best folded or tapped horn sub to match La Scalas

rmichael21

@ClaudeJ1 – I am just curious, your personal experience pretty much runs the gamut regarding subs... I am curious about the LAB 12, 18' tapped horn (Danley was involved in the early drawings that circulate the Web, I think; have I got this right? and its DNA seems to cross with the DTS10 and 20). It seems conspicuously absent from the thread, above... I sense I may be missing something.

Also, there seems to be some agreement that a tapped-horn is misplaced with LaScalas... why is that?

[As an aside: I just finished my LAB 12 this past week... and, although I am enjoying it--because it is the only horn sub I've ever had--I am in no position to make comments about how it might compare with other designs]

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 10:59 AM, Endo said:

@ClaudeJ1 – I am just curious, your personal experience pretty much runs the gamut regarding subs... I am curious about the LAB 12, 18' tapped horn (Danley was involved in the early drawings that circulate the Web, I think; have I got this right? and its DNA seems to cross with the DTS10 and 20). It seems conspicuously absent from the thread, above... I sense I may be missing something.

Also, there seems to be some agreement that a tapped-horn is misplaced with LaScalas... why is that?

[As an aside: I just finished my LAB 12 this past week... and, although I am enjoying it--because it is the only horn sub I've ever had--I am in no position to make comments about how it might compare with other designs]

The benefit to a tapped horn is that you'll get more output than a FLH.  The downside is that it's not quite as clean and has a smaller frequency response that it can be used.  Most won't go cleanly up to 100Hz.

• Thanks 1

Off topic: @The Green Hornet, what is the story behind your avatar. I actually had a bottle opener that had that same four eyed dude.

Never figured out the meaning.

On topic: I have small tapped horns that seem to play well with my Belles. Adds to the bottom end nicely.

I have only heard one true horn sub and that was a THTLP that belongs to @codewritinfool It was very nice. Filled in the lower octaves with authority and never drew unwanted attention to itself like many DR subs that I have heard tend to do.

• Like 2

@MookieStl, my avatar is something inspired from a pressing of Pink Floyd’s Relics album. I was always mesmerized by its weirdness as a kid and only found out later that it was a bottle opener. I’d kind of like to have one but have been to lazy to seek one out. Production began in the 1930’s by Wilton apparently.

AFDCFB82-46E6-4023-AC68-B5BF50BB6469.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Off topic: @The Green Hornet, what is the story behind your avatar. I actually had a bottle opener that had that same four eyed dude.

On topic: I have small tapped horns that seem to play well with my Belles. Adds to the bottom end nicely.

I have only heard one true horn sub and that was a THTLP that belongs to @codewritinfool It was very nice. Filled in the lower octaves with authority and never drew unwanted attention to itself like many DR subs that I have heard tend to do.

Maybe you'll get to hear another one someday, one that won't break either of our backs.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Bill F. Titan 48s that sounded great with my MWM setup.  I eventually replaced them with 684s and 884s to go with all Klipsch.  They have been hanging around and I'll be selling them at some point if anyone is interested.

• 6 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, MookieStl said:

Regarding meaning, I think its playing with the idea of double vision: imagine the confusion an unsuspecting drinker might have as they're handed this bottle opener after already having a few... they look down at the bottle they're about to open and pause... thinking, "whoa, ... am I seeing double, or does this crazy opener actually have two sets of eyes?" ... and everybody laughs!

• Like 3