X-Over recommendation for R625a Floor Standing

Turbosig2000

Anyone have any advice on what to set my R625a's crossover?

Running Denon S750H, with dual subs (1) SVS PB1000-Pro and (2) Klipsch R12SWi.  The frequency response of the R625a is 38hz-21Khz.  I know the recommended setting is always set speakers to small and Cover at 80hz.  I have been setting these at 60Hz and set to small. Just wondering if anyone else is setting these at 80Hz. I feel that setting them to 80Hz just wastes the potential for good mid-bass from these towers...any thoughts/opinions? 

I cross my mains over at 80Hz despite the fact that they're rated down to 35Hz for what it's worth... it's not really about "wasting the potential for good mid-bass from these towers", and more about how you'll get a more desirable frequency response in your room. As @wuzzzer says, different setups in different rooms will vary, so you need to either measure to see what's going on, or experiment until you find the setup that you like best. There's a few things you should keep in mind:

1. While your R625's might be perfectly positioned for stereo imaging etc, they might not be perfectly positioned for the low frequency ranges where the room becomes the dominant factor. Whereas your three subs are most likely better located (or can be moved) to give you the best low frequency coverage in your room. 
  2. Your subs are designed to operate with authority in this frequency range, so handing over to the subs earlier could give you more authoritive bass in this range and free up some headroom on your R625's at higher volumes.
  3. Below the transition, or in large rooms the Schroeder, frequency, which in domestic rooms is at around 200-300 Hz (but varies from room to room), the room dominates the quality of sound because of resonances.

Taking the above variables into consideration, you can see why it is important to measure and/or listen to see what works best in your room, and if you can't measure or decide which is better, then crossing over at 80Hz is a safe bet 90% of the time... 🙂 

I hope this helps...

Brendon

12 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

I cross my mains over at 80Hz despite the fact that they're rated down to 35Hz for what it's worth... it's not really about "wasting the potential for good mid-bass from these towers", and more about how you'll get a more desirable frequency response in your room. As @wuzzzer says, different setups in different rooms will vary, so you need to either measure to see what's going on, or experiment until you find the setup that you like best. There's a few things you should keep in mind:

1. While your R625's might be perfectly positioned for stereo imaging etc, they might not be perfectly positioned for the low frequency ranges where the room becomes the dominant factor. Whereas your three subs are most likely better located (or can be moved) to give you the best low frequency coverage in your room. 
  2. Your subs are designed to operate with authority in this frequency range, so handing over to the subs earlier could give you more authoritive bass in this range and free up some headroom on your R625's at higher volumes.
  3. Below the transition, or in large rooms the Schroeder, frequency, which in domestic rooms is at around 200-300 Hz (but varies from room to room), the room dominates the quality of sound because of resonances.

Taking the above variables into consideration, you can see why it is important to measure and/or listen to see what works best in your room, and if you can't measure or decide which is better, then crossing over at 80Hz is a safe bet 90% of the time... 🙂 

I hope this helps...

Brendon

Thanks Brendon.

At first I had them set at 80 before moving them to 60. But I think going back to 80 will help five the AVR more headroom, at the very least it is worth a listen. The Denon S750H is only 75 watts RMS, which at times I can tell the receiver is pushing hard to get volume. The higher setting on the crossover should help as you indicated.

I dont get much room gain at all. Room is a rectangular 4,500 Cu ft. I have not gotten my mic yet to run a REW measurement but that should help give me more data as well.

Thanks for the input!