Soundstream/Krell or Adcom?

Wolfden

Hey folks, I am in search of another amplifier and have come across 2 I am interested in, one being Adcom 555 ll for $500 which I am familiar with and like and and the other is a Soundstream da1 amp with the C1 preamp for $650 and is a dual mono amp, which I think is sought-after? I was aware of their superb car amps but wasn't aware they designed home amps. any ideas? The speakers are LSi and klf-30 oh I forgot to mention before beer can size capacitors in The Sound Stream have been replaced within the last 6 months. Thanks

Edited by Wolfden
Afterthought
  • Like 1

No, but the Adcom 555 sure sounds familiar.  My friend years ago in the 1990's bought a new Adcom, and I think it might have been a 555.  It was a stout amp.  While still under warranty, it had (transformer/power supply?) issues, and I forgot how it was resolved - I think with a replacement amp of the same model.  I don't know if the problem was a one-off or not, but I will confirm it was a very stout amp.  He drove Klipsch Chorus I's with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wolfden said:

Is anyone familiar with Soundstream da1 amps?

Not at all, interesting though i had no idea they made home audio equipment-- i was a huge fan of their car audio equipment back in the day I used to own a Reference 700 power amplifier powering a pair of their SPL-10 subs behind the seats in my little Toyota truck .5 cuft slant boxes boy did they sound good.

soundstream 700s.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, billybob said:

See now, you were including Krell in your choice of the Soundstream.

You may want to demo, and locate the specs. Did the owner of the amp, or a shop do the work...

Local shop did the work, I've been there a few times myself over the years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well just a follow-up in case anybody sees this, I ended up getting both amps. I needed another amp anyway and my LSi's with the AL xos sounded like crap with the Sunfire 300, not a good pairing for my ears however the Sunfire Rocks the hell out of the klf 30s. So I start the listening process with the Adcom 555 ll, way better sound out of the lSi's, none of that honky sound I was getting from the sunfire. With the Sunfire I had to EQ 125 to 250 Hertz way down just to listen at a moderately loud level and I like my music loud. So I'm really happy with the Adcom, now it's time for the Soundstream da1 dual mono. I just hooked it up this morning and right away sounded better than even the Adcom, right off the bat the two main differences where the Soundstream has better Bass and I didn't have to turn the volume as high as with the Adcom to hit my happy spot. I'll give this a couple of weeks see if I still feel the same but so far the Soundstream for me is better sounding with the lSi's with the AL xos. Speaker / amp pairing definitely makes a difference. Also there were some that says $500 is steep for the Adcom 555 ll, but based on what I've seen that's about the going rate online plus shipping and down here 500 local pickup is what they go for when they come up for sale, though I have seen a few to go for less than $500 the majority of them are 500+. I can't find a lot of information on the Soundstream da1 but it seems pretty unanimous that it was a Krell design

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfden said:

Well just a follow-up in case anybody sees this, I ended up getting both amps. I needed another amp anyway and my LSi's with the AL xos sounded like crap with the Sunfire 300, not a good pairing for my ears however the Sunfire Rocks the hell out of the klf 30s. So I start the listening process with the Adcom 555 ll, way better sound out of the lSi's, none of that honky sound I was getting from the sunfire. With the Sunfire I had to EQ 125 to 250 Hertz way down just to listen at a moderately loud level and I like my music loud. So I'm really happy with the Adcom, now it's time for the Soundstream da1 dual mono. I just hooked it up this morning and right away sounded better than even the Adcom, right off the bat the two main differences where the Soundstream has better Bass and I didn't have to turn the volume as high as with the Adcom to hit my happy spot. I'll give this a couple of weeks see if I still feel the same but so far the Soundstream for me is better sounding with the lSi's with the AL xos. Speaker / amp pairing definitely makes a difference. Also there were some that says $500 is steep for the Adcom 555 ll, but based on what I've seen that's about the going rate online plus shipping and down here 500 local pickup is what they go for when they come up for sale, though I have seen a few to go for less than $500 the majority of them are 500+. I can't find a lot of information on the Soundstream da1 but it seems pretty unanimous that it was a Krell design

Ta dah!

AL Schematic - Mod to Type AA.jpg

4 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Ta dah!

AL Schematic - Mod to Type AA.jpg

LOL. Yeah I see that. I've definitely heard the Al is it bad design but I don't know but it sounds really good with different amp suffice it to say I've no experience with any other design. This is my first set of heritage and they came with the Al. So far I'm very pleased with just the amp swap.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billybob said:

My only pair of LS came with the AL...I liked the sound also.

Cool! Happy is good...

Hey Billy Bob, just out of curiosity have you ever had the opportunity to compare the sound of different Crossovers and lascala? If so what is the big difference? Also what amp are you running to them?

1 minute ago, Wolfden said:

Hey Billy Bob, just out of curiosity have you ever had the opportunity to compare the sound of different Crossovers and lascala? If so what is the big difference? Also what amp are you running to them?

No longer have them and were think 84 model, non industrial with Zeners.

Used an H/K avr40 with think 80 watt fronts.

And, my keeper Authentic integrated made by NEC Japan, 45 wpc.

Think your electronics purchases with your LS with more power is a good to great idea.