Yes!!! . . . No!!!

XPhys71

First, the good news:

I got my new 733 P3 (slot 1) CPU from my cousin last week! So nice, but I need a new mobo for it. I thought it would be a socket 370 but it's not. I think the Abit SH6 is the only mobo that supports slot 1's with the 815e chipset. And . . . I got a Visiontek Geforce2. Woohoo! No more choppy TNT graphics!

Now the bad:

The problem was that I tried installing the 5.12 drivers and their must've been a conflict. I was getting lockup problems bad. It got to the point where I had to reformat the drive and lost EVERYTHING on it. frown.gif

Got everything back up to speed now re-installed all the components (except one, see #2 below), latest Detonator 3 drivers, no problem and the graphics are sweet! Unreal Tourney is much better on the new card compared to the TNT (1280x1028x32). Now I see why it's the GotY. biggrin.gif

A couple questions:

1) How do I enable the overclocking utility for the Det 3 drivers?

2) My computer won't let me install the drivers for my Creative DVD-ROM and DXR3 decoder card. I try to run the DXR3 driver install off the CD but the computer says the card isn't installed. The card IS installed and is patched between my vid card and monitor, just like it was before the fateful crash.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

To oc, run regedit, double click HKey_Local_Machine, go to software, then nvidia corp, then global, then nvtweak. Under the edit menu, add a new DWORD called CoolBits, with value 3 and hexidecimal setting. Reboot, go into the advanced tab of the nvidia/geforce display tab and there should be a new tab, hardware settings or something.

When you first unlock the settings, you have to reboot again, and its suggested that you reboot everytime you change the clock speeds.

quote:

Originally posted by XPhys71:

My computer won't let me install the drivers for my Creative DVD-ROM and DXR3 decoder card. I try to run the DXR3 driver install off the CD but the computer says the card isn't installed. The card IS installed and is patched between my vid card and monitor, just like it was before the fateful crash.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

Have you installed the driver from the DVD floppy disk? You need to do that first before you install the software on the CDc>

------------------

SO MUCH TO DO, SO LITTLE TIME.c>

Ha! I'm so stupid! Thanks Hofy! That was it. I totally forgot about the floppy. And I swear, the manual never said anything about the floppy when I read it before . . . :/

Dman, thanks for the instruction. I'm going to try it out now. I hope I don't fry the card.

I would only oc the ram. 5 - 10 extra MHz of core speed isn't gonna do much. The memory bandwidth is the bottleneck, so upping it 10 - 20 MHz will substantially increase performance. What do you have, the GTS? MX? Ultra? 64 MB?

I've got the VTek GTS 32 MB DDR and I've got the memory up to 350 from 333 and it helps. If you keep the overclock of the ram reasonable, no extra cooling is needed.

I've got the same one you do, Dman. I have the core at 235 and the memory at 375. I've been playing with it (carefully) and it's pretty stable so far. It only locked up when I took the core >240 and the memory >380. Mine's got a fan on the GPU and I took one side of the case off and have a 12" oscillating fan blowing into the computer.

That's excellent. Have you noticed a big improvement (fps, smoothness of 3d graphics)? You realize that a GF2 Ultra runs at 250 Mhz core and 460 MHz memory, and considering your card costs about a third of what the Ultra does, I'd say you're doing alright.

Personally, I wouldn't endanger my card to the extent you are, but if you don't plan to keep the card for a long time, go right ahead.

About the fan, I don't know if that's the best method. They make excellent cooling systems for video cards which are compact, efficient, and quiet for about 20 bucks. I imagine your system is quite loud which has to be annoying.

quote:

That's excellent. Have you noticed a big improvement (fps, smoothness of 3d graphics)? You realize that a GF2 Ultra runs at 250 Mhz core and 460 MHz memory, and considering your card costs about a third of what the Ultra does, I'd say you're doing alright.

I haven't run any benchmarks, though it would be good to do when I have time. I tested the stability of the system at each setting by playing a round of Unreal Tourney with everything maxed, 32 bit color, 1280 x 1028 res. Honestly, I couldn't really tell, but that's mostly because I didn't play at the default setting a whole lot before o'clocking. Oh, and compared to playing everything on a 16 MB TNT card, the Geforce2 rocks o'clocked or not!c>

quote:

Personally, I wouldn't endanger my card to the extent you are, but if you don't plan to keep the card for a long time, go right ahead.

I was worried about that too but I pulled up an article on tweak3d which mentioned the o'clocking/longevity issue. It's mostly a heat dissipation problem. If you have enough cooling so the card's components don't overheat, you should theoretically be fine for years. Thus the BAF (big-assed fan). . . c>

quote:

About the fan, I don't know if that's the best method. They make excellent cooling systems for video cards which are compact, efficient, and quiet for about 20 bucks. I imagine your system is quite loud which has to be annoying.

Yeah, the fan's kinda loud, but then I just turn up the pro's! I really don't notice it much since it's under the desk. Actually, it's nice to have a little breeze by my feet when I'm gaming. smile.gif On the plus side, I get incredible airflow over the vid card, CPU, sound card, mobo, everything, for like $12 or something. There's nothing wrong with overkill, is there? biggrin.gif

I might get something like the blue orb to replace the fan on the GPU someday. I played cstrike last night for an hour and a half and everything worked great.

c>

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing will ever be as loud as the fan I had on my K6-3 450... the motherboard it was in was not certified by AMD to work with it and I didnt have money for a new mobo at the time.. the chip ran really really really hot, so I took a huge blower (the kind used to move air in the ducts of small houses) and aimed it up into my case, that thing was so damn loud... if I can get a picture of it, I will post it, its rather amusing smile.gif

I saw someone stick a small one to the side of his case before, but it sucked air out of the case rather than blowing it in, it was probably around half to 1/3 the size of mine and had only one rotary fan blade, but I wager it was effective, it was positioned in the middle of the side of the case

for cooling your Video card, you can get a Blue Orb or TennMax LasagnaII (wait till the second version is out) I don't know if you have RamSinks on your card but that might not be a bad Idea if you plan on continually overclocking. I would also put a fan blowing across the card to blow past the RAMSinks.

On http://www.thecardcooler.com/ I was planning on getting one of the big case card cooling fan setups (the one with the dual 120mm fans), they look like they could do the trick...

Hey XPhys if you are interested I could sell you that big blower thing, just beware, its noisy, but it has a potentiometer thing on it so you can turn the speed up or down. I rarely ran it full out, but it output a buttload of air.

as for its dimentions, its probably about a little over a foot in length (as in across the back), 8-10 inches wide (across the side), and about the same tall

I have thought a couple of times about cutting holes in my case and installing this thing in the side of it, but your case will have to be heavy or else it would fall over.

Oh, I don't know. I don't think it'll fit under my desk!

Is there a difference in RAM sinks? I should probably splurge and pick up a few. I think I remember seeing some heatsinks that were REALLY tall and pointy. Looked pretty cool. Tack 'em on with thermal tape, right?

• Like 1