RP-6000F + Schiit Aegir + SVS SB-1000 Pro?

Gannet

Hello! I am an old-time (66yo) returning audiophile, out of the hobby for some years due to personal circumstances. So I'm not totally up to speed on what is best modern practice.

My room is 12x16x9, 1728 cuft. I have full freedom of placement and treatments. I mostly listen to rock. Sometimes Techno. But, vocal quality is also very important to me, and I do listen to a lot of vocal music, especially female vocalists. I do listen to classical and acoustic musics, but it's a relatively small proportion.

I've had box speakers, of course, and my last system was Maggie 3.3Rs. I've never had horns, and I think I want to give them a try. Fortunately, I'm now retired, but unfortunately that means budget must be more carefully considered. :) I can't believe what some of the stuff I used to have sells for now! :O

I initially thought that towers with 8" woofers would best suit, but it's not a very big room. If the bass got out of hand it could be hard to control. I had intended to run a subwoofer anyways, so then I thought maybe sticking with 6" woofers and a nice sub with controllable EQ might be a good way to go.

So here is the proposed back end of the system:

RP-6000F towers

SVS SB-1000 Pro 12" sealed powered sub

Schiit Aegis 20 wpc power amplifier

Preamp undecided but possibly NAD C 165BEE or Rotel RC-1572. To reduce startup costs I might run a Denon PMA-600NE for a while before upgrading to the separates.

So, the questions:

1) Does this equipment seem a good match to my room and tastes?

2) Does this equipment seem a good match to each other?

3) Is the 20wpc Schiit Aegis enough power to play the RP-6000F quite loud?

Thanks for your help, wisdom, gibes, whatever. :)

@Gannet,

Welcome to the forum.

15 hours ago, Gannet said:

So here is the proposed back end of the system:

RP-6000F towers

SVS SB-1000 Pro 12" sealed powered sub

Schiit Aegis 20 wpc power amplifier

Preamp undecided but possibly NAD C 165BEE or Rotel RC-1572.

Looks to be a nice plan you have there.

To reduce startup costs I might run a Denon PMA-600NE for a while before upgrading to the separates.

Don't be surprised if this Denon handles the duties pretty well on it's own.

1) Does this equipment seem a good match to my room and tastes?

Don't see why not.

2) Does this equipment seem a good match to each other?

Really only way to know is to try.

3) Is the 20wpc Schiit Aegis enough power to play the RP-6000F quite loud?

I think so, but a couple of factors to consider here.  How far is your listening position?  How loud is quite loud?

Let's assume the actual sensitivity of the RP-6000F's is 92dB instead of the spec'd 98dB and no boundary/corner gain in play.

20 watts at a 10ft listening position will measure about 95.3dB.  Seems quite loud to me.

Bill

I have Heresy's (12" woofer) in one 24x15 foot room and R-51PM's (5") in a 12x16 foot room. Hersey system is at one end, the R-51's are on the long wall firing across, about 8 feet apart. Each system has an identical 10" powered sub (Polk, 50 watts). I don't demand a lot of bass. The Hersey's integrate better with the sub, the system seems more "unified." I am happy with both.