An attempt to build K-402-MEH clone in wood

StabMe

The John Linsley-Hood amps should work fine for the top end. I have a pair I bought a couple years ago, but still have them wrapped up. As simple as the are, I still need to build a power supply and really fivure out how to connect everything. Mine are supposed to be the 1969 version.

• Like 1

I discovered that JLH amp realization can be bought here at an affordable price. Small local company produces them here. I can be sure that it is made of quality parts and indeed pure Class A. With Chinese versions this is a lottery.

I remember Chris was writing about appropriate type of amps for horns, but it is too complicated for me to understand if JLH fits the requirement.

@StabMe, speakers look great, well done! Can you show a pic or explain how you built the transition from compression driver to horn? That seems tricky, going from straight sides, ending in a rectangle, them transitioning to 2” round hole. 
thanks for sharing! Ted

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2021 at 1:53 AM, StabMe said:

Hey!

The project is moving, albeit somewhat slowly. The guy at the carpentry is now gluing the parts together. Brought loudspeakers to him yesterday so that he can he if they fit nicely and do amendments if necessary.

Some pics:

IMG_20210415_095049.jpg.e927250777a00edea4420b97d0b8ee6a.jpg

IMG_20210415_094911.jpg.64c1b8dd0b75e786519e5226ba71bf39.jpg

IMG_20210405_095655.jpg.029e7250a4dc246757d518be6c32ecaa.jpg

Nice work!

• 1 month later...

The project is moving very slowly, as i stated earlier in this topic.

Managed to paint and polish all the parts of the first speaker. Here is how the horn part looks:

K-402.thumb.jpeg.5b0b8a5a6d01d2f4d7ae3d58853d1c84.jpeg

Preparing the horn for painting took a lot of time. 

The second speaker is still in the making. The guy who works on it promises to have it ready in a week or two.

Can't wait to give them a listen!

Oh, and i bought a locally made clone of the JLH amp which will be used for HF duties. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2021 at 8:54 AM, parlophone1 said:

Looking very nice.

What was the workflow regarding the preparation for painting and the painting?

Frankly, i don't even know what process the guy is using. Based on what he said, basically the workflow if as follows: prime the part to be painted, see if anything sticks out, polish 'bad' regions, prime again and if nothing comes up the part is painted.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:22 AM, Khornukopia said:

You are making awesome progress. Your paint job looks good. That horn is built solid, it is going to sound great. 

Just can't wait to hear it!

I decided to strengthen the box walls as in the pics:

image.thumb.png.5ccb71b61e0cf86a6ca93a12614f2da4.png

image.thumb.png.7e4e89b2e90855e5c5fc70a00c240f62.png

• Like 1

Since the room i am planning to place the MEHs in is kinda big and has very little furniture in it, i was thinkiong about placing diffusers on the walls. As of now, the room is very echoey.

I already have 6 Leanfusers prebuilt and i was contemplating on making 4 more. Here is how i am going to place them:

image.thumb.png.a4a8e8ff4e7187ce23c5115dea2da852.png

image.thumb.png.172e1503c293459a3dea96a791f58a86.png

The room is about 6 meters wide and 12 meters long. Ceiling height is about 3.1 meters. Listening position is about 3.5 meters from the front wall.

I was also thinking about placing filling a 3x3 meters space on the ceiling that is between listening position and front wall with 2D 60x60cm diffusers in a chess fashion. To make them lighter weight, i was thinking about making them out of XPS of maximum density i could find.

image.png.64ef681d2f9e14c8be44ed51dd3cd0d3.png 

Of course, i will put a carpet on the floor.

What do you think? This is what can be done relatively easy. Should i expect some nice results?

Edited by StabMe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StabMe said:

I was also thinking about placing filling a 3x3 meters space on the ceiling that is between listening position and front wall with 2D 60x60cm diffusers in a chess fashion. To make them lighter weight, i was thinking about making them out of XPS of maximum density i could find.

Regular acoustic ceiling tiles would perform better than XPS foam.

27 minutes ago, StabMe said:

Oh, i meant making a 2D diffuser out of high density XPS rather than out of wood. A variation of this kind of diffuser:

image.png.aa0036c610ab104a796752bcd9f86f68.png

It would certainly be a lot lighter than ones made from wood.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marvel said:

It would certainly be a lot lighter than ones made from wood.

Definitely! The question remains, though - which density of XPS is enough to effectively work as a diffuser? Some say that 40Kg/M density will suffice, but i haven't seen proofs.

It's a diffuser, and doesn't need to be acoustic foam. They make them out of polystyrene, too. They can be smooth and painted, or whatever. The wood always looks cool, but weighs too much. I looked at aircraft balsa, but it was going to be too expensive.

Did you use QRDude to calculate the design for the frequencies you wanted to diffuse?

• Like 1