An attempt to build K-402-MEH clone in wood

StabMe

Will this build work if I flip the speakers and have it stand up vertically (taller) rather than horizontally (on its side) like what OP is doing now?

This is due to limited space

Also will opting for a larger box to fit in the front part help in the bass department?

Edited by hearhead
  • Like 1

I built 2 MEH that I did with the k402 horn oriented so it is 90 degrees to a stock Jubilee k402 setup, and the box is 4' tall. I also have my center MEH with the orientation just like the normal Jubilee k402 horn orientation, and mounted on an angled platform on the floor. Works fine either way IMO.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

similar to @NBPK402 I built 402 MEH’s vertically and have lived with them for 6mo or so.  I’m currently building boxes for them to go horizontal.  Vertical had several problems in my room.

With 8’ ceilings I measured substantial ceiling/floor reflections. Also at 10’ from speakers the directivity can be an issue. You move from on axis to nothing pretty quickly as you walk around.
Im currently listening to them without any box, but horizontal, and reflections under 25 ms are much less, (from 1000hz and up).
Without boxes the sound is nowhere as full or robust, but I expected that. I do think the mids and highs are improved due to decreased reflections, but it’s confusing because the bass is so radically different without boxes. 
With tall ceilings and a listening position >15’ the problems I experienced would probably be minimized. 

• Like 1

Interesting!

Got jbl 2445 2” cds and 4 pcs of jbl 2225h and looking at this build sparked my imagination!

the jbl enclosure guide recommends 8cuft for double 2225s to optimize 40hz hence the question of enlarging the box enclosure (though that is for vented boxes)

Edited by hearhead
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 6:30 AM, VDS said:

similar to @NBPK402 I built 402 MEH’s vertically and have lived with them for 6mo or so.  I’m currently building boxes for them to go horizontal.  Vertical had several problems in my room.

With 8’ ceilings I measured substantial ceiling/floor reflections. Also at 10’ from speakers the directivity can be an issue. You move from on axis to nothing pretty quickly as you walk around.
Im currently listening to them without any box, but horizontal, and reflections under 25 ms are much less, (from 1000hz and up).
Without boxes the sound is nowhere as full or robust, but I expected that. I do think the mids and highs are improved due to decreased reflections, but it’s confusing because the bass is so radically different without boxes. 
With tall ceilings and a listening position >15’ the problems I experienced would probably be minimized. 

hmmm…

what if I tilt the speakers at an angle like the Klipsch Heresy?

any recommended angle degree?

• Like 1

What I did was hold a laser pointer on the top of the cabinet and keep tilting the speaker until it was aimed a bit above my head..
By doing this, my horn was as close as I could get to ear level.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

On 3/25/2022 at 11:09 PM, hearhead said:

the jbl enclosure guide recommends 8cuft for double 2225s to optimize 40hz hence the question of enlarging the box enclosure (though that is for vented boxes)

I'm not sure those numbers would equate to using them in an MEH  cabinet.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/25/2022 at 3:11 PM, NBPK402 said:

I built 2 MEH that I did with the k402 horn oriented so it is 90 degrees to a stock Jubilee k402 setup, and the box is 4' tall. I also have my center MEH with the orientation just like the normal Jubilee k402 horn orientation, and mounted on an angled platform on the floor. Works fine either way IMO.

I think I read about a square mouth version that you were building. Is that in progress?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 8:36 AM, Khornukopia said:

I think I read about a square mouth version that you were building. Is that in progress?

Yes, I am still working on it...we had a delay when my friend has some projects he had to get done, and one of the projects is getting his new building ready for his shop. I am hoping by this Christmas to have some done. I am planning on a single wood full size and 2 square ones out of wood also.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@NBPK402 @VDS Do you have perhaps directivity plots of the MEH K-420 vertical? (I can find them on the web)

I am considering building this design, and will likely to make the first cuts this week. But now I hesitate at the last moment to change the design a bit. I could also place the speaker vertically as a solution! (The limited sweet spot is not an issue for me.)

The reason is because I would like to experiment with Bacch crosstalk cancellation software. Then narrow directivity (laser like) is more important than 'wide' constant directivity.

Hence my interest in the vertical directivity behavior. :)

Edited by Horn Tube