From KLF30 to La Scala: should I do?

Hi to all!

Near my house there is a boy that he's selling his La Scala's (1st series)

I have KLF30's (I love them!) but I am very, very curious to ear these legendary loudpeakers that I never heard.

In my room (about 410 fs) I would place them at the corners, far from listener about 12 feet.

I can't try them in my room (too big, too heavy...).

My favourite music genre is rock, blues, acoustic, famale jazz singers...

So I should proceed with this purchase? I would get a big improvement, in your opinion?

Thanks  

• Like 1

I will always recommend La Scalas with enthusiasm.  They are truly one of the greatest speakers out there.  Just be aware of their bass response.  As has been documented many times on this forum, they roll off below 100hz, and have basically zero output below about 60hz.  If you love rock and roll, you will want a subwoofer to go with them.  Otherwise, your KLF30s will out perform them in the bass department. 

• Like 3

go to zero below 60hz... really? MORE output in those lower registers doesn't necessarily mean a better listening experience... but if you're used to distortion, I guess it could.

get the la scala... you WILL NOT be disappointed. Quite the contrary, be prepared for some of the cleanest and tightest bass you have ever heard (if you've never heard a horn loaded bass bin). you WILL need a subwoofer to blend in the response below 50'ish hertz for the best experience.

11 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

Hi to all!

My favourite music genre is rock, blues, acoustic, famale jazz singers...

I am not sure if the bass of the LaScala will impress you  since the  KLF -30 is a powerhouse ,  but the midrange and the tweeter  of the Lascala will be better suited for jazz-blues,

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I am not sure if the bass of the LaScala will impress you  since the  KLF -30 is a powerhouse ,  but the midrange and the tweeter  of the Lascala will be better suited for jazz-blues,

I agree with this whole heatedly.

The La Scala is amazing speaker and echo the sentiments above, for that more extended low frequency response the addition of a sub and you are set. Ideally a sealed one since the horn loaded bass is snappy and quick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I will always recommend La Scalas with enthusiasm.  They are truly one of the greatest speakers out there.  Just be aware of their bass response.  As has been documented many times on this forum, they roll off below 100hz, and have basically zero output below about 60hz.  If you love rock and roll, you will want a subwoofer to go with them.  Otherwise, your KLF30s will out perform them in the bass department. 

Corner  placement should help. My flush mounted  Belle Klipsch center channel (supposedly very  close to the La Scala in response) actually has a small peak at 60 Hz, then drops like a rock below that.   In the case of the La Scalas @Little Wolf is considering, the response at 60 Hz may perk up due to the LSs being in a corner.  A subwoofer probably will be needed below 60 Hz. 

Little Wolf, be sure to push the La Scalas all the way into the corner, then put some  absorption on the wall at the point at which a yardstick placed flat along the front of the La Scala's "top hat" will touch the wall.  Have the absorber continue out into the room for two more feet, like this (as seen here with one of my Klipschorns): image.png.89fac0c0b93f463f202871b25ef980f7.png

This idea came from Chris A's corner horn post on this forum, and it seems to work well.  Paul Klipsch was fond of saying that, in the bass, corner placement would be like multiplying your amplifier power by 4 (compared to the out in the room, away from walls).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I will always recommend La Scalas with enthusiasm.  They are truly one of the greatest speakers out there.  Just be aware of their bass response.  As has been documented many times on this forum, they roll off below 100hz, and have basically zero output below about 60hz.  If you love rock and roll, you will want a subwoofer to go with them. 

Good evening Tarheel. I made a video a long while back (that keeps getting blocked then released due to copyright) that a/b'd some basic EQ settings to defend against this exact statement. While I totally agree with and highly recommend the option to employ a sub, to say basically zero output below 60 Hz, well folks can take a listen here:

• Like 1

I have owned both and for Rock which is what I primarily listen to the KLF just slams. The La Scala has a better midrange by a mile but if you want to feel those kick drums you will 100% need a sub. I have 2 pairs of La Scala's and no KLF's so I say get the La Scala's demo both sets in your room with your favorite tracks and then sell the pair that comes in second.

6 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

Good evening Tarheel. I made a video a long while back (that keeps getting blocked then released due to copyright) that a/b'd some basic EQ settings to defend against this exact statement. While I totally agree with and highly recommend the option to employ a sub, to say basically zero output below 60 Hz, well folks can take a listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3BvwaE5d8

Certainly you can EQ some output below 60hz, but in stock form, it ain't there. 

4 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

but in stock form, it ain't there

Not true at all. It starts rolling off, but there is plenty of low end.

Best thing is to drop the mids 3-6db.. then as you increase the gain to get your mids back, there is more apparent bass.

Cheers,

Bruce

• Like 2

Since some seem to take issue with my statement about LaScala bass, let me clarify. 

The La Scalas are down by about 10dB at 40hz and by about 15dB at 30hz, which is where the lowest fundamental is for a bass guitar.  In my opinion, that is not satisfactory bass for enjoying rock and roll; perhaps its fine for Jazz.  Sure, you can EQ it up, but if your plan involves adding 15dB of EQ boost to get your bottom end, I'd urge you to reconsider.  You'll suffer lots of compression and IMD as a result.  Far from ideal.

I love my LaScalas, but I'd follow the recommendation of many people on this forum over the last 20 years or so.... use them with a sub for maximum enjoyment.

• Like 3