New Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX Subwoofer not working

Oddball44

I just set up my Klipsch speaker system I got from Walmart and although both my left and right speakers work fine, my subwoofer is not working.  I have tried reseating the 9 pin serial connection and trying different power outlets as well as ensuring the subwoofer's knob is turned up where it needs to be.  I have also tried to see if maybe using the AUX input would show any different results but this has sadly resulted in nothing as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what's up?

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:45 PM, Oddball44 said:

I just set up my Klipsch speaker system I got from Walmart and although both my left and right speakers work fine, my subwoofer is not working.  I have tried reseating the 9 pin serial connection and trying different power outlets as well as ensuring the subwoofer's knob is turned up where it needs to be.  I have also tried to see if maybe using the AUX input would show any different results but this has sadly resulted in nothing as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what's up?

Have you had any luck fixing this? I just got mine in yesterday and I’m having the same problem 

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks!

I was having the same issue and I was able to fix it. Remove all the surrounding screws on the back of the sub's rear plate. That will let you take the whole back piece off with all the boards attached.

I noticed the minute I looked at the board that the cable from the sub was unplugged. The connector that clips it to the board is not very strong at all. I reconnected the cable and everything works exactly as it should. 

Hopefully this helps someone having the issue of the sub not working!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 9:09 PM, cvdisace88 said:

Hi Folks!

I was having the same issue and I was able to fix it. Remove all the surrounding screws on the back of the sub's rear plate. That will let you take the whole back piece off with all the boards attached.

I noticed the minute I looked at the board that the cable from the sub was unplugged. The connector that clips it to the board is not very strong at all. I reconnected the cable and everything works exactly as it should. 

Thanks for this!!!!!

Exact same thing here. it's just a 4pin connector. If you've ever plugged a fan into a motherboard it's the same kind of cable. They must bump loose in shipping.

Edited by Keegs79

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, cvdisace88 said:

Thanks! I had a different connector loose, but it was a simple fix with this advice.

Also had this issue, subwoofer wires were not even inserted into the white plug. Inserted wires into correct pin holes for the white plug and then plugged it in. Unfortunately the connection is so bad and loose I will most likely have to reseat the plug if I ever move the subwoofer.

Other than that issue the speaker set is amazing, especially for the recent sale price of $70. If this is a common issue I would imagine a lot of returns will be happening, don't see most consumers taking apart a brand new speaker set to fix this issue.

Please remember to unplug the speakers before opening them, totally didn't make this mistake myself and got a nice shock 😅

• 7 months later...

LATE reply to this thread - but I found the same problem with a "renewed' set - bass speaker wasn't plugged in at all to circuit board.

Plugged back in, and used hot glue on connector to prevent future accidental disconnect.

they work GREAT now...

• 6 months later...

Same issue; new system purchased from Klipsch - both speakers work fine - subwoofer "out to lunch", as in "no-sound". Subwoofer initially plugged into Tripp-Lite surge protector - power appears sufficient; re-plugged into different outlet - no change-no sound. LED on control pod is white; instructions indicate the LED is green- power issue or just different color bulb??

• 6 months later...

I had the same issue with the subwoofer, but even out several years from the original post, it is not fixed by Klipsch.  I removed the back cover and found the same problem. I don't know how cvdisace88 even knew to do that, but the guy deserves major kudos for figuring out such a simple problem.   Fixed it, but disappointed that this is even an issue.  

• 3 months later...

Similar issue, but I don't think it's a loose wire. I'm using a 1/4 inch adapter to plug the headphone jack into an audio device. If it's fully inserted I get both left and right but no sub. If either loosen the jack in the adapter or the adapter in the audio device then I get left speaker and sub, but not right speaker. Any thoughts? I've tried 4 different 1/4 adapters. Everything works fine independent of each other. Headphones work fine into audio device and klipsch works fine plugged into my phone.

Edited by DJFullwood
added more explanation