OILING YOUR SPEAKERS

H-D Rider

So I went on a speaker oiling binge . Khorns ,belles,  Forte`s and my new heresy llll s.

I have used boiled linseed oil for 30 plus years with great results.

But my lV`s now have a rough bumpy feel to them .

I think it must be the finish / sealer - poly ? maybe .

That did not let the linseed soak in ? .

Any thoughts on how to remove it safely ,I hear the veneer is real thin. 

If it has not set for too long, you might be able to apply some more on the chance it will get the current residue to "dissolve" in to it and then wipe off the new (and not so new) entirely.

I used to have to do this with Danish oil if I had not wiped off the surface completely and it was gummy the next day. I eventually learned my lesson.

I agree about not wanting to start using abrasives on the veneer

13 hours ago, H-D Rider said:

They are lV`s and nowhere does it say they are Lacquered . 

Not on klipsch website not on my tags . But Thank`s for the input .

So what do the "tags" say?

I am agreeing with others here that some turps or paint thinner will cut through the splotches and smooth out the excess oil residue.

My suspicion is your other speakers are an oiled finish and took well to absorbing more oil whereas the H IVs (pardon my mistake) are lacquered. Lacquer does not take on a penetrating oil real well.

8 hours ago, babadono said:

So what do the "tags" say?

I am agreeing with others here that some turps or paint thinner will cut through the splotches and smooth out the excess oil residue.

My suspicion is your other speakers are an oiled finish and took well to absorbing more oil whereas the H IVs (pardon my mistake) are lacquered. Lacquer does not take on a penetrating oil real well.

So my tags say / American Walnut .Nothing about lacquer, But I called Klipsch in hope today and they are lacquer .

On a happy note I used 0000 steel wool followed up with a quick wipe of lacquer thinner and they are as good as new. 

Thank God - I was pretty pissed at my self .4 hours of work but its all good now . All my other speakers are oiled.

I Thank Everyone for all the input . 

• Like 1

My 2007 La Scala IIs are lacquered.  I confirmed that with a call to Klipsch Customer Service.

If your speakers are shiny as opposed to dull, they could be lacquered.  I have some non-Klipsch speakers that have a dull/natural finish.  They’re made of oiled walnut, and I occasionally oil them.

• Thanks 1