1985 KLIPSCHORN ROSEWOOD SPEAKER SYSTEM

MartinW

On 4/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, wvu80 said:

The stock K-77 cannot handle the lower XO point.  A more robust tweeter is required

The stock K-77 can handle the lower XO point with a steep enough XO slope.  In the Klipschorn of the Middle Ages it crossed over at 6,000 Hz at 6 dB/octave.  EV designed and used the T-35 (the K-77 was a selected and tested T-35) in their speakers for years with a 12 dB/octave XO of 3,500 Hz

I used this configuration in an undergraduate experiment to determine the relationship between frequency range and preferred sound pressure level, using the finale of Beethoven's 7th symphony.  Of course, participants did not know the independent variable (frequency range as preset by the experimenter).  One participant set the level to peak at 110 dB, full frequency range.  The tweeters survived and are still being used in our bedroom for TV 45 years later.  In the (more or less standard) exit interview, I asked this (and every) participant if there was anything he thought I should know about him.  He said, "Yeah, I'm a mixer for Bill Graham." 

Starting somewhere in the AK series, at least by the AK4, the K-77 got a 4,500 Hz XO, higher than EV's but lower than Klipsch's old XO, and a tweeter saving 36 dB/octave slope.

• Thanks 1