Amp for KLF 20's, C-7

muddog

Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum and would like some help and or ideas. Looking for an amplifier to power 2 KLF 20's and a C7 center. I will be adding 2 more KLF 30's or 20's in the future. Reciever is a Denon X3100 210 watts 2 channels driven. The room is a heated garage 24x25 with a 10 foot cieling I'm not opposed to used but would like to be under $2000. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

• Like 1

Well for that money, and not excluding used, you should have monies left over for more KLF.

Thinking you will benefit from 200 + watts per channel.

Emotiva is a place to start according to some members here.

Speaking of which, they will be other reccs. shortly.

I have been looking at Emotiva XPA 5 Gen 3  new but there seems to be a lot of negative about the sound compared to other brands.  there is no place around me to listen to amplifiers .

Edited by muddog

What would you guys think about the Crown XLS 1502 and run the C-7 off the Denon reciever ? Then when i get more speakers i will just buy another XLS. Also if 1 amp breaks i still have another amp while the broken one gets replaced or fixed ?

Would this be a better choice than the Emotiva XPA-5 ?

What are the length and gauge of your speaker wires?

Your avr-x3100w is rated at 105wpc into 8 ohms, 8 ohms should be the reference point to measure all amps. I have been running my avr-x3200w since ~2015 driving klf-30s & klf-c7 + various surround speakers with out a hitch. I does get warm but no more than the rest of my gear.

Did you by chance have your avr in a closed-in environment like a cabinet? Or say having less than ~3“ of open air space above the unit? Emotiva suggested I have 12” of open air space min above my xpa-1s – granted we are talking about a lot of power but I think you got the idea.

Would like to hear how you like your Crown amp.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, muddog said:

What would you guys think about the Crown XLS 1502 and run the C-7 off the Denon reciever ? Then when i get more speakers i will just buy another XLS. Also if 1 amp breaks i still have another amp while the broken one gets replaced or fixed ?

Would this be a better choice than the Emotiva XPA-5 ?

Yes let us know. Strangely or logically, came away thinking Crown for your setup. Intense volume!

Watch that volume knob...

• Like 1

The Denon 3100 is not in a rack,its all open air around it. I had a Denon 1912 hooked up and it got so hot that it shut down so i didn't want to abuse the 3100 the same way. 

The XLS2002 is suppose to be here by Sunday . I will let you guys know what i think after it's up and going.

• Like 2

I got the Crown amp hooked up and running the KLF-20's. It sounds very clear threw these speakers, you have to have your ear right up to the speaker to here any hiss and even then its very slight. No way would i pay the money difference others are wanting for less distortion.  I think the amp is a winner with all kinds of power specially for the price. 

No more distortion when cranking to high volume and my reciever is running cool.Now i need more speakers and more amps to stack !

Embrace technology !

Edited by muddog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you guys think i should ditch this denon AVR and just get a pre amp/seperates and stack it all in a rack ?

This is the 3rd one of these AVR's i have had and they all make me want to pull my hair out. All i am doing is playing music/concertsth from 1 TV in ARc mode on Youtube, radio,CD player and ocasionally a telephone with spotify. That is all that gets hooked up and thats all that will every be hooked up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...