La Scala ii or Cornwall IV

bmoran

Settle down gang!  Maybe these pics will help.  Got the diaphragms replaced and they're now singing!  Damn, these things throw effortless sound and make my room sound much smaller.

Regarding placement, how about in the long corners (about 28 feet apart)?  The room is cluttered with the speaker swap, but it's temporary.

IMG-4794.JPG

IMG-4795.JPG

26 minutes ago, bmoran said:

Moved them out about a foot, pulled off the wall slightly and toed the inner cabinet walls to the MLP.  Sounding pretty, pretty sweet now!  Tubes are definitely in my future

Good move. I might have a really nice tube amp for sale in the near future. We should talk............

Shakey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmoran said:

Moved them out about a foot, pulled off the wall slightly and toed the inner cabinet walls to the MLP.  Sounding pretty, pretty sweet now!  Tubes are definitely in my future

Some have them toed in to cross in front of the MLP, while I have liked them better crossed a little behind. Only experimentation will let your own ears decide which is best in your room.

Still tweaking speaker position, but these are definitely special speakers!  I could go on about their strengths, but you all know what they are...

Tried a bit of two-channel movie watching with the subs on.  Very engaging.  I may scrap the entire home theater setup and build up a simpler two-channel streaming music system instead.  Feeding Tidal through Audirvana on a Macbook via USB to a DAC/preamp, to a tube amp.  The subs will remain and I'll probably have to feed the main signal through the MiniDSP 2x4HD for bass management with REW (does amazing things with dual subs), passing the rest of the signal through to the tube amp.  Thoughts?

On 3/18/2021 at 4:22 PM, triceratops said:

Many of us have bought used Klipsch speakers over the years, only to find that one or both of the K-77's were blown

I've had mine since 1979 and they still have all original drivers (and diaphragms) in them.  Boggles my mind how someone blows one when I know what I put mine through (playing at weddings, living through college.....)  

I certainly had my moments where they screamed their lungs out.  

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I've had mine since 1979 and they still have all original drivers (and diaphragms) in them.  Boggles my mind how someone blows one when I know what I put mine through (playing at weddings, living through college.....)  

I think it's hard to blow them at any sort of humane listening volumes.  Probably a result of carelessness with plugging into a hot amp, etc.  In any case, the tweeter diaphragms aren't that hard or costly to replace and now I know how to do it.  They sound great

1 hour ago, bmoran said:

Thoughts?

Since you asked...

If it were me, (and to be honest, I almost feel bad mentioning this....especially so close to your acquisition of these)

If it were me, I'd consider putting a K402 on top of them before venturing into tubes.  The 402 will move them to a higher level again......however, it does come with the need to use an active crossover, biamp and now an extra amp (could be the tube amp you might end up with)

It would take them to a 2-way speaker and add some coherency to them because of losing a crossover.

Don't do it now....just planting seeds.....we'll get you there.

BTW, I didn't notice, where are you located?  Maybe someone is near enough where you could hear the 402's.

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

Since you asked...

If it were me, (and to be honest, I almost feel bad mentioning this....especially so close to your acquisition of these)

If it were me, I'd consider putting a K402 on top of them before venturing into tubes.  The 402 will move them to a higher level again......however, it does come with the need to use an active crossover, biamp and now an extra amp (could be the tube amp you might end up with)

It would take them to a 2-way speaker and add some coherency to them because of losing a crossover.

Don't do it now....just planting seeds.....we'll get you there.

BTW, I didn't notice, where are you located?  Maybe someone is near enough where you could hear the 402's.

I like how you think, but there's no friggin way I'm gonna swing putting giant horns on top of already giant speakers.  I'm lucky to have WAF for the LSII's.

I'm outside of Philly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bmoran said:

but there's no friggin way I'm gonna swing putting giant horns on top of already giant speakers.  I'm lucky to have WAF for the LSII's.

But keep in mind that the K402 "the tweeter" is larger than the ENTIRE LaScala if you measure them height/width

She'll love it....  :emotion-14:

1.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 1:36 PM, bmoran said:

Regarding placement, how about in the long corners (about 28 feet apart)?  The room is cluttered with the speaker swap, but it's temporary.

LaScalas 28 feet apart? I THINK you will experience "the hole in the middle" But then again you may like them that far apart. Your ears, your speakers...have fun.

6 hours ago, Coytee said:

If I remember correctly, Klipsch originally had a policy of replacing tweeters under warranty for customers that torched them. But that changed in the 1970's with the availability of Phase (Flame) Linear and other high-powered solid-state amps with destructive tendencies.

I personally melted the voice coil of an Electro-Voice SRO 12" musical instrument speaker (the predecessor of the EVM) in the early 70's, not because of the volume level, but because the amp I was using actually burst into flames. The amp (from SWTPC) was dumpster food after that, but I sent the SRO back to E-V and they rebuilt and returned it to me at no charge with no questions asked. I loved the sound of those speakers, but if you hauled your own gear they were ball-busters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, triceratops said:

If I remember correctly, Klipsch originally had a policy of replacing tweeters under warranty for customers that torched them. But that changed in the 1970's with the availability of Phase (Flame) Linear and other high-powered solid-state amps with destructive tendencies.

I personally melted the voice coil of an Electro-Voice SRO 12" musical instrument speaker (the predecessor of the EVM) in the early 70's, not because of the volume level, but because the amp I was using actually burst into flames. The amp (from SWTPC) was dumpster food after that, but I sent the SRO back to E-V and they rebuilt and returned it to me at no charge with no questions asked. I loved the sound of those speakers, but if you hauled your own gear they were ball-busters.

• That's the way I remember it, too.  Understandable, with the PL around; Klipsch recommended fast blow, in-line, fuses then, and sent dealers info on the size of the fuses recommended.  They also warned that some transients were faster than even the fast-blow fuses.

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

Boggles my mind how someone blows one when I know what I put mine through (playing at weddings, living through college.....)  

• A repair guy, in the 1960s, told me that most tweeters are blown by test signals, rewinding or fast forwarding reel to reel tape without turning the volume way down, plugging in or unplugging amps without turning them off and counting to twenty, or by Rock and Roll bands in large rooms.  Bands and movie theaters playing movies with big scores (or Woodstock) used to carry extra diaphragms. 
  • I once had a JBL tweeter that I dropped on a concrete floor.  JBL predicted a $16 fee to repair it (this was in the 1960s).  So, I shipped it off to LA.  A few days later a brand new tweeter was delivered to me with a note enclosed that read something like this, "Your tweeter would had been a pain to repair, so have a new one on us."  It came with a new lifetime guarantee.
  • Like 2