Virtually No Mid Bass On Heresey IIs

PhxKlipsch

So i picked up a pair of Heresy iis yesterday for $300 bucks. I got a good deal on them because the fella said the tweeters were not working. Alright no big deal i have an extra pair of tweeter diaphragms in my closet. I pop those in and hook them up to my parasound amp with an emotiva pre amp. There we go! the highs and mids sounded truly amazing but wheres the bass? I mean i heard heresys lack bass but i am getting virtually no bass not even mid bass. Woofer seems to be working fine i can feel it vibrate and if i turn it up super loud the bass starts to come out. But at that point its too loud, any ideas of whats going on? Ive heard heresys sound great with drums. But when i put on Pink Floyd i feel myself trying to pull the drums and bass drum kick foward. Everything else sounds perfect they image great. But the lack of drum kicks and bass lines mess with the soundstage to me. 

4 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

How are they set up in your room?  On the floor?  Stands?  How close to rear/side walls are they?  Is your Emotiva pre amp set to run them full range?

I have them on there original floor stands. I have them about a foot away from the rear wall. That's all I can work with in my apartment right now until I get a house. Just seems like the bass is two rooms over. In fact I can hear the bass better in my bed room. It may just be the set up of my living room. It's not ideal. But I had a pair of Klipsch rp-150m that seemed to have more mid bass and kick drum thump. I would assume the heresy would be way better in that regard. 

Is it possible somebody tinkered with the woofers and they're wired out of phase with respect to each other? You sure you wired your amp to the speakers correctly?

I'd pull the woofers and verify they're wired + to + and - to -, and while you're in there take a peek at the crossover and see if somebody tinkered with the components.

If all is good then I'd say you're experiencing poor room acoustics. Yeah; you have to crank Heresy's to get drum impact, or just buy a subwoofer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhxKlipsch said:

But I had a pair of Klipsch rp-150m that seemed to have more mid bass and kick drum thump. I would assume the heresy would be way better in that regard. 

It's likely the RP-150M's were designed to give the impression of "more" while they may not actually be flat across their frequency response. You're not gonna sell a lot of small speakers if they don't sound like they can produce bass. Also, the position you had the RP-150's in may have contributed to their performance. Any chance you can temporarily put the Heresy's in the same location just for test purposes?

1 minute ago, Peter P. said:

It's likely the RP-150M's were designed to give the impression of "more" while they may not actually be flat across their frequency response. You're not gonna sell a lot of small speakers if they don't sound like they can produce bass. Also, the position you had the RP-150's in may have contributed to their performance. Any chance you can temporarily put the Heresy's in the same location just for test purposes?

No I had the 150ms on 28 inch stands. No way I could get the heresy tweeter to that height. I think it may just be room acoustics. If I do give them some juice they do come alive. But my neighbors may not like it. I thought they would be good for an apartment like my old KG4s they sounded good at low levels. The heresy IIs seems like they like some juice.

The Heresy 2  uses the k24k ------which is better than a K22 as far as Bass -----a Heresy ------heavy bass-NO , you would need a K42 ---

-can you take out 1 woofer or take out the rear crossover terminal cup and make sure the woofers are the right  ones ,

check the DCR  with an Ohmmeter ------what do  they read ?

@PhxKlipsch,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, something seems wrong.  I personally feel that mid bass is what the Heresy(I, II, III, IV) does best.  No not deep bass but very punchy and clean mid bass.

On 4/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, Peter P. said:

Is it possible somebody tinkered with the woofers and they're wired out of phase with respect to each other?

My first thought also.

Bill

Sometimes also the varnish of the coil swells and bubbles, resulting in the speaker working but no longer producing bass: in this case it is necessary to clean the air gap and change the coil. To check if there is not this defect, it is necessary to press delicately on the paper cone, the assembly must move freely without too much resistance.

If they are mistakenly hooked up out of phase, that could be the issue. If you stereo has balance, put the balance all the way to one speaker, give it the same listen to see if you now have plenty of bass or not. If you do, something is backwards in wiring whether just the woofer or the entire speaker. 

If you don't have balance controls easily, you could just unhook one speaker.

18 hours ago, PhxKlipsch said:

No I had the 150ms on 28 inch stands. No way I could get the heresy tweeter to that height. I think it may just be room acoustics. If I do give them some juice they do come alive. But my neighbors may not like it. I thought they would be good for an apartment like my old KG4s they sounded good at low levels. The heresy IIs seems like they like some juice.

Heresys were designed to be put on the floor. 

On 4/9/2021 at 1:36 AM, willland said:

@PhxKlipsch,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, something seems wrong.  I personally feel that mid bass is what Heresys(I, II, III, IV) does best.  No not deep bass but very punchy and clean mid bass.

My first thought also.

Bill

After playing them for a few days they really seemed to open up. I believe the guy I bought them from said they were in his closet for a very long time. Just seemed they needed to be played for a little bit. Moved them a little farther from the wall and turned them up to a nice level And they have a very nice balanced sound. Not boomy like my old KG4s.

• Like 2