Problem w/ Distressed OAK Veneer On new SPEAKERS, need help from other D/OAK owners!!

John Saun

Hi... I just received my new Klipsch speakers in Distressed OAk Veneer, which looked like a great color combo. These were recently made down in Hope and shipped to me from klipsch. I am not sure if I have a big issue or the veneer is just so "off" that the speakers looks like it half one color on one side and another color on the other.  The fact my wife noticed told me everything I needed to know as she never notices anything when it comes to speakers, subs, electronics.   Both speakers have the same exact thing with the half/half coloring.

Can other Distressed OAk Owners please tell me if there speakers look like this & if this is normal or something went wrong when these were made? I would greatly appreciate the feedback.   Thanks to all!  

IMG_7215.JPG

IMG_7205.JPG

IMG_7211.JPG

IMG_7214.jpg

Edited by John Saun
Add Photo

Hello I am also a newbie. Surprised no one has replied yet.  As a potential buyer, I personally would pass if I saw these for sale. The veneer grain matches but the stain/finish does not.  Some others might like this finish but for me, I would ask for a new set - IMHO. Especially for A Grade.

Use the Warranty and return them, For me personally that would be unacceptable. Paying near 4K I would expect a perfect finish, The off color is not a natural occurrence, that one would expect to see. Being real wood veneer there can be differences, stain color does not apply to those differences

Good Luck with it, Welcome to the Forums

• Like 3

They might say something like -- these are a natural wood product and there's some variance. But, while the veneer looks book matched OK, it looks like there is a big issue with the consistence of the stain/finish. If it was me, I would request either a deep discount (like 1K, if I could live with it), or a return/exchange.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:29 AM, Sam S. said:

They might say something like -- these are a natural wood product and there's some variance. But, while the veneer looks book matched OK, it looks like there is a big issue with the consistence of the stain/finish. If it was me, I would request either a deep discount (like 1K, if I could live with it), or a return/exchange.

It looks like on the front half of the speakers they did NOT use any Varnish, etc as it super light and you can't really see the grain as well, however, on the back half, it is darker and the grain is much darker.  Was the QC  not good the day these were made?

Edited by John Saun

On 4/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, babadono said:

Hey Klipsch...Your slippin"  Nobody at the factory noticed this? Or thought it would be Ok? C'mon.

This is B stock at best.

Perhaps "distressed" means whatever junk we can throw together:o

From other members feedback, It looks like the front half piece Veneer is missing a coat of something like varnish, etc as when the veneer is cut it is then applied with something (not sure what exactly) to accentuate the grain and give it a bit of protection.   Does anyone else have Distressed OAK to compare it to?  Otherwise the D/oak  w/ the whitish lambs wool front cover should be a real nice combo.

Edited by John Saun

On 4/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, RandyH000 said:

klipsch will take care of it ,  no worries , either they will fix it or they will replace it , currently , the veneer is 50% off ---1 side is darker , the other half is lighter --

I really hope they take care of this.. Thanks

Edited by John Saun

32 minutes ago, John Saun said:

it takes so long for them to get back to you and sometimes really hard to reach them as well.

I understand 2x in a row is very frustrating , klipsch will make it right , no worries -could be that they are already setting up a new pair to be sent out to you

1.  I'm no wood (nor finish) expert

2.  I would expect Klipsch to stand behind it.

3.  What I surmise happened....  is that where the veneers were attached, something is/was different.  That line is too straight for it to be a finish issue (though it is a finish issue) or construction issue.

Meaning, someone put them together BUT the piece they put together already had this inherent situation from when the pieces were supplied to Klipsch.

I would have expected that to hit the "B" pile....  unless perhaps if during review, the light changed the looks???

Unfortunate this happened to you.

On 4/1/2021 at 12:10 PM, RandyH000 said:

I understand 2x in a row is very frustrating , klipsch will make it right , no worries -could be that they are already setting up a new pair to be sent out to you

I hope so as it took a while last time to wait for these from Hope, AR. Also, if there are none in stock again, it could be anywhere from 4-8 weeks. 

Edited by John Saun
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, Coytee said:

1.  I'm no wood (nor finish) expert

2.  I would expect Klipsch to stand behind it.

3.  What I surmise happened....  is that where the veneers were attached, something is/was different.  That line is too straight for it to be a finish issue (though it is a finish issue) or construction issue.

Meaning, someone put them together BUT the piece they put together already had this inherent situation from when the pieces were supplied to Klipsch.

I would have expected that to hit the "B" pile....  unless perhaps if during review, the light changed the looks???

Unfortunate this happened to you.

Just looks like the 2 pieces of Veneer are completely off. One has rich color and the second is completely faded,  was this a outside vendor issue w/ the veneers? I guess just not caught at final inspection? 

Edited by John Saun

On 4/1/2021 at 2:26 PM, Budman said:

you need new speakers and the factory needs a new spray gun 😎

Yes, Now that I 100% know that this is NOT what they should look like, I am going to pursue getting them replaced. 

**** Thanks to all that chimed in that the finish is defective! Was worried that this was "normal"....

Edited by John Saun