Klipsch Heresy which model to buy and a fair price?

creed2

On 3/29/2021 at 10:21 PM, creed2 said:

Hi, I'm new here but a 15 year member on  Audiogon. I owned Klipsch and Altec 604's long long ago. My other system is mostly modern tube and solid state gear except for linn lp12.I have a Mapleshade Scott lk48 in a closet I would like to pull out and use again. Can some one suggest which Heresy to buy. I would love to buy the Heresy 4's but out of my budget for second system. I'm also,open to most other models of Klipsch but just don't want a speaker that shouts at me. I just like how lively and fun klipsch can sound? This system will be used with Scott amp, Well tempered Labs turntable, Pass Lab phono pre, MHDT Orchid tube dac , Auralic streamer. I can solder and am open to a rebuild. What version would be best and a fair price to pay. Thanks for any help and suggestions. If someone has something they would like to sell please let me know, thank you Paul 

Welcome to the forum

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a pair of Heresy III "Capitol Records 75th Anniversary" edition (gee) for a few years and after the piles of great reviews of the IVs I bought a pair as, hey, they're "improved."  I'm a long time musician, pro sound engineer,  audio geek, jazz fan, and certified old person with Golden Ears, or actually flesh colored but experienced earballs. Or at least I know what I like. In any case the IVs are built better than the IIIs, new designs for the mids and ported, etc., and I was more or less happy with all that and hopeful during a 2 month break-in period. The issue became a pronounced upper mid, ear disturbing "blat" that I hoped would go away....most noticeable when a piano reached certain upper range notes that suddenly would jump out and harsh my mellow. My IIIs don't do that...they're pretty much flat and clean all the way up, and the IIIs have a much more complicated horn loading "phase plug" design far different than the poly driver bolted directly to the horn on the IVs. A VERY different mid driver design with the IIIs that simply works. Plus the IIIs are titanium mid diaphragms...also making 'em different. I use a couple of REL subs so the extra bass (not that much really) from the ported IVs was irrelevant although sounded similar to the excellent bass of the IIIs. Suffice to say the IVs went off to a new home...I did wonder if the annoying tone issue was specific to that particular pair, but the whole experience just made me happier with the IIIs which sound fabulous.

I've been drifting,  tried to find a pair of klipsch then started looking at single driver like Tannoy, Omega, DIY Audio Nirvana. Now I've come full circle again back looking at Klipsch again. The diy Audio Nirvana looked real interesting in a 12 or 15 inch driver in a 5.6 cabinet for under a $1000. I think I'm going to keep looking for a pair of klipsch, there not easy to find at a fair price it seems. Anyone know a good deal on Forte, Heresy or other models please let me know, sorry I disappeared for a while I'm just a little confused trying to match this Scott lk48 up. 

On 4/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, creed2 said:

I've been drifting,  tried to find a pair of klipsch then started looking at single driver like Tannoy, Omega, DIY Audio Nirvana. Now I've come full circle again back looking at Klipsch again. The diy Audio Nirvana looked real interesting in a 12 or 15 inch driver in a 5.6 cabinet for under a $1000. I think I'm going to keep looking for a pair of klipsch, there not easy to find at a fair price it seems. Anyone know a good deal on Forte, Heresy or other models please let me know, sorry I disappeared for a while I'm just a little confused trying to match this Scott lk48 up. 

Where are you located?  I'm always perusing different sites and places in the Western U.S., and have found multiple sets of Klipsch speakers for friends/forum members.

• 2 years later...

Hi. I’m new to the forum and hoping someone can help me with a real world value on a pair of Heresy II’s. I ordered them new from Klipsch through a stereo shop in 1986 so they are one owner and in great condition. They are birch with the corresponding tan bamboo grills. A few years ago I got in touch with Bob Crites (I learned about him through reading the forum over the years) and he built new crossovers for the speakers, which I installed. I just received new titanium diaphragms from Crites.com (Bobs son?) but have not installed those, yet. They come with original stands and badges. Any ideas on value? I am downsizing and want these to go to a good home. Thank you!

