One of my friends just won a Grammy...

Oicu812

...Jim West, best known for his guitar work with Weird Al.  Talk about a guy that can play anything, in any style.  His personal passion is for Hawaiian Slack Key, and he just won the Grammy for best album in the "New Age" category. 

The odd thing about Slack Key is the weird tunings, because guitars were left behind on the islands after the early explorers visited, and no one really new how to play them.  So the indigenous people tuned their instruments differently than anyone else, which means completely different chords.  Different hand shapes.    I could never master a guitar with the "normal" tuning and the myriad chord shapes.  Then add on a dozen major tunings from all the different islands and styles.  Mind boggling.

ba7f4a48-6896-4443-82a3-4beb87f55ef1.jpg

• Like 4

Always nice when something like that happens to a friend you know.  Great for a laff or two six months later after everyone's done w/the praise.  That's when you get the back story on it all shared openly.  Always nice to have good friends who have accomplished something other's can't do.  Great award but I'm still waiting on mine.  hahaha

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Always nice when something like that happens to a friend you know.  Great for a laff or two six months later after everyone's done w/the praise.  That's when you get the back story on it all shared openly.  Always nice to have good friends who have accomplished something other's can't do.  Great award but I'm still waiting on mine.  hahaha

I hope you get to walk that aisle one day.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Awesome job. A proud moment.

Jim is one of the most laid back, humble, and selfless guys you could ever meet.  And he has quite a few good stories after 40 years of being on the road with Al.   *<;o)

• Like 2