I am Looking for the BEST UPGRADE to replace my stock La Scala Mid Driver compatible with a AA Crossover.

edzu1234

I'm curious of this, too, except on my Belle clones.  Since mine aren't "real", I have no harm-no foul in doing so.  I've pondered rebuilding the upper section of mine (side panels & motorboard) to use that K-510 clone that's on e b a y.  But, I'm not sure it works with the Crites A-55G or a K-55 and the Type AA crossover.

The K-510 driver has a 2 inch throat and is a controlled dispersion (CD) horn.

Two issues, the K-55 drivers are for much smaller throats (adapters are not a good idea) and the K-510 horn will need some high boost (all CD horns require this). This might be more than you are bargaining for.  I am sure you will find folks who have done this anyway and tell you that it sounds great. 

6 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

The K-510 driver has a 2 inch throat and is a controlled dispersion (CD) horn.

Two issues, the K-55 drivers are for much smaller throats (adapters are not a good idea) and the K-510 horn will need some high boost (all CD horns require this). This might be more than you are bargaining for.  I am sure you will find folks who have done this anyway and tell you that it sounds great. 

And that's what I've primarily heard along the way as well.

25 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I am sure you will find folks who have done this anyway and tell you that it sounds great. 

It sounds great....though I've got the 402's.  (my 510 is in a closet)

Once you hear the bigger horns/drivers, there's no going back.  So I guess prudence would say, stay away!  :emotion-14:

1 minute ago, edzu1234 said:

This sounds like I am STUCK!

Not necessarily stuck.

The original question is now murky. Are you suggesting keeping the AA crossover and K-401 horn and just swapping the K-55 driver? If that is what is being asked, then I would leave well-enough alone. IMO, the K-55 driver is a decent driver and is not the weak link of the La Scala.

If you are thinking of upgrading both the Mid driver (K-55) AND mid horn (K-401), then there are some interesting possibilities. However, you should consider the following 1) Are you wiling to make this a two-way system, 2) are you willing to go to active crossovers (DSP, bi-amping etc), 3) Are you interested in a system that has controlled dispersion?. There is much to think about.

Good Luck,

-Tom

16 hours ago, edzu1234 said:

What would be my best option to upgrade and replace my La Scala Mid Driver?   I am using a AA Crossover.   Thanks for your input.

What is currently installed?  K55V solder lug, K55V push pin, K55M?