Klipsch Heresy which model to buy and a fair price?

creed2

Hi, I'm new here but a 15 year member on  Audiogon. I owned Klipsch and Altec 604's long long ago. My other system is mostly modern tube and solid state gear except for linn lp12.I have a Mapleshade Scott lk48 in a closet I would like to pull out and use again. Can some one suggest which Heresy to buy. I would love to buy the Heresy 4's but out of my budget for second system. I'm also,open to most other models of Klipsch but just don't want a speaker that shouts at me. I just like how lively and fun klipsch can sound? This system will be used with Scott amp, Well tempered Labs turntable, Pass Lab phono pre, MHDT Orchid tube dac , Auralic streamer. I can solder and am open to a rebuild. What version would be best and a fair price to pay. Thanks for any help and suggestions. If someone has something they would like to sell please let me know, thank you Paul 

• Like 2

welcome.  This is a much friendlier place !    I picked up a pair of Heresy II for my brother last year. They were really nice, oiled oak.    I paid $500 but up here in New England thats actually not bad.   I owned Heresy III and really liked them, should be good deals on those.  I actually went to listen to Heresy IV to hear the difference and ended up buying Forte IV.    If not for a generous trade in I would have kept them....

• Like 1

@creed2,

Welcome to the forum.

I own the Heresy 1 and Heresy 2 and both in their own way sound wonderful.  Both are a great way to get your feet wet for not a whole bunch of $$$.  Deals on NOS Heresy 3's might be found if you search long and hard enough.  What I found most appealing about the Heresy is that it is not rally amplifier picky and can sound great with just about any amp, IMO.

Bill

I have no idea where you are located, but in my neck of the woods there are usually all sorts of deals on used Klipsch models listed on Craigslist.

I regularly see Heresies, Cornwalls, Fortes, and various KG cabinets. My guess is that the asking prices are typically about 20-30% more than what they eventually sell for. 

As far as whether the speaker "shouts at you", that is tricky. The Klipsch sound, in general terms,  is described that way by some. For others the same sound is described as having dynamics, impact, and clarity. Personally, I like their sound, but I also realize that it is not for everyone.

Good luck,

-Tom

H1's are usually anywhere from $300 - $600 depending on finish and zip code.  Still a great speaker and easy to work on if you want to try different updates to tweeters and horns.
I've owned 3 sets of the H1's and currently have a set from 1977 (my favorite sounding so far).  If you're patient you can find a good set for a good price.

• Like 2

Hi, thanks everyone, I posted this morning but it said moderator had to approve it. Steve I don't even post on Audiogon anymore for help it's rough over there. If my post doesn't go through I will repost. I'm looking to spend $300 to $1000 plus. I don't mind a project and can solder and do a little wood working. I'm open to other Klipsch speakers, very unfamiliar to all the models. I just know that Scott amp likes horns, thanks again for any help.

• Like 2

If you do not have to have consecutive serial numbers to enjoy your music look for Heresy B stock offerings. I have two year old B stock Heresies that looked perfect (at least to me.) I was going to Cornwalls but due to a cramped living situation, I'm looking more at H4s. As for the price - it can be negotiated with the seller. I know I acquired mine new and sealed for a lower price than I have seen mentioned on here and I could probably get a 100% recoup of my investment if I decided to sell. My B stock box will have a pink tag.  With a sub, they do fine for me.

• Like 2

You know OP, if you find something, anything Klipsch on Craigslist, OfferUp, wherever, you can always ask the forum what they think. I was looking for one speaker and ended up with another more than once.

B stock or open box can be a bargain at times, if money is a consideration.

• Like 1

If you have any vintage stereo shops in your area, that may also be a good source for what you're looking for. Found a single Klipsch quartet to go along with my pair at the local vintage shop here in Vegas. Don't know if he still has them but saw a pair of heresy there too.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:48 PM, creed2 said:

Hi, thanks everyone, I posted this morning but it said moderator had to approve it. Steve I don't even post on Audiogon anymore for help it's rough over there. If my post doesn't go through I will repost. I'm looking to spend $300 to $1000 plus. I don't mind a project and can solder and do a little wood working. I'm open to other Klipsch speakers, very unfamiliar to all the models. I just know that Scott amp likes horns, thanks again for any help.

Your budget may accommodate any where from beater H1 to decent Forte/Chorus I or II if you're lucky. Not sure about the H3. The few I've noticed had been asking over a grand.

9 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Your budget may accommodate any where from beater H1 to decent Forte/Chorus I or II if you're lucky. Not sure about the H3. The few I've noticed had been asking over a grand.

Agree. What size listening area do you have? If the room supports it and you find a set of Chorus within your budget I personally would grab those in any version. I have owned  H1's, H2's, H3's, Forte 2's, Chorus 1/2's and can tell you that out of all of those the Chorus line is my favorite home speaker.

If you are stuck on the Heresy (not a bad place to be at all) then I would look for a set of H3's or H1's. Everyone hears things differently so YMMV. Either way enjoy the ride and good luck with your search.

Thanks, I'm not hooked on Heresy, after looking around the Forte looks very interesting. I will also look for Chorus. I was looking to find a speaker to bring the Scott Lk48 to play with again. I had considered open baffle, Omega type single driver but I have always liked the Klipsch house sound from long ago. I have some Klipsch RF 82's for home theater but they are in the closet. I tried them for music but not a big fan but they are great for home theater. I'm in New Orleans not much in Craigslist down here. I'm willing to take a road trip if I have to just not too too far, maybe 5 or 6 hours if I had to.

1 hour ago, creed2 said:

Thanks, I'm not hooked on Heresy, after looking around the Forte looks very interesting. I will also look for Chorus. I was looking to find a speaker to bring the Scott Lk48 to play with again. I had considered open baffle, Omega type single driver but I have always liked the Klipsch house sound from long ago. I have some Klipsch RF 82's for home theater but they are in the closet. I tried them for music but not a big fan but they are great for home theater. I'm in New Orleans not much in Craigslist down here. I'm willing to take a road trip if I have to just not too too far, maybe 5 or 6 hours if I had to.

you cant beat the Heresy as it will be cheaper than the  Forte and 2x cheaper than a Chorus ---2 pairs of Heresy around 1000$ is peanuts for the sound quality ---never undererstimate a Heresy --

Used at an audio shop in Palatine, IL    Klipsch Heresy IV/ Distressed Oak / $2,150

https://www.simply-stereo.com/used
I gotta get over there and check out their new store. It'll give me a chance to hear the Cornwall IV's again. If I wasn't so happy with my modded 30's those Corns would be in my house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWL said:

I gotta get over there and check out their new store. It'll give me a chance to hear the Cornwall IV's again. If I wasn't so happy with my modded 30's those Corns would be in my house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

YA I did not know they moved till I started looking for something to replace my K-Horns, Will get down there soon might look at a Yahama integrated to replace the McIntosh and PS Audio. 

It's got to be a new owner? The last time I was there the owner was the Finance Manger for HiFi Hutch back in the 70s Man I miss that store. That and stoping at Hotter than Mothers Music on the way. 😀

• Like 1