Refurbing KLF-20

alyssbo

Hello, looking to refurb a pair of KLF-20's.  They need the backs glued professionaly, a new bass driver as one is torn, and I'm open to any upgrades while work is being done.  Anyone know of a reputable store or person in or around the North East PA?  Even willing to travel a bit to get this done.

• alyssbo changed the title to Refurbing KLF-20

if you have adhesive issues then you will (or do) have issues with both the front and the rear baffles as both are installed with the same hot melt adhesive. If you plan on taking them apart then do yourself a favor and repair both baffles all in one process and don't wait to repeat later on when the other baffle starts to make noise. You should remove the melamine from the baffles (not hard to do) at the glue joints and then you can bond with white wood glue (PVA) which will last forever and be far stronger than the original hot melt joint. You should install brace work while they are open (also remove the melamine to bond brace work). I have rebuilt two pairs of the three I have owned including swapping the vents from the rear to the front on a pair I built for my daughter while she was away at school in smaller quarters, the front vents allowed her to place them close to the walls to save space when it was at a premium. I regret that I did not flip the position of the mid and the tweeter by cutting off the top of the front baffle and flipping around as this will place the mid horn closer to your seated ear level. Hope this helps

KLF 20 or Quartet rebuilds 029.jpg