Mini Klipschorn Computer Speakers

fini

I remember seeing some small cardboard (?) models made by Paul, during a visit to the train station Klipsch museum in Hope.  Ever since then, I've had an itch to make some micro-Khorns (probably w/o horns) to use as computer speakers.  If I were more ambitious, I'd make them horn-loaded (at least the bass portion, using, perhaps a 2" driver).

I have yet to follow through with this idea, but I'm curious if others have thought of doing this, or have indeed done it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 3.56.52 PM.png

how about a real life Micro Tannoy Dual concentric the Revolution series XT Mini true Dual Concentric with a unique single magnet drive for bot the (3.25") woofer and horn loaded tweeter compression driver. Superb sound.

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FjpT6SG6CJwU%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&sp=1617496493Te27238461cbb2d8c0e3baa3d1221f8e2629552e52d94612ddb0a4112010725a2Tannoy Revolution XT 8F Floor-Standing Speaker

Tanoy Revolution XT Mini.jpg

REVOLUTION-XT-MINI-DW_P0C41_Rear_XL_large.png\

https://hometheaterhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/tannoy-revolution-xt-8f-floor-standing-speaker-image4.jpg

2 hours ago, moray james said:

how about a real life Micro Tannoy Dual concentric the Revolution series XT Mini true Dual Concentric with a unique single magnet drive for bot the (3.25") woofer and horn loaded tweeter compression driver. Superb sound.

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FjpT6SG6CJwU%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&sp=1617496493Te27238461cbb2d8c0e3baa3d1221f8e2629552e52d94612ddb0a4112010725a2Tannoy Revolution XT 8F Floor-Standing Speaker

Tanoy Revolution XT Mini.jpg

REVOLUTION-XT-MINI-DW_P0C41_Rear_XL_large.png\

https://hometheaterhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/tannoy-revolution-xt-8f-floor-standing-speaker-image4.jpg

But they don't look like Khorns!

I understand that but you could use a top quality full range driver like this for your project, place a grill over the mini Khorn cabinet and install this behind it. That is unless you want a really tiny speaker then you could get a two inch full range driver but you will not get any bass response while these play as low as my H3 do though not as loud obviously. Just so you understand that you cannot scale a horn, the desired cut off frequency will determine the physical size so a tiny Khorn or Belle won't make any bass but you can make a tiny look alike Khorn using a direct radiator rather than a horn it will look the same but the direct radiator will make bass.

This tiny Tannoy DC (dual concentric,two way) driver is just a little over five inches across the frame so you have a sense of scale. With a horn loaded tweeter it is a two way which is exactly what Paul Klipsch always wanted the Khorn to be, trouble was for Paul he could never get the Khorn bass bin to go high enough to crossover to a domestically sized mid horn and so by necessity it turned into a three way design. Paul worked on the idea of a two way Khorn for decades until he and Roy Delgado came up with the Jubilee which was a two way horn system exactly what Paul had intended the Khorn to be.

• Like 1

I remember seeing some small cardboard (?) models made by Paul, during a visit to the train station Klipsch museum in Hope.  Ever since then, I've had an itch to make some micro-Khorns (probably w/o horns) to use as computer speakers.  If I were more ambitious, I'd make them horn-loaded (at least the bass portion, using, perhaps a 2" driver).

I have yet to follow through with this idea, but I'm curious if others have thought of doing this, or have indeed done it.
1817744985_ScreenShot2021-04-03at3_56_52PM.png.05afd5d8578c487b058e0c0be274d04a.png

The Pro Media 2.1 is a fantastic speaker system. I doubt you can build one to top it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

My interest in doing this project has little to do with the quality of the sound.  It's more about making something that looks like a little Khorn.  I'd probably do away with trying to recreate the mid horn and tweeter, but it may be fun to incorporate, say, a 2" driver into a folded mini bass bin.  You know, for shits 'n' giggles.  I'd probably use 1/8" door skin for the parts (given the scale of the 2' driver vs. the 15" K-33).

With that in mind, does anyone have a bass bin cut list that I can down-scale from?

• Like 1