Replacement plate amplifier for Klipsch R-112SW

Santho

I have a R-112SW, it has been working fine until a while ago..  it has started turning off randomly. Sometimes it can stay on for hours, but sometimes it turns of after seconds of use.... So I figured I'd just change the plate amp, but I think I might need some help picking the right amp...

My the sub is rated with 300w RMS with 600W peak if I'm not mistaken..? So what wattage for the amp am I looking at then...? I've found 2 different plate amps from Dayton Audio which as far as I can see will fit perfectly without any modification to the sub box itself atleast... 

The Dayton Audio SPA250DSP, the other one is primarily the same amp just with 500w (SPA500DSP)

So my question is which one of these amps will work the best..?

I have a R-112SW, it has been working fine until a while ago..  it has started turning off randomly. Sometimes it can stay on for hours, but sometimes it turns of after seconds of use.... So I figured I'd just change the plate amp, but I think I might need some help picking the right amp...

My the sub is rated with 300w RMS with 600W peak if I'm not mistaken..? So what wattage for the amp am I looking at then...? I've found 2 different plate amps from Dayton Audio which as far as I can see will fit perfectly without any modification to the sub box itself atleast... 
The Dayton Audio SPA250DSP, the other one is primarily the same amp just with 500w (SPA500DSP)

So my question is which one of these amps will work the best..?

I have a R-112sw and have the Dayton 250dsp plate amp installed in it, I feel that it’s very under powered for it, I would go with the 500 amp if I knew just how weak the 250 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

I have a R-112sw and have the Dayton 250dsp plate amp installed in it, I feel that it’s very under powered for it, I would go with the 500 amp if I knew just how weak the 250 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm.. okay thx for the input dude! I just bought a Dali e-9f so I'd atleast have some subwoofer while I fixed my Klipsch sub. But considering the price for the dsp500 I might just go for buying a second e-9f then, because one 9" isn't really enough... Hopefully the Dali subs last more than 4 years.. 😅👍 

3 hours ago, Santho said:

300$ a piece -------I am 100% positive that a good tech can repair the amp for around 100$ -------the issue could simply be a couple of capacitors and 1 hour of labor , 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Santho said:

I have a R-112SW, it has been working fine until a while ago..  it has started turning off randomly. Sometimes it can stay on for hours, but sometimes it turns of after seconds of use....

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/187458-r-110sw-r-112sw-r-115sw-repair-blog/

R-110SW / R-112SW / R-115SW Repair Blog

By ngen33r, November 24, 2019 in Technical/Modifications

5 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Most of the time it’s the power supply caps that have gone bad

KLIPSCH should have an exchange service for all their subwoofers amplifiers   /you send your old amp , they send you a refurbished amp -  1 year warranty -- 1 flat fee -

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 11:12 AM, RandyH000 said:

KLIPSCH should have an exchange service for all their subwoofers amplifiers   /you send your old amp , they send you a refurbished amp -  1 year warranty -- 1 flat fee -

I don't see that happening.

• 2 years later...

I was just given a dead R-112SW NA. I am reading about how these sub's amplifiers go bad from overheating.

I popped open the sub and saw that nearly all of the circuitry is covered with white or black goop. I guess it helps prevent loosening/damage from vibration, but wouldn't it add to the overheating problem? Are they all this way?

klipsch (1).jpg

Edited by Ledlung
Added photo

On 6/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, Ledlung said:

I was just given a dead R-112SW NA. I am reading about how these sub's amplifiers go bad from overheating.

it  does not look like if this  amp overheated , could be a simple repair 

• 1 month later...
On 27/07/2023 at 02:54, OO1 said:

le manuel n'existe pas sur ce forum , ni sur internet  

due to poor welding.  You have lost the electrical connection of capacitor C-19 on the motherboard
   How can I connect it???

received_824736282258221.jpeg

received_692668116038167.jpeg

received_326712086357806.jpeg

received_4300208473538517.jpeg

received_821929986332545.jpeg

10 hours ago, Amine said:

due to poor welding.  You have lost the electrical connection of capacitor C-19 on the motherboard
   How can I connect it???A

received_821929986332545.jpeg

avec du fil electrique ,il faut joindre   les 2 connections ,

On 28/07/2023 at 12:53, henry4841 said:

Utilisez un morceau de fil et soudez-le aux connexions. Problème courant, facile à résoudre. 

The problem is that I don't know which two electrical elements the negative pole of the capacitor and the positive pole are connected to

19 hours ago, OO1 said:

avec du fil electrique ,il faut joindre   les 2 connections ,

The problem is that I don't know which two electrical elements the negative pole of the capacitor and the positive pole are connected to

Le 29/07/2023 à 19:26, OO1 a dit :

Le silkscreen du PCB indique la polarité par la couleur , " Blanc " = " positive pinhole "  

Je veux savoir quel composant électrique se connecte au pôle positif du condensateur C-19, ainsi qu'au pôle négatif du condensateur C-19

Exemple : je connecte le pôle négatif à GRN et le pôle positif à la résistance R-39