Now we're talkin'.....KPT 904 outdoors

jimjimbo

Jim, the grey/orange EAW horned “Frankensteins” I owned used expanded metal for grills covering the entire front motor board, not the individual driver(s). I can’t imagine they made a perceptible difference in sonics but I’m not one to run an analyzer with and without them mounted. 

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

How would these metal grills affect the SQ/acoustics of the woofers?  Recommended, not?  Thanks.

https://www.parts-express.com/Steel-Mesh-2-Piece-Grill-for-15-Speaker-Black-260-430

@Chief bonehead

I have a contact that can build a complete grill for the front if you would prefer to do that.

KPT-942.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

How would these metal grills affect the SQ/acoustics of the woofers?  Recommended, not?  Thanks.

https://www.parts-express.com/Steel-Mesh-2-Piece-Grill-for-15-Speaker-Black-260-430

@Chief bonehead

I have metal grilles on my 942’s. Rockhound set me up with his guy. I was also worried about how it would affect the sound. They’ve been installed for about 5 months now and haven’t noticed any vibration/ negative affects on sound. I’m very happy with the purchase. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I have metal grilles on my 942’s. Rockhound set me up with his guy. I was also worried about how it would affect the sound. They’ve been installed for about 5 months now and haven’t noticed any vibration/ negative affects on sound. I’m very happy with the purchase. 

Thanks, Rockhound and I have been in touch.

Well, that’s not quite the case. I don’t necessarily get sucked into a tradition or a transition from one side or the other. My desire is to experiment with different configurations and systems and amplifiers and speakers just for the hell of it basically… I am honestly not “chasing“ anything, it’s just a matter of seeing what is new to me and having some fun with it.  
personally, I think having a specific audio “goal“ is somewhat counterproductive, at least for me.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 9:27 PM, jimjimbo said:

I think having a specific audio “goal“ is somewhat counterproductive, at least for me.

Well I wanted to sit next to the 32' organ pipes and that was a specific goal. I wanted that realism and those double 15" woofer bins you now have are what made me wonder just what was possible.