where are all the base bin plans for a Cornscala

merkin

I have 3 Bells that I put in the Volti upgrades and Crites woofers in.   So I have 3 K33's , k500 horns,  2 k55 m and1 k55 v and 3 k77's gaining dust in my storage.  I thought I might build some boxes get some new crossovers and fire them up.   They could just as well collect dust that way.  There use to be some plans on here but I think they were all prior to the conversion to the new form site.  I just need the base bin for the K33's without anything else in the cabinet.  I have very modest wood working skills and thought I might just come up with something for my kid that is not too expensive.  Any help or links would be much appreciated.  

I believe the Cornwalls are roughly 6.5cuft if i remeber correctly, the cabinet shape would likely have to be modified slightly as the k-500 is a longer horn than the k-600 but would need to verify that. Not sure about any other specifics I'm sure others will chime in sounds like a cool project that you and the kid will enjoy good luck!

11 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Do you know exactly which adapter to use for a k55 to mount on a 510 horn? I know volti has some cool ones that have a throat that progressively gets larger to mount on his horns. Seems like that’d be better than just a flush mount. 

Mark, I can't say, but there is a HUGE difference when you hear a 2 inch throat driver. The adapter will be somewhat of a  compromise, and you could save your money for the larger format drivers.

38 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Mark, I can't say, but there is a HUGE difference when you hear a 2 inch throat driver. The adapter will be somewhat of a  compromise, and you could save your money for the larger format drivers.

34 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Definitely agree with the above. There a huge number of 2 inch drivers available (and at various price points).

Well, I was trying to avoid going down the active crossover path and as for as I know that will be a must once I use a 2” driver.

8 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

Well, I was trying to avoid going down the active crossover path and as for as I know that will be a must once I use a 2” driver.

That is not exactly the case. 

First things first 1) are you interested in a two-way or a three-way system? 2) are you interested in a system with controlled dispersion (on-axis and off--axis frequency response is approximately comparable)?

BTW, an active crossover has a number of benefits and does not need to be very expensive.

31 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

That is not exactly the case. 

First things first 1) are you interested in a two-way or a three-way system? 2) are you interested in a system with controlled dispersion (on-axis and off--axis frequency response is approximately comparable)?

BTW, an active crossover has a number of benefits and does not need to be very expensive.

All of those questions are yet to be answered, lol. Right now, it’s in a 3-way configuration. I have 510 and K55v on hand which is why I posed the question. Maybe there is a better horn to use with the 55 without an adapter like one of the zxpc horns, or maybe 511b. I know there is a lot to gain from going active but it also has quite the learning curve that I’m not sure I’m ready for just yet. 

There is a learning curve, but it is less than the curve for implementing an analog crossover.

My friendly suggestion is to use a specific configuration done by BEC / Crites (he had several choices). Use one of those since Crites had already worked out a useable crossover for those particular configurations. Do not start swapping port geometries and cabinet volumes, drivers and horns around. Those changes would only alter what was originally designed to work as a system. If you do, then you would be in the quicksand of " .... but someone on the internet said it would sound good ...."

Some careful decision making (and choice of compromises) up front will make the plan more successful.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

Thanks Marvel,  I already checked that thread and all of the JWC links come up with error.   What I really need is the exact size of the port platform.  I remember from ancient times on here that there was a lot of discussion about those.  I had some talk with Dr. Who about it once.  Is he even still on the board?   A lot of those old threads are missing since they made the conversion to the new forum platform.   I know JWC had a very good drawing of the dimensions.  

Thanks tigerwoodshorns but I'm sticking with the k500 since I have them and the point of this was to use up what I have setting around.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:48 PM, merkin said:

What I really need is the exact size of the port platform.

Bob's original started as a test box, which was pretty much a box with the Cornwall volume and dimensions (as well as I recall). I have Cornwall plans here somewhere if those would help, but it will be later this afternoon or evening before I can post them.

You might call Michael Crites and ask him, or drop an email to him.

2 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

Crites has the speaker box plans on their website last I looked

No longer, it seems. The speakers have been renamed the Crites CS-1 and CS-1.5. (With versions A, B, C & D)

All the pages referring to the speakers by the old name are in rewrite status. Perhaps to avoid any confusion as to the provenance of the speakers.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:52 PM, merkin said:

I have 3 Bells that I put in the Volti upgrades and Crites woofers in.   So I have 3 K33's , k500 horns,  2 k55 m and1 k55 v and 3 k77's gaining dust in my storage.  I thought I might build some boxes get some new crossovers and fire them up.   They could just as well collect dust that way.  There use to be some plans on here but I think they were all prior to the conversion to the new form site.  I just need the base bin for the K33's without anything else in the cabinet.  I have very modest wood working skills and thought I might just come up with something for my kid that is not too expensive.  Any help or links would be much appreciated.  

the hardest components to make for a speaker is the motorboard  ,  I would buy 3 motorboards from Crites speakers , these are cut from 3/4 inch Birch wood ,  the rest of the panels can be cut with plans at any lumber yard who have a good track saw  -  the only issue would be the K500 mids horn , these are longer than the K600 , they would require the  fabrication  of  a square wood extension at the rear of the cab to allow the driver to jot out and be contained in the   wood housing - the k  500 would also improve the sound being a 500Hz Horn -

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 3/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, JBCODD said:

No longer, it seems. The speakers have been renamed the Crites CS-1 and CS-1.5. (With versions A, B, C & D)

All the pages referring to the speakers by the old name are in rewrite status. Perhaps to avoid any confusion as to the provenance of the speakers.

I would say from the language on the first page of website the name change was to avoid running into Tradmark issues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1