1977 LaScala emblem

AnitaB

I have 1977 La Scalas.

Serial numbers are 12R698 and 12R702.

I just had them professionally restored.

I would like to know what the original emblem looked like. Was it one of these? A different one? (These are photos people sent me.)

Where can I buy a copy of the originals?

Thanks,

Anita Berk

53bc8efe43d8230949ba5d13c8841724.jpg

78a0b310ebe77746be41e23f73ea17b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much!!!
That’s the ones with the lines in them. Correct?

So is my only option to buy a copy on Etsy or eBay? Or are there other options?

Thank you so much! [emoji3590]

After and before photos.
[emoji846]

Thanks,
Anita

11ea901beb35fd1067ced50cc3470ce9.jpg
0bcf2d260b42ea5d20a038e96daddcb7.jpg
564a0b31b6eeb1a54e59a47d53bfd704.jpg

The badge with the lines across it is known on this forum as "laser badges". They were only around for 3 years as someone posted. They do show up on eBay occasionally, but not often. The other badge you showed was used after those years. If you found a good set of those on eBay, I wouldn't hesitate to put them in your speakers. They show up more often on eBay than the laser badges. You can get knock off badges of either, but the originals show up from time to time.

Thank you!
I found the laser badges on eBay.
I found a used set and a copy.

The used set is a bit scratched in the front and appears to have unremovable glue on the back. (Look at both photos.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-TWO-LASER-LOGO-BADGES-EMBLEMS-OEM-ORIGINAL-METAL-FACTORY-HERESY-LA-SCALA-/203306748192?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The copies:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLID-COPPER-Klipsch-Speaker-Badge-Logo-Emblem-Pair-Vintage-Laser-Look-/174073500193?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Please be honest, if these were going to be yours, what would you pick?

My guy Tomasz will put them on for me.

Thank you.
Anita

I would buy the original ones. They cost more, but it is accurate and not a knock off. I don't try to clean up the old glue when I replace badges. I put some super glue on the back of the badge over the old adhesive and place it on the grill and hold it in place until the glue sets up. I use a tape measure to help me line them up.

• Like 1

I don’t think Tomasz will use super glue on my newly refurbished speakers. I think he wanted to use some double sided something tape. Can you use this tape over the existing glue on the emblems?

Here are before and after photos.
40c20b38cae9b6a66de735a496c97ccb.jpg
aaf1aa3048de04d932ffae69ca2c40b0.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, AnitaB said:

Can you use this tape over the existing glue on the emblems?

you can remove the glue , with a bit of paint or lacquer thinner -better have a clean flat surface for double sided tape

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One of the reasons those so-called "laser" logos are so hard to find is that they were originally installed on the grille-cloth using double-sided sticky tape, and it was very easy for them to get lost in the shuffle once a piece of clothing got snagged on the corner of the badge...that glue residue remaining on originals can be quickly removed with goo-b-gone. 

PWK himself had the copyright to the PWK logo, NOT the company!   So, the so-called laser badge came about as a result of company internal hierarchy strife, during which the copyright for the PWK logo was temporarily pulled back from use by the company.  The replacement logo for the so-called laser badge had the re-instated PWK copyright emblem returned to occupy a box to one side of that badge.  The "internal hierarchy strife" didn't last for very long, but it took awhile to get the new badges designed and to the company in enough numbers to begin using them on production speakers. 

The PWK "pie-slice" loges used prior to the so-called laser badges, were still out in the plant stored at individual final assembly work-tables for a few years "in-hiding" because most of the plant employees wanted them installed on their "employee specials" when they got to final assembly.  Eventually, they were all gone...I'm sure that many of the employees hoarded back a few of them before they were ALL gone...I certainly grabbed a few!  One of which has been on the dust cover of my TEAC A2340-R tape deck since 1977!

One of the craziest thing I see, as one of the plant employees who had (and still HAS) the utmost respect for PWK and his accomplishments, in all  of this "reverence" towards the short-lived time of the so-called "laser badge" is how badly people WANT them, since they are actually representative of a short time in the company's history in which an attempted  internal hostile take-over from the company's FOUNDER was in the works!  I guess...it is what it is!😵

Edited by HDBRbuilder
typos corrections.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

do you remember how these Badges were made ----and what was the process --------  embossed-debossed etc -----

NOPE...they just showed-up one day and final assembly was ORDERED to begin using them THAT DAY...sometime in fall of 1977, IIRC!  Bob Moers (company President at the time) gave the "order". A year or two later He was gone! 

Lots of things happened during that "year or two"!  Huge employee turnover!  Union came in!  Many foremen were replaced, lots of new employees... A number of Honchos gone,  employee quarterly bonus plan disappeared (replaceed by very tiny hourly pay increase!), insurance benefits changed (for the worse!)...lots of changes!  It was the negativity of those changes that caused the company to lose lots of fairly long-term very experienced employees.  Everything was supposed to get better, but nothing really did!  I stayed on...but finally left in fall of '83!  Cabinet shop foreman who got that job during that time just pizzed me off one too many times!  I would not sacrifice quality for volume...if the sawyers send me pallets of outta square panels I culled them...He wanted me to build them anyway!  So...I finally had enough of it!  One Monday morning I walked in, he got between me and time clock...told me I was late...time clock still had three minutes til start time...I was one-minte walk from my work-table...I reached over his shoulder and clocked-in, then clocked out...told him..."Good luck with Heresy production this week!"...walked over to my worktable, grabbed anything that was mine, and out I went!...straight to the unemployment office, which, BTW wouldn't even be open until over a hour later!  Three weeks later I was working in a local custom cabinet and glass-work company!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have two 1977 Lascalas that I bought separately years apart as singles.  The serial numbers are far far apart.  The cabinets are somewhat different from one another.  They must have made some changes in the cabinet build in 1977.  The badges are on the speakers so I know they are real.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 4:32 PM, mark1101 said:

I have two 1977 Lascalas that I bought separately years apart as singles.  The serial numbers are far far apart.  The cabinets are somewhat different from one another.  They must have made some changes in the cabinet build in 1977.  The badges are on the speakers so I know they are real.

Pics can help me tell you what is different about them, if anything at all.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, AnitaB said:

I don’t think Tomasz will use super glue on my newly refurbished speakers. I think he wanted to use some double sided something tape. Can you use this tape over the existing glue on the emblems?

Here are before and after photos.
40c20b38cae9b6a66de735a496c97ccb.jpg

what a transformation -------never thought I would  say that Lascala black cabs look this good , but these look brand new -

• Like 1