Cornscala Advice from new member

Gerolamo M

G’day all.

Yet another prospective Cornscala builder with need for advice.

After lusting over Cornwall iv’s for some time I could not justify spending AUD 18000.00  approx. 14000 US on a pair  here in Australia so have decided to go the diy route.

After a lot of poking around here on the forum I’ve ordered some ALK sp12 and es5800 networks, Crites cast frame woofers, B&C DCM50’s, DE120’s and eliptrac 400 with Dave’s tweeter horn.

I initially was going to go with the C type Crites kit but was told that they have had huge problems in the past with freight companies in the past damaging orders etc when shipping to Oz. So that led me down a rabbit hole to purchasing the parts mentioned above.

So my question/plea for help is about the cabinets.

I would prefer to build split cab speakers as some have done but am not sure of the cabinet volume size and port shelves. 
I am intending to brace the cabs, but not too heavily. I was thinking of using 32mm MR MDF as I will probably paint the cabs professionally.(vehicle refinisher by trade).

I am not opposed to using ply, just a little harder to get really nice material here in Perth.

If anyone has any cabinet plans or advice it would be very welcome. I understand that building split cabs with mdf will probably change the character of the speakers, if there is any one who has had success or failed with building something similar please chime in, any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Once finished the speakers will be living in a large room about 560 sq ft. With 18 ft vaulted ceilings so space is not a limiting factor.

Gerome.

Edited by Gerolamo M

I built a set of cabs for my Cornwall 1's out of 1" MDF. One thing I would like to point out if you use MDF is wood screws will strip very easily. My Cornwalls have removable backs and the frame that the screws screw into I used MDF. That was a mistake. Should of used a hardwood. Also, if you are using wood screws to mount the drivers you will have the same problem. I ended up drilling holes all the way thru and used machine screws to mount the drivers. My AR9's have inserts that machine screws screw into to mount drivers and I think I will be converting my Cornwall back panels to this set up. Good luck on the build. 

cw.jpg

Edited by tia

On 3/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, Gerolamo M said:

G’day all.

Yet another prospective Cornscala builder with need for advice.

After lusting over Cornwall iv’s for some time I could not justify spending AUD 18000.00  approx. 14000 US on a pair  here in Australia so have decided to go the diy route.

After a lot of poking around here on the forum I’ve ordered some ALK sp12 and es5800 networks, Crites cast frame woofers, B&C DCM50’s, DE120’s and eliptrac 400 with Dave’s tweeter horn.

I initially was going to go with the C type Crites kit but was told that they have had huge problems in the past with freight companies in the past damaging orders etc when shipping to Oz. So that led me down a rabbit hole to purchasing the parts mentioned above.

So my question/plea for help is about the cabinets.

I would prefer to build split cab speakers as some have done but am not sure of the cabinet volume size and port shelves. 
I am intending to brace the cabs, but not too heavily. I was thinking of using 32mm MR MDF as I will probably paint the cabs professionally.(vehicle refinisher by trade).

I am not opposed to using ply, just a little harder to get really nice material here in Perth.

If anyone has any cabinet plans or advice it would be very welcome. I understand that building split cabs with mdf will probably change the character of the speakers, if there is any one who has had success or failed with building something similar please chime in, any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Once finished the speakers will be living in a large room about 560 sq ft. With 18 ft vaulted ceilings so space is not a limiting factor.

Gerome.

You could try sending crites an email see if they have any advice for building a box for there specific woofer. Have you checked manufacturer's website they might have suggestions for building a correct cabienet.

Just throwing things out there hopefully more experienced people will join in.

Thanks Lbk. Yeah I definitely posted in the wrong section.

tia your cabinets look tidy mate.

Mdf certainly has it's pros and cons.

Will use threaded inserts for sure.

If I go the route of a one piece box I'll over do the rear panel fixings with lots of the inserts and use jarrah for the internal cleats/blocking.

It's an Aussie hardwood, very very hard.

Was going to go two box set up so I can seal the bass cabinet up nicely.

Cheers