best folded or tapped horn sub to match La Scalas

rmichael21

I want to build subs to match my La Scalas. I am a very skilled carpenter and I have no size restrictions .I want them only for music so fast and clean .I'm thinking performance in the 30-60 hz range is most important and I would prefer a build designed for a specific driver that is currently available. It's not money is no object but I'm not afraid to pony up. I appreciate any feedback

I’ve been very happy with the two “lilmike Cinema F-20” subwoofers I built this winter. Others on the forum have documented this design in the subwoofer section.

I am a novice woodworker and the plans were simple and easy to follow.

MiniDSP is the crossover I use.

Edited by The Green Hornet
Clarity
  • Like 3

Using the Dayton RSS 390 HF, which others on the forum seemed satisfied with. Powered by a Crown XLI 2500. I am not pushing them very hard but I believe I could break my windows if I tried. I would be interested in the lilwrecker as well.

Have you looked into plans for the Danley spud or DTS-10?

Schu’s suggestions look like beautiful builds that complement the La Scala design nicely.

For music only stick with a conventional horn, not tapped. The Cinema F-20 is about the easiest horn sub there is to build.  I've built 3 of them.  If the footprint is an issue, go with the long version of BFM's Tuba HT.  It's a more complex build than the F-20 plus you have to pay for the plans but if you need a slightly smaller footprint than the F-20 that's the way to go.

• Like 7

On 3/19/2021 at 8:01 AM, The Green Hornet said:

Using the Dayton RSS 390 HF, which others on the forum seemed satisfied with. Powered by a Crown XLI 2500. I am not pushing them very hard but I believe I could break my windows if I tried. I would be interested in the lilwrecker as well.

Schu’s suggestions look like beautiful builds that complement the La Scala design nicely.

Never heard back from Schu. I really want to build something that looks cool (can't help it) but im going to go with a series of basic subs in parallel I believe. I'll give you updates;it'll be a couple weeks. gonna finish sanding the LSs tomorrow and coat in a layer of glass next week. 

• Like 1

Awesome!

A big improvement with my La Scala’s was when I added a second Klipsch ksw-12 subwoofer.

Horn loaded subwoofers blend very well with the La Scala, the f-20’s were a large improvement over the ksw-12’s.

As CECAA850 mentioned, BFM has the Tuba HT to consider if you haven’t checked it out already https://billfitzmaurice.info 

Code,

which one though? the only one with recommended driver which is available seems to be the Bill Fitz builds. I would probably build the pro 48 but I'm curious with all the folds will there be time alignment issues? LSs have very short folds, I don't want to build something to have it not fit in 

On 3/19/2021 at 8:01 AM, The Green Hornet said:

Having designed, built, purchased, etc. every type of sub on the market, a LaScala stop being a horn at about 104 Hz. So you need a Front Loaded Horn to reach that 80-100 hz. range where LaScalas SHOULD be crossed over from to a subwoofer. Therefore, unless you built a Josh Ricci OThorn, tapped horns are out. I had both versions of Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT, regular and Low Profile (my favorite). The F-20 is also a good choice and easier to build than either of the BF designs. The RSS 390 Driver is the optimum choice for any of the 3 Front Loaded Horns you should build. The low distortion and efficiency of those will match the LaScalas perfectly! No tapped horns for you. The low profile THTLP would be my first choice if you are not afraid of the build, since the tall and slim footprint matches that of a Cornwall, you can do it with minimum square feet of floor by just pointing them UP.

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
7 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Having designed, built, purchased, etc. every type of sub on the market, a LaScala stop being a horn at about 104 Hz. So you need a Front Loaded Horn to reach that 80-100 hz. range where LaScalas SHOULD be crossed over from to a subwoofer. Therefore, unless you built a Josh Ricci OThorn, tapped horns are out. I had both versions of Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT, regular and Low Profile (my favorite). The F-20 is also a good choice and easier to build than either of the BF designs. The RSS 390 Driver is the optimum choice for any of the 3 Front Loaded Horns you should build. The low distortion and efficiency of those will match the LaScalas perfectly! No tapped horns for you. The low profile THTLP would be my first choice if you are not afraid of the build, since the tall and slim footprint matches that of a Cornwall, you can do it with minimum square feet of floor by just pointing them UP.

At 104....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

At 104....

Certainly not 50, but then again, I'm pretty sure the Fletcher-Munson curves and the modern ISO version were derived from Headphone listening so trying to match those with real speakers would seem to me to create way too much low bass in any acoustically small room, so I've never made that attempt.

I've never looked at or owned your 1802, but I'm sure a couple of those in a room (middle front and middle rear) would be a great match also if someone could afford the money and the space! Oui???

5 hours ago, rmichael21 said:

I might build the Othorn. It seems to target the exact range I'm looking for 35-80hz. Do you think it being tapped is a big issue? I don't really know enough

I have one, so I wouldn't discourage you for music. Now that there are more affordable 21" drivers (LaVoce), but the lumber cost is the same, and it's the ONLY Tapped Horn I would recommend if you go that route.

That being said, the original B&C 21" Driver (or the new Eminence version) will trip a 20 Amp breaker if you plug in the OThorn directly into and AC socket. But for a brief moment before that happens, you would scare small children and probably chase varmints off your property for about 200 ft. and require an immediate roll of toilet paper! 60 Hz. at 135 db is not something to be taken lightly.

13 hours ago, rmichael21 said:

I might build the Othorn. It seems to target the exact range I'm looking for 35-80hz. Do you think it being tapped is a big issue? I don't really know enough

There's been good advice given in this thread.  You may want to re-read it.

• Like 2

At the risk of repeating what others have already said, I find the BFM THT to be a perfect match to LaScala bass bins.  I built a ~30" wide version.  It hits 24hz in my room and can easily extend up to 80hz or higher, though I find better sound by EQing the LS bass bins flat down to about 50hz and letting the sub take over from there.  The bass is deep, goes as loud as you want it to, and is CLEAN!  No wooly or boomy bass at all.  And when I say loud, I mean LOUD.  You can literally shake pictures off the walls.  Not kidding at all.

The only sub I had in this system beforehand was a cheap bass-reflex 12"er that added more boominess than anything.  The THT just sounds like you have a really big set of LS bass bins.  Blends perfectly.  The only downside I can think of is that they are HUGE and HEAVY, but that is true for any horn sub.  I would love to have a second one, not for extra SPL but for smoothing the in-room response a bit.  I would have a hard time finding space for a second one though.  Maybe some day....

• Like 4