Pair H-II-BR w/stands

Built Oct 1986

Tweeter drivers: K-76-K    8642

Midrange drivers: K-53-k  IPSC    8624

Woofer: K-24-K

~2020 Replaced original crossovers with Bob Crites upgrades

Thanks for your response, billybob. Here are a few pics of the Heresy’s. I could only upload 3 due to file size, but can send more if needed. I’ll have to look for the original crossovers to see if I kept them. I ordered the speakers with matching birch stands so they are original and match the cabinets perfectly. I’m not too far from Asheville, NC.

Regards

IMG_3096.jpeg

IMG_3100.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg

• Like 1

@sundown_cowboy    re-install the original crossovers ,  sell the  speakers 100% original  ..1000$  ,

-  the Crites aftermarket crossovers / Titanium diaphragms  can be sold separately on CL or Ebay  , no point installing titanium diaphragms in the tweeters if the midrange diaphragm is not Titanium 

• Like 1

Going to say 800 to start with and the stands are how tall?

Leaving that to you since you know more about your stands added to above. If the corners of the speakers are sharp. Others may chime into the valuation. Boxes or paperwork may firm your deal up for you.

Looked again and see that the stands you are referring to is the ones on speakers, looking like slanted riser stands. If so then yes 800. to start. Look like blemish on front top. If tops nice and sides.

Be ready to accept less. If you find original crossovers , that helps.

Edited by billybob

Thanks for all your input. Yes, the stands/risers are about 3” in front and an inch on the back. Just designed to aim the sound upward, rather than across the floor, I’d guess. I took a couple pics of the top right on both cabinets. I’m not seeing any blemishes, but not sure exactly what you are seeing in the first pics. Edges are sharp looking to me. I’ll keep looking to see if I saved the original crossovers. Very surprising, but I do understand the value in “original”, so thanks for the advice.IMG_3122.jpeg.a78ea67a5a4b6abf2959f953e3d2b0f7.jpeg

IMG_3123.jpeg.e8f2d40682d57e90a2bd759d377530d9.jpegIMG_3121.jpeg.7e67dee6057a2bc83b5490e9b44d5d38.jpegIMG_5182.thumb.jpeg.007baf10efca26dfce7f82e7c04d1be3.jpeg

IMG_5187.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:07 PM, sundown_cowboy said:

I ordered them new from Klipsch through a stereo shop in 1986 so they are one owner and in great condition.

Fabulous looking! I thought the ones with the round terminal cups were from a couple years earlier. My HIIs are used, without the labels on the backs, but have the square terminal cups. I would have to open one up again, but IIRC the inspection sticker on the inside of mine was dated 1986.

It doesn't really matter, they are still HIIs... I love mine.

Bruce

• Like 1

Thanks for all your input. Yes, the stands/risers are about 3” in front and an inch on the back. Just designed to aim the sound upward, rather than across the floor, I’d guess. I took a couple pics of the top right on both cabinets. I’m not seeing any blemishes, but not sure exactly what you are seeing in the first pics. Edges are sharp looking to me. I’ll keep looking to see if I saved the original crossovers. Very surprising, but I do understand the value in “original”, so thanks for the advice.IMG_3122.jpeg.a78ea67a5a4b6abf2959f953e3d2b0f7.jpeg

IMG_3123.jpeg.e8f2d40682d57e90a2bd759d377530d9.jpegIMG_3121.jpeg.7e67dee6057a2bc83b5490e9b44d5d38.jpegIMG_5182.thumb.jpeg.007baf10efca26dfce7f82e7c04d1be3.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry for the repeat post.

billybob, I really appreciate your input. That’s exactly what I needed for a starting point. Looking at eBay the Heresy’s are all over the place. Many are around $1500, but you can’t go by what someone is asking, only by sales, of course.

marvel, I noticed the date on the round terminals of my HIIs is 1985. My records say I paid for them in Oct 1986, so who knows? I do know I’ve had some almost surreal moments listening to them over the years. All kinds of music. The stereo shop put Sade Smooth Operator on when I listened to them and I’d never heard speakers sound so good. Of course, he probably had them wired to $4000 amps in the shop! My friends all loved them and we had some good times together. As I’m sure you probably have with yours. Enjoy!

• Like 1