Soundstream/Krell or Adcom?

Wolfden

I am looking to buy another amp, I have come across two that I am interested in, one is an Adcom 555 II for $500 the other is Soundstream DA1 with preamp C1 for $800. The Adcom is firm $500 one owner and the Soundstream amp and preamp maybe some room for negotiation. The DA1 had the Caps replaced about 6 months ago. By the way those caps are huge! Looking for some thoughts on this. I now have a Sunfire 300 and was also wondering how those other two amps compared to it. My speakers are LSi and klf-30, just wondering what the general consensus is thanks.

Edited by Wolfden
I misspoke

I personally would be hesitant at the price of these older amplifier models when IMHO a very well designed amplifier like the Shiit Vidar is available New for $699.00 with 5 year warranty and a free in home trial.  I have used one for about 2yrs for my horn sub and have been very pleased.

https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Anyway good luck with your amplifier search Wolfden...

miketn🙂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wolfden said:

I now have a Sunfire 300 and was also wondering how those other two amps compared to it. My speakers are LSi and klf-30, just wondering what the general consensus is thanks.

What's wrong with the Sunfire?

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

What's wrong with the Sunfire?

Nothing is wrong with the Sunfire, it's a fantastic amp, if I could find another for a fair price I would ****** it up but all I'm able to find thus far is the Adcom and the the D1 dual mono. Right now I'm running the LSi with the sun fire, I also have a set of klf 30s so I am looking for another amp

8 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I personally would be hesitant at the price of these older amplifier models when IMHO a very well designed amplifier like the Shiit Vidar is available New for $699.00 with 5 year warranty and a free in home trial.  I have used one for about 2yrs for my horn sub and have been very pleased.

https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Anyway good luck with your amplifier search Wolfden...

miketn🙂

I just like older quality gear that has stood the test of time. Thank you for your suggestions though, I may look into them

Edited by Wolfden

• 2 weeks later...

A 555 is a good choice, and I agree it is overpriced when compared to other 555's being offered out there. It seems like every time I have a deal made to get one it falls through for some reason. It's frustrating, but I will add one to my collection at some point.

If you are buying the 555 because you want a Nelson Pass designed Adcom, you should walk away from the 555 II because it came along AFTER he was involved and according to him the company "tried" to improve on his design and were not successful. I got that from a video interview where he was discussing his involvement in the 555 and other Adcom efforts.

• 4 weeks later...

I still have my Soundstream Reference amps from back in the day. Also have the Sony ES system that drove them. All boxed up to waste away. They are 12V car audio. Krell must have jumped on the bandwagon and licensed the name for a trial run in the home market. While everyone else was out buying anything with 1000W stamped on it (false advertising and would blow up in 12 months) I was killing it with pure Class A sound quality capable of driving 1/2 ohm loads. I remember Sony TA-N9000ES is the one you wanted for your home. You can buy the Krell for a collectors item or just use it to grill your steaks because it will surely be hot enough to do a good job of that. The Adcom 555 II has now long been a boat anchor without a full restoration which can easily be done, but will cost you more than you pay for it. Those parts did not stand the test of time.