A new member & making a silk purse, etc....UPDATED ON PAGE 4

Hello,

I have recently become the owner of a pair of black spatter paint Heresy speakers that were purchased in the 1970's (I think) by an old acquaintance who now lives in Norway.

Like me, he was a guitar player, and he bought 3 black Heresy speakers from a stereo dealer on Long Island near Roslyn. He used 2 of them for his PA system, and the third was his monitor.

He ended up giving them to my very good friend, and guitar builder, John Monteleone, who has had them stored in his shop attic since forever, and recently he asked if I'd like to have them. I brought a Sony STR-7045 over, and hooked them up where they sat. They about blew me out of the attic when I put on VH Hot For Teacher, but I digress........

I would like to know, via whatever pictures and driver codes I can provide, more specifics about the model. You'll see that one of them had a very clear M1 stamped on the back edge, but other than that I've seen nothing aside from the driver & crossover codes. Herewith......I'll try the stamp letter/number first:

sblLbkD.jpg4Z0YD1d.jpg?1pJTKwrD.jpg6hcN3hB.jpgGVNmwBb.jpg

And so there's the start of my project. I do have a decent wood shop, so I've started removing the spatter paint, but there's a lot of filling & sanding to do before I unroll the 4' x 8' sheet of rift sawn white oak that they'll be covered in. The clever contraption that was installed in the bottom for speaker-pole mounting has left a few holes to fill as well, and then there'll be angled risers to make, but it's a start.

I like the way these speakers sound, especially because they're no-nonsense, in your face, and pretty efficient. I've spent thousands of hours in recording studios, and my favorite speakers were always the JBL 4311 and Urei monitors. Nothing subtle about them.

Thank you for any information you can provide me with, and I look forward to being a member here!

best regards,

Howard Emerson

Edited by Howard Emerson
Updated pictures
  • Like 3

Welcome to the forum. The Mx may be MI ... it is the initials of the person(s) who built the cabinets, perhaps @HDBRbuilder can shed some light on the initials. The crossover is E2 so this is a version 2 likely 1985 onwards... a picture of the front baffle would help. 

Others with woodworking skills can chime in to help help with your repairs.  

18 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Welcome to the forum. The Mx may be MI ... it is the initials of the person(s) who built the cabinets, perhaps @HDBRbuilder can shed some light on the initials. The crossover is E2 so this is a version 2 likely 1985 onwards... a picture of the front baffle would help. 

Others with woodworking skills can chime in to help help with your repairs.  

Hi MC,

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, it probably says 'MI'.

Here's another few shots, including what's left of the only label which is on the 3rd speaker (his monitor) that I did not take:

5wBe2ue.jpgRZb3wYM.jpgdCG4dnP.jpg

I also have both speaker grills, both of which are in pretty good condition. I'll take pictures as the name plate/logo may help in dating.

I would be surprised if these were as late as 1985, but with the way my memory works...........

🙂

Thanks,

Howard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howard Emerson said:

I'll take pictures as the name plate/logo may help in dating.

I would be surprised if these were as late as 1985, but with the way my memory works...........

🙂

Thanks,

Howard

From what i can see of the mid driver it appears to be a k-52 and the cut out on the mid horn that curves around the woofer I'd say these are Heresy 1.5's-- they were a transitional speaker from the original Heresy to the Heresy II which should put around the early to mid 80's, 83-85 I believe?

40 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

From what i can see of the mid driver it appears to be a k-52 and the cut out on the mid horn that curves around the woofer I'd say these are Heresy 1.5's-- they were a transitional speaker from the original Heresy to the Heresy II which should put around the early to mid 80's, 83-85 I believe?

Hi JJ,

Here's a closeup of the squawker numbers: ISUbVae.jpg

5 hours ago, Howard Emerson said:

Hello,

I have recently become the owner of a pair of black spatter paint Heresy speakers that were purchased in the 1970's (I think) by an old acquaintance who now lives in Norway.

best regards,

Howard Emerson

Howard--

these are Heresy  1984 or 1985  , since they have the E2 crossover , the Midrange driver is the K62 H  - which stands for HEPNER , this was a brand of midrange drivers ,Klipsch purchased the tooling from Hepner after the cie owner passed on ,  and klipsch manufactured their own driver  based on the same specs , with identical diaphragms but with slight differences

the tweeter is the k77M  square magnet , the EV T35 , the woofer is the K22E square magnet , made by Eminence ----

---since the  labels are unreadable  , we cannot read the serial numbers , but you should see a serial number engraved in the middle top of the speaker above the rear door panel -this would  enable us to determine the exact year-week , month of manufacturing of these Heresy speakers

21 minutes ago, Howard Emerson said:

Hi JJ,

Here's a closeup of the squawker numbers:

can you detail how you are sanding these speakers , they look so even;y sanded  and smooth -------- will you be veneering these speakers ?

