Yamaha WXA-50 for Klipsch RP-500M

ecridium

Hi,

I recently bought a pair of RP-500M and is currently connected to a very old Technics SU-V550.
I plan to change the Technics Amplifier to a more modern amp and my main music source for this setup is Spotify.  I'm wondering, could Yamaha WXA-50 drive the RP-500M?

Here is why I'm wondering : 

Does this Watt per Channel means that the Yamaha can't drive the Klipsch RP-500M to it's max potential ?

Thank you 

Edited by ecridium

• Moderators

Welcome.

The answer is NO to the max of the amp. I do not know about that amp but others may be able to help.

All amps when even somewhat close to the WPC rating start to distort, this is what kills speakers. 

A amp with higher WPC will put out more clean watts than a lower power amp. BUT this is not as big a deal with Klipsch speakers since they are so efficient. Being more efficient means they will put out more DB's/volume with less watts. 

Think like the old car radios, you can turn up the volume and it gets louder,. but at some point all it does is add distortion/static and not volume, this is distortion.

Distortion is what kills more speakers than volume. You can turn it up but do not get into any distortion or parts will be fried. Also please do not go deaf, it kind if defeats buying speakers. :lol: 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 11:50 PM, dtel said:

Distortion is what kills more speakers than volume. You can turn it up but do not get into any distortion or parts will be fried. Also please do not go deaf, it kind if defeats buying speakers.

🤣

Thank you for your answer.  I have bought the Yamaha and its doing great.