Long Island Klipsch Dealers 1980’s

10 hours ago, Howard Emerson said:

Hi Jim,

Is there any historical information regarding past retailers, specifically in the New York/Long Island area during the 1980’s?

Thank you for any information you might be able to dig up!

regards,

Howard Emerson

the Historian  can help ,  by looking at delivery slips to dealers based on Serial numbers for a certain period of time , but he would need a serial number to first see , if the search would yield any  dealer results -

the  serial nos are  registered in log books , and in some instances , the serial numbers may  show , a Dealer of Delivery for that specific serial number

All the dealer lists I have show Rosner Custom Sound on Long Island from at least 1966 thru 1980.  Alex Rosner, the owner, was a friend of PWK's.  Alex even built Paul a switching system to switch between 3-way arrays.  We have it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/29/2021 at 6:08 AM, Howard Emerson said:

Hi Jim,

Is there any historical information regarding past retailers, specifically in the New York/Long Island area during the 1980’s?

Thank you for any information you might be able to dig up!

regards,

Howard Emerson

welcome aboard.

Forgive me Howard as it was not on Long Island. However, a great deal of pride which still exists today forces me to interject. I hope you understand. 

In the third quarter of 1979, myself(at the ripe old age of 21) and a partner were awarded our Klipsch franchise. We felt that opening our retail establishment totally and completely hinged on being able to offer Klipsch to the public in the small California, Central Valley town of Merced.

We opened our doors and began operation in August of 1979 thanks to the help of a lot of GREAT folks in the audio industry of that era. Jack Thornton Co., Dale Sprock, Bill Rogers, Woody Jackson, Kent Sheldon, Chuck Mulhearn and the list goes on. Georgia helped us a lot on the credit end of things as well.

We proudly named our new baby "Sound Encounters". The license plate on our delivery vehicle(a white, 1962 Ford Falcon pickup with three on the tree)proudly declared we had "HiFi4U".

The store was gorgeous. Dark Wood and blue carpeting on the walls and floor. Live plants, art, etc. We had one enclosed sound room which contained only the Heritage line in it's entirety(except for Belles)later on the KG's, Fortes and Chorus, etc.. Boston Acoustics and the "other stuff" was outside. LOL! Merced had never seen anything like it. We were SO proud. Those were grand times, times which I will never, ever forget nor the folks that were met along the way.

Just when I thought things could not become anymore surreal, in 1983 I believe, myself and a small contingent of about five other guys from California dealerships were invited to Hope to spend a week at the plant and the "Compound". Talk about giddy, wow! The folks in Hope were ALL world class hosts. We felt SO  welcome. From the plant tours, the educational and sales tools, to heading out to Garland over "Piss Bridge" for Catfish and Hush Puppies, it just could not get any better.....or could it?

Mid week we were told we were going to the Bosses home for lunch. The Boss?

Turns out when we get there it is the home of PWK and Ms. Valerie. Holy Cow, I have never been so intimidated in my life. That soon passed. They could not have made us feel more at home. We had a wonderful lunch. PWK showed us his model Trains in the pool house(yes, the one that carried refreshments to guests by the lap pool), Ms. Valerie was gracious enough to play the same song on both her Steinway and Bosendorfer pianos so we could hear the difference between them. We were commoners in the presence of royalty, but we did not once feel as such. One of the most memorable experiences of my life. I also stood shoulder to shoulder(well, i'm only 5'4", but you know what I mean)with PWK in the fairly recently completed Anechoic Chamber. GREAT experience but a weird place. Standing in that thing made me feel "off" somehow, haha.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I have gone on and on. Happens to me every time the subject comes up. But those times will never be again and I will forever cherish the memories, the people and the customers that allowed us  to change their lives forever by bringing Klipsch into their home. though my partner and I have not been involved since the '90's, the business still stands today, 42 years later, in it's current format. I still run into old customers, old friends who thank me, thank us, for the enrichment that we brought into their lives through Klipsch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I can confirm Rosner Custom Sound, I worked there in 1977/1978 and that's where I first heard Klipsch Heritage. Rosner did nightclub sound system installation also, we used bass horns based on the Klipschorn bass bin which were scaled up and sealed (sounded great). Rosner Custom Sound is located in Long Island City, which is part of the borough of Queens, NY.  A chain called Stereo Exchange was a Klipsch Dealer, 2 stores I remember in the mid 80's were located in Manhattan and Northern New Jersey. 

I bought my Klipsch Chorus II at Continental Sound in Forest Hills, Queens in 1990. They sold some nice equipment back in the day and bought my Sony ES amp and CDP there as well. Not that I am in the market but I haven’t seen a Klipsch dealer in the metropolitan area since J&R Music World closed years back. The highest end Klipsch product they sold were Heresy’s. 

• 1 year later...

I am looking for Power FEP 204 crossovers sold by Rosner Custom Sound. Alex used to use them when building club sound systems. All of the clubs that he designed sound systems for have closed and I’m wondering if any of the clubs sold their equipment and one or more of the crossovers I’m looking for are available for purchase? I have already asked Alex and he suggested that I ask around since he is no longer in contact with any of the club owners who purchased equipment from him. Any help would be greatly appreciated! My email address is cmatlockdj@yahoo.com and my phone number is 312-498-5152 and my name is Charles Matlock. I am currently building sound systems in Chicago and Frankie Knuckles was my mentor (I was working for him setting up his DJ equipment when I was 19)