SS Amplification for Cornwall III's

Hi there - been away for awhile, actually quite a while. My last posts were in regard to picking up my Cornwall III's - almost fifteen years ago! One of the best decisions I ever made. Well, I still have and enjoy them, but was wondering if anyone was successfully using either a Marantz PM8006, Yamaha A-S701, or a Marantz 2238B with them? I checked, and was unable to locate any info regarding these amps with my speakers. 

I've been using a Cary SLI-80 with the Cornies for many years, happily - but would like to give the "space heater" a break this summer. I'm not after the last word in articulation or detail, obviously - just something pleasing and non-fatiguing, that I can enjoy whether I'm sitting near field as I usually do, or from two rooms away, cranked up. I'm leaning toward either the 701 or the old receiver...unless the 8006 will provide an out of body experience.

Edit: I have a stand alone phono preamp - a Channel Islands PEQ - so an on-board phono pre isn't necessary.

thanks for the help,

Chip

• Like 2

Thinking there is a reason but do not know, Marantz having the warm, even tubelike sound, being one of your candidates. Was speaking vintage mostly, but almost sure that the newer PMs follow suit, about the warmth part anyway.

While waiting, if haven't, try searching the entire forum for those models of amps. Certain you will find some info that way.

There certainly has been alot of rap on those newer models here.

Edit: And thinking for myself, would want at least 100 wpc, depending upon your volume.

Even think that vintage should light up your experience seeing as how the Cornwall being so efficient.

Edited by billybob

Hey there. I'd agree. And probably any of them would be ok, given the efficiency of Cornwalls. The 100 wpc is appealing, but since I've never heard any SS gear through the speakers, I'm not sure that would be the best choice - for me. I'll check the other forums in the meantime, thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 1

I currently use a NAD M22 V2 with Cornwall 4s.  I did have Cornwall IIIs before.   I have used a Marantz 7055, Parasound A21 and the NAD M22 V2 with the Cornwall IIIs.  I like the NAD the best.  The parasound changed the sound in the midrange.  The NAD was more neutral.  The Marantz amp sounded good, but I like the other two amps better.  Its been awhile and I can't remember why exactly.  Also, I had no need for a multichannel amp.  My Marantz receiver did just fine on movies etc. 

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

What about a hi powered amp like a Parasound or Emotiva?

I like your screen name....

Thank you. It's a carry over from some time ago. Still like my LP's though. I believe the Parasound is probably over my budget of around $1000 US - the Halo, anyway. I've never heard of Emotiva, and will look into them. Tennessee? Interesting, I'm in Kentucky - thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S2Wheels said:

I currently use a NAD M22 V2 with Cornwall 4s.  I did have Cornwall IIIs before.   I have used a Marantz 7055, Parasound A21 and the NAD M22 V2 with the Cornwall IIIs.  I like the NAD the best.  The parasound changed the sound in the midrange.  The NAD was more neutral.  The Marantz amp sounded good, but I like the other two amps better.  Its been awhile and I can't remember why exactly.  Also, I had no need for a multichannel amp.  My Marantz receiver did just fine on movies etc. 

The NAD M22 sounds great, but the master series is currently out of my price range. Really, I'm looking for a decent amp that I can use during the summer, and to give the tubes - and my AC - a break during the warmer months. I have a now ancient NAD 314. One channel is dead, and it was so inexpensive that I will probably not pursue a repair. I never tried it with the Cornwall's, but I think it was around 35 wpc.

2 channels are all I need - no bluetooth or USB inputs required, either. That's why the 701 and old Marantz receiver appeal. 

1 hour ago, C10 said:

What is your budget? Have been very happy with my CW4 and a First Watt F8.

Apologies - I should've stated that up front. Right around $1000 give or take. Yeah the First Watt is way past what I can do right now. I love my Cary, it does just about everything right for me, but It generates a lot of heat. The summer amp doesn't need to be of the same caliber, just needs to be pleasing and non-fatiguing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Might consider this...

https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

or

https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir

They give home trials

miketn 

Interesting - I've heard of Schiit, but have never considered them - thanks. I'm still tending towards my three picks though, so far - pending any reported experiences with them.

This is slightly off topic, but I'll post it anyway. A couple months back, I broke my Cary SLP 98 preamp, which powers a Dennis Had Inspire Hot Rod amp. I had a Pioneer Elite receiver laying around that I bought for a future home theater system. I threw that in place of the tube equipment while the preamp was sent out for repairs. I could not get satisfactory sound no matter what I tried. It has a class D amp, and it doesn't sound good with music. Probably be fine with movies. I ended up buying another SLP 98 to use in the interim ( Cary is backed up 8 weeks on repairs).

3 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

This is slightly off topic, but I'll post it anyway. A couple months back, I broke my Cary SLP 98 preamp, which powers a Dennis Had Inspire Hot Rod amp. I had a Pioneer Elite receiver laying around that I bought for a future home theater system. I threw that in place of the tube equipment while the preamp was sent out for repairs. I could not get satisfactory sound no matter what I tried. It has a class D amp, and it doesn't sound good with music. Probably be fine with movies. I ended up buying another SLP 98 to use in the interim ( Cary is backed up 8 weeks on repairs).

That's another reason I'd like an option to running the Cary all of the time. I don't like the idea of being without it involuntarily. It's made the trip to NC a couple of times, for issues and upgrades. The shipping boxes were mangled, I'd probably have to drive it there and wait for it, next time lol. I'm right there with you.

• Like 1

Hi @strictlylespaul

I use an MC2125 in the bass is a Cary SLi50 in the midrange/treble. I listened to both in mono amplification, if the MC and Cary compete in the midrange/treble it is not at all the same in the bass, The MC is far superior. If you find a McIntosh (certainly an integrated one for you) from the 70s / 80s in good condition and if possible with autotransformers believe me you will be satisfied.

For information concerning the CARY: My Cary SLI50 was manufactured in 1996, I bought it new in 1998 and it is in great shape. In 2001 I just changed an interuptor and 2 resistors in preventive by more powerful ones because they seemed a little hot to me: since it works every day without ever having a breakdown. It wears very little the tubes and I respect the heating time well.

1273570656_DSC_0285(2).thumb.JPG.bdd60b45469ccabdc9f32237eff3a372.JPG

• Like 2