oldtimer

21 hours ago, rockhound said:

My boss went in today because his younger brother committed suicide. This is a real problem in the U.S. often overlooked. Any resource given for those that are hurting can only be a positive one.

Sorry for your loss oldtimer.

Yes, sorry for your loss, Brian.  My nephew and I (I have only one nephew) are pretty close.  When he asked me to take him to his first rock concert, some years ago, he was 14.  I waited a few months for a concert that would be a memorable experience, and my choice was Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band.  He liked it.  Last Wednesday afternoon, he drove over for a visit, and we turned each other on to music we hadn't heard before.  He really likes my stereo.  I just mention this to suggest that I can understand your loss to some degree, because losing my nephew would hurt, and I'm sure you're still hurting.

This is a real problem everywhere.  About ten years ago, my financial adviser committed suicide, and his brother worked in the same office.  He had to take over some of his brother's accounts.  I don't know whether that might have worsened or improved his experience of grieving and otherwise reacting.

Two years ago, I got the bad news that an old friend from racing had killed himself.  He was happily married, with a great wife and two happy grown children.  He had always seemed cheery, with a sense of humour, so it made no sense to me.  His daughter came on to his Facebook page to let his friends know what had happened, and when I communicated with her, I learned there was more to the picture.  He'd been fighting depression for years, taking various antidepressants with limited success.  Then his doctor prescribed Prozac for him, and six days later he took his own life.

It amazes me that there are medicines that can cause a patient to consider suicide, and even make plans to do it, sometimes successfully.  To make it worse, there seems to be no way of testing to see which patients have this vulnerability.   I hope that science can get us out of at least that one cause of these tragedies.