A new member & making a silk purse, etc....UPDATED ON PAGE 4

49 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Howard  ------here is a 1983  Heresy that is identical to yours   with the  ---M stamping   at the left  ---the E2 Network , the K77M  square magnet , the K-52H  and the K-22E -------if you look at the top center of the rear of the cab , there are markings ,  they used to stamp the serial number at the top rear center----

if there are no markings   , then your speakers could be 1984  or 1985 since they stopped stamping speakers , around these years  , but I can't recall when

BackHeresey.jpg

Randy,

This black model with the numbers is not the utilitarian sort that mine clearly is, right?

The overspray on the inside is all over the place, whereas this unit you're showing is very clean inside, for the most part.

I do notice that it is butt-joint construction. I wonder if mine were almost factory seconds, or done for the sound reinforcement industry.

Anyways.....I'm enjoying the minutiae.

Thanks,

Howard

1 hour ago, Howard Emerson said:

Randy,

This black model with the numbers is not the utilitarian sort that mine clearly is, right?

The overspray on the inside is all over the place, whereas this unit you're showing is very clean inside, for the most part.

I do notice that it is butt-joint construction. I wonder if mine were almost factory seconds, or done for the sound reinforcement industry.

Anyways.....I'm enjoying the minutiae.

Thanks,

Howard

Howard ,  the overspray  is quite common -- a lot klipsch black speakers have overspray , and some dont  ---

-now for the utilitarian question , or for factory seconds , black speakers were the 2nd cheapest  Heresy Option -the least expensive were 2 way Heresy speakers , without tweeters ,  these are 3 way,     so , regular priced  Heresy speakers  -

,it looks like the previous owners just treated them roughly ,  over 35 years  -if these were MDF or particle board , they would not have lasted  -- we call these BEATERS

as for the pro Sound  industry for klipsch speakers    , klipsch  had a PRO  Version of the Heresy ----the HIP  , with a port at the bottom , a different crossover - mids driver and woofer

FS: Heresy HIP black (pair) - Garage Sale - The Klipsch Audio Community

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Andre , this is peel and stick veneer , so the only tools you  need are a  razor knife to cut the veneer to size from a 4x8  sheet  and a veneer scraper to add pressure on the veneer for the veneer to apply evenly as it's pre-glued  ,

Thanks Randy, I was being in the general about this forum. Peel and stick is easy, more or less, I have done that before. I was talking about the quality craftsmanship I' m seeing all over this forum, the above table just for example. 

13 hours ago, jeffery163 said:

Welcome aboard

Thanks Jeffery, and welcome to my Heresy refurbishment project! On top is the back as it will be, and just to make believe for a moment I inserted the grill instead. Most of the veneering should be done by later today.

Kq92zNr.jpgLNvXnFv.jpg

Edited by Howard Emerson

On 3/28/2021 at 11:46 AM, Howard Emerson said:

The clever contraption that was installed in the bottom for speaker-pole mounting has left a few holes

Clever indeed.  The biggest problem I can see is that it makes the cabinet less sealed than it was.  When I asked someone at Klipsch if Heresy is a sealed speaker, his response was, “Sealed enough.”

1053165298_OnStageSS7322B.thumb.jpg.b3169a8a5b86acdf34260a213f6ed5f3.jpg

The cup and post used in the bracket from Parts Express allow the hole to be sealed.  Despite the “sealed enough” design goal, I always use gasket material to seal the horns to the motor boards, as well as the back.  Any new holes are also sealed.  It can’t hurt, even with HIPs or other ported Heresys.  Let all the venting exit the port rather than a multitude of tiny leaks.

967189959_SteelSpeakerPoleMount.thumb.jpg.23becb15493c074d5ebffb241828871f.jpg

E8393181-1A97-4D2D-9A8C-A09F59AC2999.jpeg

On 3/28/2021 at 11:46 AM, Howard Emerson said:

. . . my very good friend, and guitar builder, John Monteleone,

I assume you’ve seen the excellent 45 minute documentary about Mark Knopfler which features your friend.  I strongly encourage everyone who reads this to watch the video.  You will not be disappointed.

https://www.openculture.com/2013/07/guitar-stories-mark-knopfler-on-the-six-guitars-that-shaped-his-career.html

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Clever indeed.  The biggest problem I can see is that it makes the cabinet less sealed than it was.  When I asked someone at Klipsch if Heresy is a sealed speaker, his response was, “Sealed enough.”

1053165298_OnStageSS7322B.thumb.jpg.b3169a8a5b86acdf34260a213f6ed5f3.jpg

The cup and post used in the bracket from Parts Express allow the hole to be sealed.  Despite the “sealed enough” design goal, I always use gasket material to seal the horns to the motor boards, as well as the back.  Any new holes are also sealed.  It can’t hurt, even with HIPs or other ported Heresys.  Let all the venting exit the port rather than a multitude of tiny leaks.

967189959_SteelSpeakerPoleMount.thumb.jpg.23becb15493c074d5ebffb241828871f.jpg

E8393181-1A97-4D2D-9A8C-A09F59AC2999.jpeg

Hi Neil,

As I mentioned originally these were for a portable PA system, so the owner wasn't too concerned about hi-fidelity, but more for brute volume of a magnetic pickup guitar and Shure SM-58 mic. 

I made a point of removing all that stuff on the first day, and fashioned a couple of 3/4" plywood plugs and filled the holes. It is very curious, though, that there was no gasket material on the 12" woofers, and the back is just screwed directly to the batten strips. Perhaps Klipsch does a better job on their 'real' stereo speakers? Every guitar amp I've ever removed a speaker from, be it the lowliest Jensen to a high-end JBL has had some sort of gasket material to help avoid rattles.

Bl7Ox4U.jpgNAUY1E8.jpg

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I assume you’ve seen the excellent 45 minute documentary about Mark Knopfler which features your friend.  I strongly encourage everyone who reads this to watch the video.  You will not be disappointed.

https://www.openculture.com/2013/07/guitar-stories-mark-knopfler-on-the-six-guitars-that-shaped-his-career.html

Yes, I've seen that mini documentary, and there's something even better coming out in the near future. As far as Mark Knopfler's guitar goes......Here it is getting test driven before it left the shop.....Yes, I'm a lucky guy!7DJPwqz.jpg

Edited by Howard Emerson
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Howard Emerson said:

It is very curious, though, that there was no gasket material on the 12" woofers, and the back is just screwed directly to the batten strips.

No, regular Heresy were the same, which is why I asked a Klipsch employee if it was “sealed” to which he replied, “sealed enough.”  If I were you, I’d seal it more than just “enough.”

Yours are looking very nice.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, jimjimbo said:

Hi Jimbo,

I somehow missed your post!

I'm clearly going in the nice furniture direction as you can see, but that Duratex would be great stuff if I get the incentive to refurbish the guitar case that originally came with my 1930 Gibson L-5 archtop guitar. It is REALLY beat up, and there's no way to find a covering that has the original look, and this Duratex looks like it would cover a host of issues easily!

3FgAU2m.jpg

Thanks!

Howard