SM-Mid Size Tower Comparison / Opinions

MarkS3

Hello, first time posting here, looking for some guidance from the community.  I am currently changing my setup from bookshelf/standmounts/subwoofer to towers w/out the use of a sub (for now).  After the sale of my current speakers, i'll be in the market for some small to mid size towers and having enough or satisfying bass is important.  This will be primarily for music with occasional movies/Tv.  My room is not very big, about 200sf - 13 x 15 x 8.5.  Main listening position is on an L shape couch sitting about 9-10' away.  Speakers will flank a piece of furniture sitting about 6-7' (max) apart but ONLY 6" away from the wall unless i pull them out a bit during listening sessions and push them back when done.  The distance from the back wall also depends on the depth of the speakers, which by most of the offerings from Klipsch have me a bit worried.  The furniture in between the speakers is 20" deep and sits a few inches away from the wall.  Powering the speakers will by my Emotiva separates, a PT-100 pre and A-300 amp (150w x ch).  I listen to a wide variety of music, generally fairly low to moderate volume as well.  The speakers that I once owned and gave me the greatest enjoyment were a pair of Tekton Lore Reference, very high sensitivity, great bass response, ZERO WAF which ultimately caused the sale.  Currently using Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 standmounts, very pretty gloss white but not that 'exciting' of a speaker and really need a sub.  For now i'm aiming for something in walnut finish.  

Also, I have never listened to Klipsch only have reviews to go by.  

Budget is under $1,200, preferably under $1k.  Here's my shortlist, would appreciate any guidance/opinions etc.  (disclaimer:  I'm also considering other brands in this price / size speaker category)

RP-6000F  (too deep?) 

RP-5000F 

RP-4000F (only come in black ash) 

R-620F & R-610F (only come in black)

Thanks

@MarkS3,

Welcome to the forum.

Of what you have listed, I would go with the RP-6000Fs all day long.  They are fine well balanced speakers that can hold their own in stereo, with or without a subwoofer.  

19 hours ago, MarkS3 said:

RP-6000F  (too deep?) 

I can't completely decide that for you but from how you describe your room, I say no not too deep.

Bill

1 hour ago, BadChile said:

What about the Lore Reference failed the WAF test, and how do any of the Klipsch speakers address this?  Just curious....

Not sure what you mean.  Every speaker I own has passed the WAF.  She likes the warmth of real wood so never been an issue.

Bill

14 minutes ago, BadChile said:

The OP said he had some Lore Reference that didn't pass the WAF. If Lores didn't pass the WAF I'm not sure Klipsch Reference/Reference Premier would...

Yes I do understand but what if it turns out that the wife likes the looks of the Klipsch better?  Very subjective matter.

Bill

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BadChile said:

What about the Lore Reference failed the WAF test, and how do any of the Klipsch speakers address this?  Just curious....

I’d say the reasons would be that they were just painted black boxes with a big driver mounted on the baffle (not even recessed) and I never got around to ordering grills for them which may have helped the situation.  On the other hand, the Klipsch are available in a nice walnut veneer and the drivers would be covered with a cloth grill. At the end the day one never truly knows what will pass the WAF test, but I’d say the Klipsch have more appeal. 

DB3C4B32-7DAF-436B-815E-3A9B93F17F8E.jpeg

22 hours ago, BadChile said:

That was going to be my question, too. I'm assuming it was the color of the Tektons, because if you replace them with a pair of Klipsch towers, the size is going to be just as un-WAF-y as the Tektons. However, if it's the speaker's finish, then any Klipsch tower with comparable specs will meet your needs.

Since they're mentioned..........I have a pair of R610f speakers attached to my 1965 (?) Fisher 440T. Budget and impatience necessitated purchasing them. I am truly impressed with them price notwithstanding. They just sound wonderful to me. Of course I want more (Belle is the current infatuation) but they are far more than I expected and have sold me on Klipsch. What really surprised me is the bass from them. I expected a lack but it simply isn't the case at all. And I'm single so WAF is of no consequence.                  :D

• Thanks 1