A new member & making a silk purse, etc....UPDATED ON PAGE 4

On 3/28/2021 at 11:43 AM, MC39693 said:

Welcome to the forum. The Mx may be MI ... it is the initials of the person(s) who built the cabinets, perhaps @HDBRbuilder can shed some light on the initials. The crossover is E2 so this is a version 2 likely 1985 onwards... a picture of the front baffle would help. 

Others with woodworking skills can chime in to help help with your repairs.  

Those initials are more likely the sander of the cabinets, but if you gently scrape off the paint below those initials, you will likely find the builder code initial(s)...sanders tended to slather the rear edges of the panels with thinned down wood filler...let it harden, then belt sand those edges.  Doing this often resulted in the builder code either getting completely sanded off or at least getting filled with putty and then it got painted over.!  So if it is there it is under the paint.  The sander code was put on after the sanding was completed...so it tends to always remain prominent, even after being painted-over.  The builder code should be right below the sander code....underneath the paint.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Those initials are more likely the sander of the cabinets, but if you gently scrape off the paint below those initials, you will likely find the builder code initial(s)...sanders tended to slather the rear edges of the panels with thinned down wood filler...let it harden, then belt sand those edges.  Doing this often resulted in the builder code either getting completely sanded off or at least getting filled with putty and then it got painted over.!  So if it is there it is under the paint.  The sander code was put on after the sanding was completed...so it tends to always remain prominent, even after being painted-over.  The builder code should be right below the sander code....underneath the paint.

Hello,

Although it's way too late now, in preparing the cabinets for veneering I actually used a cabinet scraper on the front and back 3/4" edges to be more precise in the the removal of the paint. Believe me, there was NOTHING there, and I've since seen several black Heresy originals where the serial # or initials are clear as day.

The MI on the back side edge was the only vestige of anything, and it now resides under veneer. 

Regards,

Howard Emerson

7 hours ago, Howard Emerson said:

Hello,

Although it's way too late now, in preparing the cabinets for veneering I actually used a cabinet scraper on the front and back 3/4" edges to be more precise in the the removal of the paint. Believe me, there was NOTHING there, and I've since seen several black Heresy originals where the serial # or initials are clear as day.

The MI on the back side edge was the only vestige of anything, and it now resides under veneer. 

Regards,

Howard Emerson

If I was the one who built them there would definitely be an "A" there...and additional letter if I had a helper that day..  So they were either built after I left in October of '83 OR I had taken a day off and somebody else was at my work table building them.

• Like 3

The drivers and crossovers are all back inside the cabinets where they belong, and yes: There were gaskets on the woofers after all! 

The Klipsch badges were very discolored, and I assumed that they were made from anodized aluminum, and I believe that is incorrect. Having seen many older Fender Precision basses from the 1950's, anodized aluminum shows plain silver aluminum when it's worn, so I was concerned about using any abrasive to remove the discoloration I was seeing.

I threw caution to the wind and started rubbing with a light grey Scotch Brite pad, and the more I worked it, the more coppery the color became! I then switched to a white 1200 Scotch Brite, and it really polished up quite well! Maybe the badges are actually copper to start with?

In any case here are some shots showing the detail:

p45I4TP.jpgdh3O6Q2.jpg

Clearly I have to spend a little more time on the ends so I'll have to mask the cloth so I don't mess that up. Here's a shot with the drivers loaded:

Amw7eBU.jpg

Edited by Howard Emerson
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 7:13 AM, Howard Emerson said:

Just unrolled a 4' x 8' roll of rift sawn white oak goodness.........Now to measure very, very carefully and prepare to veneer over the weekend if the fates allow.....

2KA4lIT.jpg7tIu3cn.jpg

real veneer , thick -nothing like the MDF Veneered panels --the veneer on MDF  panels is as thin as a sheet of paper -

1 hour ago, Howard Emerson said:

The drivers and crossovers are all back inside the cabinets where they belong, and yes: There were gaskets on the woofers after all! 

Maybe the badges are actually copper

Normally there should be a gasket on the woofer , as it must seal with the motorboard and yes , Klipsch badges were copper plate thin gauge , that were stamped embossed with the Klipsch logo then filled with black paint on the recessed lettering -

• Like 1

• 2 months later...