Headphone amp/DAC question

wuzzzer

I recently purchased a Bravo Audio V2 headphone amp.  The only listening I've done is from my Samsung phone via it's 3.5mm jack into dual RCA into the amp.  It definitely sounds better than just using my phone, especially in the bass department.  I feel that the midrange/treble could be a lot better.  Obviously with this connection I'm limited by the DAC in my phone which I know is pretty lousy.  What would be an inexpensive DAC to try out?  Something less than $100, new or used.  I'd be looking for one that has a USB input.  If I'm understanding it correctly, if I connect my phone through it's mini-USB to the DAC, then the DAC in the phone is bypassed and the one in the external DAC would be used.  Is that correct?

I don't think there is ANYWAY to bypass the phone conversion as it occurs BEFORE the output headphone jack... UNLESS you use wifi.

you might look into some raspberry pi solution, or just bite the bullet and get a used stand alone DAP where you will get a lot of value because of the depreciation... which is what I would do if mobility is required.

9 minutes ago, Schu said:

I don't think there is ANYWAY to bypass the phone conversion as it occurs BEFORE the output headphone jack... UNLESS you use wifi.

you might look into some raspberry pi solution, or just bite the bullet and get a used stand alone DAP where you will get a lot of value because of the depreciation... which is what I would do if mobility is required.

That's why I was thinking of a DAC to connect my phone's mini-USB output to.  I would imagine the phone's DAC would be bypassed then?

It would be something I'd use sitting at home listening to music.

• Like 1

I bought a Schiit Modi 3+ ($99) and it bypassed the 3.5mm sound out on my Windows PC. The difference was noticeable. The PC was using the built in motherboard soundcard to supply the 3.5 mm output but the path is now USB=> Modi => powered speakers via RCA. My wife and daughters noticed the improvement without serious "coaching", in each case I pointed to the new silver box and said, "That replaced the soundcard" and they all three basically said, "Wow!" In both the before and after state the speakers were Klipsch R-51PMs with a low power (50 watt) 10" Polk subwoofer.

• Thanks 1