Funeral Director

David Powell

10 hours ago, David Powell said:

My crossover has gone out on one of my Klipsch CF4 speaker. Where do I need to look to find a replacement? I dont quite understand the ins and outs about crossovers but with two woofers and a horn does that mean I need a 3 way crossover? Any help will be appreciated

Two points.

First, the crossover is specific to the cabinet you have. A generic crossover seldom works.

Second, crossovers usually don't fail. Most components last a life time (inductor, autoformer, resistor). Some components may deteriorate with age (capacitors). Unless there is a fuse in the crossover (or near), the system will still produce decent sound (even with some deteriorated capacitors). 

What is far more likely, is that the connections or a fuse have failed. Clean the connections (screw terminals on the board) and re-tighten. This can solve many problems. 

More importantly (and determine this before you start acting on advice via the internet), is what makes you think the problem is the crossover? You have not given any real information about what the specific problem is ( "crossover is gone" is not adequate). Simple tests include 1) are all the drivers not working? 2) if you swap the left and right outputs from your amplifier, does the "problem" go to the other side? 3) Are you (or a friend) comfortable with hooking up the output of the crossover from the "good side" to the "bad" side to see if the problem remains, 4) Do you have access to a RMS voltmeter?

Unfortunately when someone gets on the forum and types "crossover" without any real description of the problem, then some members will immediately go into "upgrade mode". When this happens, regardless of the original problem, you get bombarded by suggestions of upgrades and needing to use magical capacitors that cost hundreds of dollars to "remove the veil" and open up the sound. 

I hope I have saved you some money,

-Tom

• Like 3