Questions about the Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme w/Cream and pCat Monoblocks

Peacemaker

I've recently posted about wanting to explore using tubes with my La Scalas which I've had for a couple of years. Up to this point I've always used solid state gear for about 30 years. I've received a lot of helpful feedback from many forum members about tube amplifiers and related issues.

As a result, I've been researching many different tube amps and watching the various units that have come up for sale on the forum. Recently, a Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme with Cream and a set of pCAT monoblocks were posted which made me wonder if this would be a good way for me to jump in and experience tubes. But I have some questions about these units that I was hoping some could help me with. I have been in contact with the seller via PM and he's been extremely helpful, and, like me, he also recently jumped into tubes. He suggested I post some of my questions here to learn more about this line.

First question, what do you know about this Juicy Music gear and would you recommend it as a first step into tubes? Any pros or cons? Any members have experience with these units?

Also, my music tastes range from classical to hard rock and mostly everything in between.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As Mike mentions, Juicy Music is a company founded by Mark Deneen -- a former forum member here.  He has since retired from this business several years ago.

I'm a current owner of Juicy Music pCATs and have owned them since new (cira 2007-ish).  While I don't own the Blueberry, I do own the Peach and Peach II preamps which are very similar but without a phono stage.  All of the Juicy Music line of equipment offer high performance and great value.

While the preamps are fantastic and great values, what are truly special in my opinion are the pCATs.  There weren't many made and have very rarely come up for sale.  Not only do I think they would be a good first step into tubes, but they may also be your last.  It won't be easy (or inexpensive) to improve upon this level of performance.

• Like 2

He was pretty active....  but something (in my opinion) short circuited within him....  he decided one day that he was done and going to leave the forum....  **AND** he wanted ALL of his posts deleted that he had ever posted.  I recall that got a bit contentious but they either deleted or hid them.

I don't know any real specifics on what happened....that's just my interpretation (above) based on what I saw as a bystander.

I also had one of his early unit Peach preamps and it always sounded great.

5 hours ago, Peacemaker said:

How long have you been gone?

Graduated on the 5 year plan from Miami-Oxford.  Left town for Sioux City Iowa for my first job as an "educated person" in 1984  Been back to visit but have lived in Knoxville area since 1987

• Like 1

Graduated on the 5 year plan from Miami-Oxford.  Left town for Sioux City Iowa for my first job as an "educated person" in 1984  Been back to visit but have lived in Knoxville area since 1987
Thanks for sharing this. Traveled to M. U. from O.S.U. often from '82 through '84 getting "educated" in Tappan Hall. [emoji16]

I grew up a bit south of you in Arlington Heights-Lockland. After a college came a stint in the USAF and then job, family etc. Ended up in West Chester/Liberty Township 27 years ago. We visit Gatlinburg annually and have for years. Amazing what you learn about folks as you get to know them. Small world really.

I spent a week playing at a coffee house program there around 1970. That's a pretty part of Ohio.
That area and campus is beautiful. In fact, yesterday we visited Hueston Woods did some hiking and sightseeing.

Were you in a band and do you still play? One of our hobbies is traveling to hear live music, from small to large venues and we listen to a wide range of genres. Although that really didn't happen in the year that shall go unspoken.

32 minutes ago, Peacemaker said:

We visit Gatlinburg annually and have for years.

If you make the trip again......  I'd be willing to let you stop at Chesters Pizza on Rt. 4 to bring down a pizza for me!

Side story:  Grew up on Chesters so it's a favorite.  When at Miami, my two room mates felt same.  At the drop of a hat, we'd skip dinner plans and drive to Chesters for dinner, then drive back to campus.

years later, one of those (who was forever a prankster) was driving to Hilton Head, said he'd bring me a Chesters.  I was giddy....  Timing didn't allow us to meetup BUT, he did leave the box on my porch.  I get home after work and it's all I can think of....to get oven fired up and reheat that thing and consume it in its entirety....  Grab box, run inside, turn oven on...change clothes as oven is warming....  go back down, mouth watering.  Open box so I can place pizza into oven.....and do you want to know what that SOB did???

That SOB that I love dearly, had EATEN my pizza in its entirety.....and taken a couple pieces of 2x4 lumber, cut them and taped them to the box giving it the feel that the pizza was in there.

Yes, this was nearing 30 years ago.....I have still never forgiven him......I have still never OUT pranked him for that prank and yes, we still laugh uncontrollably about it when we discuss it today.

That was one of the best 'gotcha's' he ever gave and I (unfortunately) ever received.  I was about ready to burst with excitement....and instead, he totally burst me with deflation.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Coytee said:

If you make the trip again......  I'd be willing to let you stop at Chesters Pizza on Rt. 4 to bring down a pizza for me!

Side story:  Grew up on Chesters so it's a favorite.  When at Miami, my two room mates felt same.  At the drop of a hat, we'd skip dinner plans and drive to Chesters for dinner, then drive back to campus.

years later, one of those (who was forever a prankster) was driving to Hilton Head, said he'd bring me a Chesters.  I was giddy....  Timing didn't allow us to meetup BUT, he did leave the box on my porch.  I get home after work and it's all I can think of....to get oven fired up and reheat that thing and consume it in its entirety....  Grab box, run inside, turn oven on...change clothes as oven is warming....  go back down, mouth watering.  Open box so I can place pizza into oven.....and do you want to know what that SOB did???

That SOB that I love dearly, had EATEN my pizza in its entirety.....and taken a couple pieces of 2x4 lumber, cut them and taped them to the box giving it the feel that the pizza was in there.

Yes, this was nearing 30 years ago.....I have still never forgiven him......I have still never OUT pranked him for that prank and yes, we still laugh uncontrollably about it when we discuss it today.

That was one of the best 'gotcha's' he ever gave and I (unfortunately) ever received.  I was about ready to burst with excitement....and instead, he totally burst me with deflation.

I'd be happy to do that for you and promise I won't prank you. ;)  I was first introduced to Chester's Pizza around 1980 and went there often over the next year before leaving for OSU.