Thoughts on using Beyma CP25 tweeters

RickD

Has anyone converted their Klipschorns  to use the Beyma Tweeters. I ordered Volti's VTrac wood horn and am considering buying the CP25 tweeters. Would it be money well spent?

Currently I have the Crites crossover and CT125 tweeter and am still looking to improve the sound. The midrange seems to be harsh to me. 

I am using a McIntosh MA352 amplifier and an RME ADI-2 FX DAC.

Thanks,

4 hours ago, RickD said:

Has anyone converted their Klipschorns  to use the Beyma Tweeters. I ordered Volti's VTrac wood horn and am considering buying the CP25 tweeters. Would it be money well spent?

Currently I have the Crites crossover and CT125 tweeter and am still looking to improve the sound. The midrange seems to be harsh to me. 

I am using a McIntosh MA352 amplifier and an RME ADI-2 FX DAC.

Thanks,

I found the Beymas to be very rough sounding. Have a look at the B & C tweeters.....the DE10 is a sweet sounding unit. 

Re the midrange.....what mid driver are you using? Are you going to use the VTrac with a 2" throat or an adaptor to use the original driver? 

7 hours ago, RickD said:

I ordered Volti's VTrac wood horn and am considering buying the CP25 tweeters. Would it be money well spent?

Relative to the K-77 tweeter, the CP25 on top of a tri-amped/dialed-in Belle (center) was quite smooth and timbre-matched to the Jubilees and surround Cornwalls (1979 models with CT125 tweeters). But the CP25 required EQ:

image.thumb.png.c9ca4382a0935961f5c4dd2a858144a1.png

The resulting SPL response for the tri-amped Belle (on-axis at 1m, crossed at 2.5 kHz using LR24 filters):

belle+beyma cp25 tweeter 1-48th octave smoothing.jpg

Ref: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/123370-settings-for-tri-amping-an-82-belle-with-an-active-digital-crossover/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-1762755

I highly recommend tri-amping using a DSP crossover.  The miniDSP 4x10 HD is a good lower-cost DSP crossover.  A Xilica XP-4080 is even better.  Here's a thread on tri-amping a Khorn:

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schu said:

how is it possible to measure timbre?

With my ears...walking from side wall to side wall across the listening positions, listening for any changes in the timbre.  When I can no longer pick out the individual loudspeakers (using dialed-in TAD TD-4002s in the K-402s), that's a timbre match. 

I find that it's also possible to look at the SPL response of all the loudspeakers plotted together, and pretty much see that if they're within ±1.5 to ±2 dB of each other between 30-17,000 Hz, and their polar coverage in-room is pretty much equal, they will likely match in timbre.

Chris

• Like 1

Currently using Crites crossover, but will likely switch to Volti  since I want to change the mid-range driver also to BMS

Thanks for all the input

Edited by RickD
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:02 AM, RickD said:

Sootshe - The DE10 is a driver. There appears to be a variety of horns that the DE10 can be fitted to, any suggestions there?

Well I use the timber tractrix horn from Dave Harris.....there's also the machined aluminium horn available from a member here....not sure of his name, but there's plenty of people here who can tell you that.

I really like the timber tractrix flare....have no experience with the alum flare.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:46 AM, Edgar said:

Very interesting how our thoughts differ in sound comparison. 

I bought a set of Beymas from Greg based on his test results.....when I hooked them up I only listened to them for about 5 minutes before advertising them for sale. 

To my ears they were extremely brash, rough & unrefined. To make sure I wasn't making a mistake, I compared them to a pair of JBL 2404 "baby cheeks" & then I realised I wasn't wrong, as the JBL's were in a different league altogether. Maybe there was a fault with the ones I had? 

I couldn't be happier with my current DE-10's with the timber flare. 

On 4/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, sootshe said:

Very interesting how our thoughts differ in sound comparison. 

I bought a set of Beymas from Greg based on his test results.....when I hooked them up I only listened to them for about 5 minutes before advertising them for sale. 

To my ears they were extremely brash, rough & unrefined. To make sure I wasn't making a mistake, I compared them to a pair of JBL 2404 "baby cheeks" & then I realised I wasn't wrong, as the JBL's were in a different league altogether. Maybe there was a fault with the ones I had? 

I couldn't be happier with my current DE-10's with the timber flare. 

That's because they were most likely playing 4 to 6 db too hot! Almost all the aftermarket tweeters folks use are too efficient for a Klipsch speaker. You need to invest in ALK tweeter attenuator at the very least. Same goes for changing mid horn, mid driver or both.  

If running the DE-10 it's too hot with a Stock Klipsch crossover too! About 3 db in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been running them for a few years. Low level listening, I like them wide open.  If Im going to run it at 30-50 watts or so peak, I like them cut to -3db as they can get a bit spitty on some hot recordings on the top end.  I think they're very revealing, but then again, Im a fan of the buzzy old K77's too. 

6 hours ago, NOSValves said:

That's because they were most likely playing 4 to 6 db to hot! Almost all the after martket tweeters folks use are too efficient for a Klipsch speaker. You need to invest in ALK tweeter attenuator at the very least. Same goes for changing mid horn, mid driver or both.  

If running the DE-10 it's too hot with a Stock Klipsch crossover too! About 3 db in my opinion.

No....had the ALK tweeter attenuators....plus the Elliptrac mid horn with GPA 399’s.

Even when dialled in correctly, they weren’t even close to the JBL’s. Sorry, I just thought they were terrible. 

3 hours ago, sootshe said:

Even when dialed in correctly, they weren’t even close to the JBLs.

This sounds like you didn't really dial them in well.  Did you ever take in-room acoustic measurements and dial-in the EQ properly on them?  I believe that everything that you said changes once you do that (below crossed to a K-500 horn in a Belle, but even better using a K-510 horn with 2" compression driver and CP25) :

image.png

Chris

On 4/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, Chris A said:

This sounds like you didn't really dial them in well.  Did you ever take in-room acoustic measurements and dial-in the EQ properly on them?  I believe that everything that you said changes once you do that (below crossed to a K-500 horn in a Belle, but even better using a K-510 horn with 2" compression driver and CP25) :

image.png

Chris

Sorry.....but no amount of EQ is going to remedy an inferior driver & certainly won't change the fundamental sound of a driver. 

I'm going from memory here, but I recall a few people saying back in the day that these drivers had to be modified when received from the factory.

My memory says that the phase plug needed to be hand finished, as the machining was extremely rough. Maybe they have overcome these machining tolerances?