Speaker Room Dimensions

CLUBSTA

Hello everyone,

Im looking into buying Klipsch speakers for my room, the dimensions are 27ft across the long wall and 16ft across the short wall with 7ft ceilings.

Ive narrowed my choices to Klipschorn AK6, La Scala AL5 or Cornwall IV.  Any suggestions as to which speakers would be the best fit in a room this large?

Thanks 

2 hours ago, CLUBSTA said:

Any suggestions as to which speakers would be the best fit in a room this large?

Any of the three that you mentioned.  With such a low ceiling (7'), I'd recommend the Cornwall IV due to its midrange horn not experiencing "pattern flip" (a.k.a., "collapsing polars" midrange horn) that the La Scala II and the Khorn experience below 2 kHz. 

If you might consider the best sound quality--I recommend horn-loaded bass, coupled with a K-402 horn on top, and avoid the K-401 midrange horn in the Khorn and the La Scala II.  A Klipsch Jubilee (the present two-way version using DSP crossover) would be the best sound quality--by far.  You can talk to Cory at Paducah Home Theater and speak to him to find out the particulars.  After this summer, the price of Jubilees takes a massive jump upward from about the Khorn price, to $35K/pair:

Chris

If you look at the link I posted above, the current Jubilee isn't $35K, which was my point.  You have an opportunity now to avoid that cost and come in right at $15K...

s-l1600.jpg

But if you're not interested in the Jubilee, then I'd recommend either the Cornwall IV or perhaps even a JubScala (DIY) for a lot less than $15K using existing La Scala bass bins and K-402-HF assemblies (a DIY alternative to a La Scala II, but not having any issues with midrange horn pattern flip):

Frank-van-Kasteren-JubScala-3-blog-hero-

The above with a K-402, and the following with a K-510 horn (not quite as good sound quality, but very good still):

JubeScala II.JPG

All three configurations require DSP crossovers, bi-amping the bass bin separate from the HF horn/driver. 

Low ceilings and pattern-flip midrange horns don't mix very well, in my experience.  I don't recommend the Khorn or the La Scala II with a 7' ceiling, unless you're into a lot of acoustic treatments to mitigate the ceiling (and floor) bounce.

Chris

• Like 2

But If you buy the current model Jubilees NOW, right away, before the price goes up, they cost about what Klipschorns would.  Call Cory at Paducah Home Theater -- 270-556-8427 -- to see what is possible right away.  This may be the audio opportunity of a lifetime.

36 minutes ago, CLUBSTA said:

Thanks everyone but the WAF is not looking too good for the Jubilees.  It looks like the Cornwall IV might be my best option due to the low ceiling.  Any other options please let me know, I appreciate it.

Before you say "no", have a look at some of the strategies folks have adopted to dress the Jubilees up a bit. See what Kudret, Rigma, etc (myself included) did to make them less industrial looking. The footprint is the same as a Klipschorn and can be tucked into a corner (believe me your wife will barely notice them ....). 

They really do sound that good. In fact there is (or was?) a used pair for sale by Arron?? in Connecticut at an attractive price

9 minutes ago, skypilot_one said:

The Jubilees look a little like Belle's on steroids.

PrestonTom, I'm located in Gales Ferry. Can't PM you however I'd like to opportunity to speak, get your opinions.

Yes, I am nearby in Preston. I can contact you the middle of next week. Go ahead and have a look at how I and others have dressed up their Jubilees. With a bit of imagination, you might be able to fit them into your own living room. 

BTW, a few more posts and you will be able to PM (it is an anti-spam technique)

That sounds good. 

I remember speaking to Paul, a long time ago, somewhere between 1992-1995. He sent me his white papers and a little pocket knife. I had mentioned adding bass reflex to the Klipschorn and Lascala back then. He wasn't having it :). With the more simple folded horn of the Jubilee I would think there would be less distortion and delay than a K-horn. It's interesting that the bass reflex tuned ports are entering into the horn bell, if I'm viewing the animation properly. I would have thought you'd get some cancellation, unless the bass produced by the ports is below the horn cutoff. I like the design, reminds me of concert level folded horns from the 30's and 70's, but with the addition of the bass reflex and DSP.

Have they changed the design of the Jubilee base horn? I have seen a version drawn with a longer horn extending into the portion that's now being shown as the reflex volume. Also, the new design is showing one woofer whereas the older design has two.

Edited by skypilot_one