Glossy spots on Cornwall IV edge banding - repair options?

Schwa

I had a few minor nicks on the lower front edges of my Cornwall IVs that I filled with a Mohawk wax stick.  After wiping the wax off I'm left with a few "glossy" spots that just won't come off - I've tried alcohol, Goo-Gone, and mineral spirits and nothing worked.  I'm not sure why the finish got so glossy so easily - I didn't burnish the surface much at all.

Is there way to easily restore these to the original satin gloss or am I SOL?  If it's not really a DIY task, what would it take for a professional to do this right?  Do the entire cabinets need to be repainted or (assuming these were painted with a base/clear) could the clearcoat just be resprayed on the front edges (i.e. edge banding)?  Is this something that could be performed well by a mobile furniture repair company?  

If it's going to be a large undertaking to do this right and/or not make it worse, I'll likely wait until these are significantly older before dealing with a repaint.  Fortunately since the blemishes are low on the speakers they're pretty dang hard to notice.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

shine.jpeg

On 3/22/2021 at 10:47 AM, Schwa said:

Mohawk wax stick.  After wiping the wax off I'm left with a few "glossy" spots that just won't come off - I've tried alcohol, Goo-Gone, and mineral spirits and nothing worked.  I'm not sure why the finish got so glossy so easily

Maybe try a dab of soapy water or citrus cleaning fluid?

Get a piece of fine Scotchbrite like the maroon 7442 pad and very lightly buff with it.Heavy preasure will leave to much scratch pattern.Also dont swirl it around  but rub it back and forth  in one direction along the long axis of the wood.  Fine steel wool might be even better but remember to start with minimal preasure no matter what you do.

• Like 1