What color Quadrex Grills for JBL L100 century?

tigerwoodKhorns

9 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Well, I threw the original brown fabric grills on these for the last week and they do look plain.  Orange might be the color.  Very 1970s and cool with those groovy white woofers. 

since that's out of the way ..

now you can do this !

• Like 1

According to my very old Ampex industrial tape manual after 50 plays a tape looses 3DB at 15KHZ.  They also mentioned that one particle of cigarette smoke will knock down the 15KHZ response by 3DB.  They also mentioned that their $300.00 wow and flutter test tape was +- 1DB.

JJK

On 4/11/2021 at 12:13 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I like Gregg's work but he ruined these speakers. 

I have that beat.  The guy I bought my turntable from showed me the L100s he had re-veneered.  The guy he had do the work covered up the original veneer with walnut...Formica.  And he made matters worse by easing the edges so much that I would have to do considerable work to fix it.

2 hours ago, Cicerogue said:

I have that beat.  The guy I bought my turntable from showed me the L100s he had re-veneered.  The guy he had do the work covered up the original veneer with walnut...Formica.  And he made matters worse by easing the edges so much that I would have to do considerable work to fix it.

These old speakers have really thick veneer compared to today.  If they can be sanded it is the way to go.

On Gregg's speakers, I can see where they may look nice, but the iconic look of the most recognizable speaker is gone.  Looks like a home made speaker (a very nice one).

On 4/3/2021 at 12:31 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Any opinions on what color quadrex grilles?  The choices are light blue, burnt orange, brown and flat black. 

I wanted burgundy, but there is a big up charge.  I am actually thinking brown or blue, but the blue is light blue so brown I guess.

Any opinions? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 12:28 PM, Debbie4755 said:

Does anyone know where I can get replacement grills without paying an arm and a leg for them. The stuff on eBay is crazy. I need four grills. My speakers are 50 years old and still going strong. 

Nope. 

I should have bough them years a go when they were only $125.  They are very labor intensive and cost a bunch.  I am glad that I bought them, even at their current price. 

You can always just use plan brown fabric like the later 1970s speakers if you do not want to spend this much.