27 minutes ago, Howard Emerson said:

Hi JJ,

Here's a closeup of the squawker numbers: 

Those are the k-53-k and are an even later model than the k-52'h so yeah, unless someone has changed parts around these are very late model H-1's mid '80's.

26 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

can you detail how you are sanding these speakers , they look so even;y sanded  and smooth -------- will you be veneering these speakers ?

Hi Randy,

I've removed the bulk of the spatter paint with a random orbit sander & #60 grit. Next I need to glue some sections of loose plywood veneer, which appears to have once been birch.

After that I'll fill and square all the corners with Bondo, and prep for veneering with rift sawn white oak veneer that already has 3M adhesive on it. I may just do the front edges with a thicker solid piece of wood that I can very gently round over, so as to be slightly proud of the grill cloth. I'll basically be matching this little table I made recently:

dxqJDNq.jpg 

It's always something!

Best,

Howard

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Those are the k-53-k and are an even later model than the k-52'h so yeah, unless someone has changed parts around these are very late model H-1's mid '80's.

Hi JJP,

I'm certain they are the original drivers in both cabinets. For what it's worth I'm vaguely certain the inspector name on that worn label says 'Bradford', if that means anything.

I'm sure that my wife would just shake her head regarding my 'timeline memory' as to when these speakers were in the possession of the original owner. 

She has a steel trap for that stuff, and I have a sieve.

HE

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howard Emerson said:

Hi Randy,

I've removed the bulk of the spatter paint with a random orbit sander & #60 grit. Next I need to glue some sections of loose plywood veneer, which appears to have once been birch.

After that I'll fill and square all the corners with Bondo, and prep for veneering with rift sawn white oak veneer that already has 3M adhesive on it. I may just do the front edges with a thicker solid piece of wood that I can very gently round over, so as to be slightly proud of the grill cloth. I'll basically be matching this little table I made recently

It's always something!

Best,

Howard

do you have a link for the ----rift sawn white oak veneer that already has 3M adhesive on it ----it looks to really be a great product

2 minutes ago, Howard Emerson said:

Hi JJP,

I'm certain they are the original drivers in both cabinets. For what it's worth I'm vaguely certain the inspector name on that worn label says 'Bradford', if that means anything.

I'm sure that my wife would just shake her head regarding my 'timeline memory' as to when these speakers were in the possession of the original owner. 

She has a steel trap for that stuff, and I have a sieve.

HE

you are correct , the K52H  was the original driver for the E2  Heresy Crossover --- otherwise the network would be the E - did you check to rear top center of the cabinet for a serial no stamping -

Just now, RandyH000 said:

do you have a link for the ----rift sawn white oak veneer that already has 3M adhesive on it ----it looks to really be a great product

Randy,

The table veneer I got from Amazon, and that particular supplier is out of it at the moment, so I ordered from another supplier, veneersupplies.com

I'll open the box tomorrow and let it acclimate. I bought a 4' x 8' sheet so I need some room!!

HE

That'll make a nice combo. Sometimes I get the impression that this is a carpenters forum. 😄 Which is great, I can always learn a few things, I just wish I had more tools and a dedicated DIY room.... Keep us informed of Your progress please.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Howard Emerson said:

Randy,

I ordered from another supplier, veneersupplies.com

HE

-ok so ,   peel and stick veneer --now I get it ---no mess with cleaning the residue or a  roller to apply  -great ideaPeel and Stick Veneer

10 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

you are correct , the K52H  was the original driver for the E2  Heresy Crossover --- otherwise the network would be the E - did you check to rear top center of the cabinet for a serial no stamping -

Absolutely no other markings anywhere.

These cabinets, while solid, are clearly knock-em-out-quickly-quality. All butt joint, glue and staple.

They were perfect for a solo guitarist/singer who wanted state of the art sound. He powered them with a Bryston amp, but I'm told by an old friend of his that he also used a McIntosh power amp. Clearly weight meant NOTHING as long as it was loud!!

HE

12 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

That'll make a nice combo. Sometimes I get the impression that this is a carpenters forum. 😄 Which is great, I can always learn a few things, I just wish I had more tools and a dedicated DIY room.... Keep us informed of Your progress please.

Andre , this is peel and stick veneer , so the only tools you  need are a  razor knife to cut the veneer to size from a 4x8  sheet  and a veneer scraper to add pressure on the veneer for the veneer to apply evenly as it's pre-glued  ,

16 minutes ago, Howard Emerson said:

Absolutely no other markings anywhere.

Howard  ------here is a 1983  Heresy that is identical to yours   with the  ---M stamping   at the left  ---the E2 Network , the K77M  square magnet , the K-52H  and the K-22E -------if you look at the top center of the rear of the cab , there are markings ,  they used to stamp the serial number at the top rear center----

if there are no markings   , then your speakers could be 1984  or 1985 since they stopped stamping speakers , around these years  , but I can't recall when

BackHeresey.jpg

• Like 1