From KLF30 to La Scala: should I do?

I definitely had to add a sub to my Belle clones after they were done. Almost unlistenable for rock without a sub and I thankfully had a Sunfire HRS-12 subwoofer which blends nice. (I'd almost like to find a second one because of their size) Without a sub, it's a limited genre of music I can tolerate on them and I begin to dislike them.  For the last 4 months, the Belle's sat idle as I've been using a pair of ads L1230's, which don't lack in low end.  

Listen to both in your room as has been mentioned. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. 

• Like 1

I love the looks of the La Scalas but the thought of having two ginormous speakers, plus a sub in my house is unfathomable. I won’t be parting with any of my five pairs of KLF 30’s and 20’s.

If you decide to go the La Scala route, let us know when you sell your KLF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all,
I would like to thank all the participants in this thread.

the guy who sells LaScalas lets me listen to them only if I buy them: I'm sorry but this is not acceptable to me: I don't buy anything if I can't try before buying.
Now I will search a shop in which I can listen them.
I live in Italy and it isn't so easy to found a shop where I can found them.

I'm a bit more careful about my choise: I love my KLF30's and there are wonderful with the music I love.
Maybe I should buy something with more bass than Lascalas (Cornwalls? Fortes?)

So I'll let you know when I get to listen them.

Thank you againg for your useful advice. 😘

• Like 4

go to zero below 60hz... really? MORE output in those lower registers doesn't necessarily mean a better listening experience... but if you're used to distortion, I guess it could.

get the la scala... you WILL NOT be disappointed. Quite the contrary, be prepared for some of the cleanest and tightest bass you have ever heard (if you've never heard a horn loaded bass bin). you WILL need a subwoofer to blend in the response below 50'ish hertz for the best experience.

So speakers that go lower are adding distortion. But adding a subwoofer to get to those frequencies is NOT adding distortion?

3 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

the guy who sells LaScalas lets me listen to them only if I buy them: I'm sorry but this is not acceptable to me

Usually wouldn't be acceptable to me either, although I bought my first pair of LaScalas after driving about 800 miles to have a look. Should have never sold them...

Maybe he's afraid you will come back to steal them. People are strange sometimes. Keep looking, a pair will show up and you will be able to listen.

10 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

First of all,
I would like to thank all the participants in this thread.

the guy who sells LaScalas lets me listen to them only if I buy them: I'm sorry but this is not acceptable to me: I don't buy anything if I can't try before buying.
Now I will search a shop in which I can listen them.
I live in Italy and it isn't so easy to found a shop where I can found them.

I'm a bit more careful about my choise: I love my KLF30's and there are wonderful with the music I love.
Maybe I should buy something with more bass than Lascalas (Cornwalls? Fortes?)

So I'll let you know when I get to listen them.

Thank you againg for your useful advice. 😘

Where are you in Italy, which town or city

I lived just north of Napoli for a few years.

The bass argument is something of a canard, the LaScalas have plenty of bass

I have a quality Klipsch 12in front firing sub woofer that is off most of the time, it's unneeded

Maybe if you like rap or techno pounding, then you might want a sub.

The seller is probably trying to avoid a parade through his house, I don't blame him.

What price is he asking ?

LaScala would be better with another bass drivers with lower fs. and some help from a equalizer. Remember to cut bass frequenzy that goes lower than the drivers can make . Examle cut 20 hz 25hz 31hz 35hz to zero 👍

• Like 1

Keep your KLF-30's!  You will miss the 1st-octave BASS missing on LaScalas, and you may be sensitive to the phase shift delay in the folded bass horn as it crosses into the midrange horn, like I am.  Unless you can biamp and delay the mids & highs for phase coherence (time arrival) which can be easily dialed in by ear, I think you will be disappointed. You will gain a couple of dB loudness, at the expense of deep bass extension and phasing anomalies.

On 4/6/2021 at 7:12 AM, Little Wolf said:

Hi to all!

Near my house there is a boy that he's selling his La Scala's (1st series)

I have KLF30's (I love them!) but I am very, very curious to ear these legendary loudpeakers that I never heard.

In my room (about 410 fs) I would place them at the corners, far from listener about 12 feet.

I can't try them in my room (too big, too heavy...).

My favourite music genre is rock, blues, acoustic, famale jazz singers...

So I should proceed with this purchase? I would get a big improvement, in your opinion?

Thanks  

Had both in same room for a long time.  Kept the KLFs.  I like the deeper bass and more filling sound.  If you don't look for low end bass or have a set of GOOD subs, then the LaScalas may suit you.   Both have their own sound.