La Scala ii or Cornwall IV

bmoran

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If this is an issue, add a fast blow fuse to the tweeter circuit.  The original ALK universal has one and it saved my tweeters nce when an preamp pot made a horrible noise. 

I'd love to know the specs of what you put in the signal path.  I assume you put it between the crossover and the tweeter?

16 minutes ago, bmoran said:

The previous owner worked in big pro audio rigs for years and his hearing isn't as good as it used to be.

You just described 2/3rds of the people on this forum 🤣🤣🤣   He must have been listening to them seriously loud or accidentally popped them somehow.  The K77 isn't the most robust tweeter but the LS2 has steeper-slope crossovers to protect it to the point where Klipsch felt safe lowering the crossover frequency back down to 4.5Khz from 6khz.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I wonder if many of the posters have indeed heard the Cornwall IV or are just comparing the LS2 to a memory they have of an earlier version of the CW?  I’m not saying the LS2 isn’t better, it may be and I’d like to know too, but I’ve never heard it. I’ve only heard the original lascala. I’m pretty sure I’d take the new cornwalls over those. So is the LS2 that much better?

Again, not being difficult, but that might be an upgrade path for me.

Shakey

When you compare the original LaScala to any of the newer versions....  you will know in about 40.3204 nano-seconds that they sound better.  They'll sound like there is an additional (near) octave of bass added to them.  It (to me) is immediately noticeable.  (owned LaScalas since 1979)

Thing is....  YOUR LaScalas, as well as mine, have this (mythical) better bass in them.  All we need to do is fix those huge sides from resonating.  Seems that is destructive and really messes up that bottom end.

I'd wager that if someone took an original LaScala next to a newer version, you (or I) could tell the difference 99.99% of the time.  Now, take the original LaScala and stiffen up the side walls a bit and now it might be a totally different story.  Maybe someone could tell as easily, but I don't know that I could.

It really is an improvement.

That said, also in my opinion, since Klipsch is all about horns and low distortion, I'd personally feel that the company would also feel (as I do) that the LaScala would sound better than the Cornwall(s) simply because of the cleaner bass of the horn woofer verses added distortion of the direct/radiator.

Some folks however, might like that 'fatter' bass that the Cornwall might have over the LaScala.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmoran said:

So how'd I do at $5k?  Need some positive reinforcement here, obviously...

You bought an iconic set of used Klipsch speakers and definitely saved some money. As you found out during your search, used LaScala II's are few and far between!

Don't feel bad about the tweeters. Many of us have bought used Klipsch speakers over the years, only to find that one or both of the K-77's were blown. More often than not, the owners have no idea. The problem is if someone hooks up the speakers to a distorted signal or noise, it can send non-reproducible hash to the tweeters and fry them. It's easy to miss a blown tweeter in an audition, especially if the other tweeter is still working.

I've taken to carrying a cardboard cylinder from a paper towel roll with me to a listening session. I use it to direct the sound to one ear from each of the drivers individually to quickly identify a blown one. 

Congratulations and enjoy your LS II's!

triceratops

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, triceratops said:

You bought an iconic set of used Klipsch speakers and definitely saved some money. As you found out during your search, used LaScala II's are few and far between!

Don't feel bad about the tweeters. Many of us have bought used Klipsch speakers over the years, only to find that one or both of the K-77's were blown. More often than not, the owners have no idea. The problem is if someone hooks up the speakers to a distorted signal or noise, it can send non-reproducible hash to the tweeters and fry them. It's easy to miss a blown tweeter in an audition, especially if the other tweeter is still working.

I've taken to carrying a cardboard cylinder from a paper towel roll with me to a listening session. I use it to direct the sound to one ear from each of the drivers individually to quickly identify a blown one. 

Congratulations and enjoy your LS II's!

triceratops

Appreciate it!  I knew the tweets were off when auditioning, but considered various factors, including simplicity of the fix and difficulty in finding another comparable pair of speakers...and still bought them without hesitation!

The tweeters working/not working is a very small bump in the road. Those look terrific in that room, and that was a good price. Mine are originals... at least one of them is. The other was a clone. They sound terrific to me and I know the LS IIs are way ahead in sound and multitudes better in looks.

Bruce

20 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Recommend you disconnect the tweeters from the crossovers and measure them with a voltmeter before you attempt to get new diaphragms.  Actually surprised that they would both be damaged as there is a lot of protection built into those crossovers.

Mind elaborating?  Test the leads of the tweeters?

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Well that was really helpful.........

Well look, you made a statement that most people posting in this thread had not heard both the LS2 and the CW4.  All I said is that yes I had.  The person has already purchased the LS2, so what else is there to say?

21 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Well look, you made a statement that most people posting in this thread had not heard both the LS2 and the CW4.  All I said is that yes I had.  The person has already purchased the LS2, so what else is there to say?

Wrong. I said “I wonder if many”, I never said “most”. And I went on to say that I was genuinely curious myself because I might consider a pair. If you had something to share, that was the perfect opportunity.

But your drive by reply was cute and smug and that was the most important thing, right?