1985 KLIPSCHORN ROSEWOOD SPEAKER SYSTEM

MartinW

What is the general consensus on the AK-2 crossover? Do most people just replace it with the AA crossover? Obviously these speakers are beautiful to look at, but would I be downgrading from an audio point of view with my type AA Khorns with the real k400 metal horn? 

Easier to change it to an AK-3 Network.  You have to remove the T5A autoformers and replace them with T4A's, change the coil value from 4mh to 5mh (IIRC) and replace the two 70uf Aerovox Caps in the woofer circuit inside the access door with two 50uf caps.  They won't sound bad but the AK-3 is better.  The networks are not easy to change on these as they are in two pieces (1 Part in the Top Hat and the other inside the woofer access panel) and everything is soldered together.  No terminal strips.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:17 PM, Schu said:

Is it rosewood or Brazilian rosewood?

I can't remember my codes off hand.

From the Heritage Codes:

+++

RL Rosewood Lacquer Brazilian species

RO Rosewood Oiled Brazilian species

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

What is the general consensus on the AK-2 crossover? Do most people just replace it with the AA crossover? Obviously these speakers are beautiful to look at, but would I be downgrading from an audio point of view with my type AA Khorns with the real k400 metal horn? 

I suggest you read on the Crites website what Bob had to say.  It would be better than me interpreting what he said.

"Here is a picture of our Type AL-3 crossover for the LaScala. We recommend that the Type AL used in LaScala speakers be replaced with our Type AL-3 or Type AA or Type A/4500."

https://critesspeakers.com/crossovers.html

Dave's Opinion:  The Type AA's are sweet sounding at all SPL.  You can use the OEM K-77 tweeter with this one, 6000 Hz XO point.  I used to own Type AA's in LS and Khorn.

A-4500 - Lowers the XO point to 4500.  The stock K-77 cannot handle the lower XO point.  A more robust tweeter is required and in the Crites world that is the CT-120 or the CT-125.  I belive most people like the CT-120.  I have never heard either one.  I owned the A-4500 and used it with my 1978 Khorns.

AK-3 Most consider this an excellent sounding XO.  I have never heard it.

+++

I ran my 1978 Khorns with the Crites A-4500 and a much more robust B&C DE-250 coupled to a 12" SEOS waveguide, on top of the Khorn.  The sound was a MAJOR upgrade IMO.  The sound was much more full as more content came out of the tweeter section.

1314365747_KhornSEOSrighttopview.thumb.JPG.d2effb3b6477f4782f252ccfdcec14f3.JPG1492215419_KhornSEOSDNA-360.thumb.JPG.cb64b0461a7aedf6cea952cd5b6801af.JPG

• 3 weeks later...