Thoughts on using Beyma CP25 tweeters

RickD

That's because they were most likely playing 4 to 6 db too hot! Almost all the aftermarket tweeters folks use are too efficient for a Klipsch speaker. You need to invest in ALK tweeter attenuator at the very least. Same goes for changing mid horn, mid driver or both.  

If running the DE-10 it's too hot with a Stock Klipsch crossover too! About 3 db in my opinion.

Interesting.....thinking about trying that tweeter attenuator. I have the DE-10 in my KLF-30's. I EQ those higher frequencies and it works really well but always wondered if I'd get better results with something like the ALK tweeter attenuator?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 4/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, sootshe said:

they were extremely brash, rough & unrefined.

I couldn't be happier with my current DE-10's with the timber flare. 

the Beyma is a very old tweeter   , about the only good thing was the baby cheeks lenses these came with , the DE 10 , no comparison in the machining quality -

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SWL said:

Interesting.....thinking about trying that tweeter attenuator. I have the DE-10 in my KLF-30's. I EQ those higher frequencies and it works really well but always wondered if I'd get better results with something like the ALK tweeter attenuator?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd imagine which would be better would depend on what your EQ'ing it with and how good it is theoretically if your able correct it making it flat throughout its range I'd say EQ should be better. But I've always found the simplest path to get the job done usually sounds the best to me.

6 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

the Beyma is a very old tweeter   , about the only good thing was the baby cheeks lenses these came with , the DE 10 , no comparison in the machining quality -

I use the DE-10 and have for a good many years its not a spring chicken either but it is most definitely very good HF driver for sure. I've never cared for the Beyma but I've never used it when I had the ability to attenuate it.  

4 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

I use the DE-10 and have for a good many years its not a spring chicken either but it is most definitely very good HF driver for sure. I've never cared for the Beyma but I've never used it when I had the ability to attenuate it.  

the DE120 and DE 10 are back-ordered at PE  ---------no inventory for a while ---could be the end  ?------75$ for the DE120  and 45$ for the DE 10    -

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2021 at 2:35 AM, sootshe said:

I found the Beymas to be very rough sounding. Have a look at the B & C tweeters.....the DE10 is a sweet sounding unit. 

Re the midrange.....what mid driver are you using? Are you going to use the VTrac with a 2" throat or an adaptor to use the original driver? 

Listening to the DE120 with Crites plastic horn - Really like the sound. May try other types of horns for this driver if available. Listened to the Beyma CP25, but didn't care for them, too harsh. I'll try BMS driver with ALK gentle slope crossover

The DE-120 and DE-10 weren't around back when the Beyma was popular around here. The Beyma WAS the reason Al had the tweeter attenuator developed, because the Beyma was part of the setup with his Trachorn. I liked the Beyma, but by that time I was more interested in getting things to sound good at lower volumes than jacking on the volume.

I've been watching you Deang, you have a lot of good information.

I ordered a set of CP25s from off of Amazon and found they sound terrible, so I returned them. If I recall correctly, Al told me that they were interchangeable with the CT-120. I decided to keep the CT-120s and enhance them with DaveA's SMAHL.  Maybe the crossover wasn't compatible, I'm currently using  the Crites crossover.

When Al starts taking orders again in July I'll order a pair gentle slope crossovers.

I have a lot of bad information too, which is why roy calls me 50cent. 

I have never heard anyone straight up poo poo that driver. It’s actually quite good. What network were you running with it? 

2 hours ago, Deang said:

I have a lot of bad information too, which is why roy calls me 50cent. 

I have never heard anyone straight up poo poo that driver. It’s actually quite good. What network were you running with it? 

The Crites B&K A/4500hz. I initially suspected that the network was not compatible but Al told me that the DE120 and the CP25s were interchangeable. The reason I wanted to change the tweeter is because on my invoice from Crites the tweeter was listed as a CT125. I called over there and was told that they were out of CT120s. When I reinstalled the tweeter I got from Crites I read the fine print on the driver and discovered that they were DE120s. So the tweeters are now mounted on a motorboard for a CP25 with a 1/4" piece of plywood reducing the opening. I am going to replace the plastic horns with a pair of DaveA's SMAHL V2.

2 hours ago, Deang said:

Yeah, you can’t run the Beyma with a first order filter like that. You need 12dB/octave or higher. I’m sure that thing was sounding pretty spitty. 

Beyma suggeats crossing at 5k or higher on those.

I've wanted to try the Beyma CP21/F tweeters in my JBL 4311s. The cutout is almost big enough. The tweeter l-pad in the 4311 might attenuate it enough. They are a cheaper knockoff of the JBL 2405. I know Greg tried them and didn't like them at all.