replacement plate amplifier for RW-8 Subwoofer

fernan

Hi!

My RW-8 subwoofer (https://www.klipsch.com/products/rw-8-subwoofer) apparently died. It keeps blowing new fuses ... so clearly something bad is going on inside. I will try to save it, and will open it and made a thorough inspection for parts that could be replaced (capacitors, rectifiers, etc), but meanwhile I was wondering if someone can recommend a replacement plate amplifier for this subwoofer?

Pardon my ignorance here, but the specs say the RW-8 amplifier provide 125W continuous / 270W dynamic power. Should I look for a 125W RMS replacement? I'm having a hard time finding one ... any suggestion is appreciated.

Would I damage the RW-8 cone if I install a beefier plate amplifier (e.g. a BASH 300S, as suggested here for a RW-10? https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158091-amp-replacement-for-rw-10/

Thanks in advance folks. Cheers -f

a member here can probably repair the amp,  message @ngen33r for info. 

probably wont find a plate amp that will fit the opening on your sub without modifications... probably worth the reapir cost or just look into buying a newer sub,  the sw8 is a decent small sub but there are so many more options for modern subs that will sound better. 

On 4/5/2021 at 4:37 PM, fernan said:

Hi!

My RW-8 subwoofer (https://www.klipsch.com/products/rw-8-subwoofer) apparently died. It keeps blowing new fuses .

Would I damage the RW-8 cone if I install a beefier plate amplifier (e.g. a BASH 300S, as suggested here for a RW-10? https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158091-amp-replacement-for-rw-10/

Thanks in advance folks. Cheers -f

reach out to  @CECAA850  for  klipsch sub questions   , if you can fix the amp -option B)-

16 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

reach out to  @CECAA850  for  klipsch sub questions   , if you can fix the amp -option B)-

When a manufacturer designs a sub they look at the product as a whole.  The box tune, driver and amp all must work together.  They incorporate a high pass filter into the plate amp to keep the driver from damaging itself from over excursion playing frequencies lower than it was designed to.  Plate amplifiers have no such limiters (for the most part) and it probably wouldn't take long for the driver to be damaged.  Will it work?  Sure but there's no way of telling how loud you can safely play it before you either rip the suspension or let the magic smoke out.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:50 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

a member here can probably repair the amp,  message @ngen33r for info. 

probably wont find a plate amp that will fit the opening on your sub without modifications... probably worth the reapir cost or just look into buying a newer sub,  the sw8 is a decent small sub but there are so many more options for modern subs that will sound better. 

Thanks @EpicKlipschFan! will look into repairing first if possible, though I'm no expert in electronics, nor have tools, would have difficulty following advice online. Cheers,

On 4/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, CECAA850 said:

When a manufacturer designs a sub they look at the product as a whole.  The box tune, driver and amp all must work together.  They incorporate a high pass filter into the plate amp to keep the driver from damaging itself from over excursion playing frequencies lower than it was designed to.  Plate amplifiers have no such limiters (for the most part) and it probably wouldn't take long for the driver to be damaged.  Will it work?  Sure but there's no way of telling how loud you can safely play it before you either rip the suspension or let the magic smoke out.

Thanks @CECAA850for the advice ... helped a lot, makes sense. Will try to repair or otherwise buy a new SW. Cheers.

15 hours ago, fernan said:

Thanks @EpicKlipschFan! will look into repairing first if possible, though I'm no expert in electronics, nor have tools, would have difficulty following advice online. Cheers,

the member i posted will repair it for you for a very decent price,  if it can be repaired.  you send him just the plate amp & he will diagnose it & repair if possible.  send him a message for more info.  

• Like 1