Tung-Sol 6550s to Genalex KT-77s

JohnW

Picked up a Jolida Fusion 3502P in November, to augment the music output of my Marantz SR7013. 

Now that it’s broken in, the truth is, switching back and forth, I can’t hear that much of a difference. Maybe a more defined soundstage on the Marantz alone.

I mean, it sounds great either way. 

But of course, I want it to sound “better.” 😁

So I had some questions:

1) Would it make sense to replace the 6550s that came with the amp with Genalex Gold Lion KT-77s? I’ve read WAY TOO MUCH about tubes, and these seem like the way to go.

2) The 3502P is switchable, allowing the use of either 6550 or EL34 output tubes. Which category do the KT-77s fall into?

3) would it make sense to upgrade the two 12AXA7 preamp tubes in the Jolida? These are currently Tung-Sols as well.

I’m looking for a bit more detail and punch in the mids and bass, and a more defined soundstage. Overall, I’m seeking more clarity and presence.

Thanks in advance.

power tubes have the least effect on sound... I have found that power tubes might make a difference in forward nature of some of the range of those tubes, but overall it will be fairly minimal. the 12a_7's will have an effect on perception though.

I personally don't have much fondness for JJ's, TungSol's or gold lions I have tried... but that's just me.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, Schu said:

power tubes have the least effect on sound... I have found that power tubes might make a difference in forward nature of some of the range of those tubes, but overall it will be fairly minimal. the 12a_7's will have an effect on perception though.

I personally don't have much fondness for JJ's, TungSol's or gold lions I have tried... but that's just me.

You mean the modern rebranded correct? Major difference beteen vintage and modern. I wish they couldn't even use vintage brand labels on modern tubes. It feels like a lie to me..

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update: replaced the Tung-Sols with new manufacture Gold Lion KT-88s (major improvement, but after researching more, maybe should have gone with Psvanes or Shuguangs), and now have a large collection of NOS 12ax7 and 12at7 pairs, in all their variants—a collection of sublime sound combinations.

No one warns you about the tube-rolling rabbit hole. :)

In my circuit, I prefer the balance of the el34... the 66/88/120/150 are to forward in the mid range. In terms of the psvane/shuguang 88s, they are more similar than different. Both are the top level from those brands.

In my taste,  I am looking for transparency and balance across the entire range. The LF in my set up is to die for... I have no desire to upgrade.

That being said... I can live with any of them, they are all good power tubes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, JohnW said:

No one warns you about the tube-rolling rabbit hole. :)

You've now been warned twice... 😱. The worst part are backups for the "just in case" moments. You only need two, but you get three; you need a quad, but just in case, you buy that matched sextet...

I, too, prefer the tone of EL34s to KT88, 120s, etc. Conrad Johnson has supplied [relatively] inexpensive, new Mullard EL34's in some equipment. They are very sweet in the midrange and don't give up bass. A matched quad should run about $120 or so. I am running Svetlana EL34 in my Cary right now; I think they are terrific. If you go the route of a new set of tubes, stop until you decide which family of tubes you prefer and that will take a while. Then you can start rolling. Just my thoughts...

Have fun!

Tubes - 1.jpeg