Replace brass jumpers?

AndreG.

I recently shortened my speaker-wires and now have some length left. Now i´m wondering if i should make some jumper-cables to replace the brass jumpers on the bi-amp wire terminals of my RF3s. The cable would be Audioquest Indigo. What are Your opinions and experiences, audible difference to justify this mod?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

LappKC35.thumb.jpg.10290045a802a62ae02bf4aba74f0d23.jpg

before I redbuilt my RF7 II into the RF7 EvoTec I used this solution and it worked very well .

looks like some sort mutant embryo face huger from an Alien movie. all kidding aside yes jumper wires with spade and or banana connectors are to be preferred to the stock flat plate factory jumpers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, MicroMara said:

LappKC35.thumb.jpg.10290045a802a62ae02bf4aba74f0d23.jpg

before I redbuilt my RF7 II into the RF7 EvoTec I used this solution and it worked very well .

Those sure are pretty but I gotta wonder if it's really that noticeable why Klipsch wouldn't replace those jumpers in the first place on all of its higher end speakers...

21 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Those sure are pretty but I gotta wonder if it's really that noticeable why Klipsch wouldn't replace those jumpers in the first place on all of its higher end speakers...

From what I could find on the Internet, Audioquest Indigo are the equivalent of AWG 13, cross-sectional area of 2.63 mm².

The jumpers were probably at least 1 mm thick and at least 5 mm wide, cross-sectional area of at least 5 mm².

Perhaps 50 mm of 5 mm² brass conductor is being replaced with perhaps 200 mm of 2.63 mm² copper conductor, configured in a loop (inductance).

Copper has about 4x the conductivity of brass, but the copper is about 4x the length of the brass, so that's a tie. But the copper has half the cross-sectional area of the jumper, so it has twice the resistance as the jumper (not to mention the extra inductance).

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 10:36 AM, Edgar said:

From what I could find on the Internet, Audioquest Indigo are the equivalent of AWG 13, cross-sectional area of 2.63 mm².

The jumpers were probably at least 1 mm thick and at least 5 mm wide, cross-sectional area of at least 5 mm².

Perhaps 50 mm of 5 mm² brass conductor is being replaced with perhaps 200 mm of 2.63 mm² copper conductor, configured in a loop (inductance).

Copper has about 4x the conductivity of brass, but the copper is about 4x the length of the brass, so that's a tie. But the copper has half the cross-sectional area of the jumper, so it has twice the resistance as the jumper (not to mention the extra inductance).

so based on that info, is it worth it to replace the jumpers with wire?  can the average person or a trained ear really hear a difference between the 2?  is there a klipsch authorized wire for this?? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

so based on that info, is it worth it to replace the jumpers with wire?

Probably not.

can the average person or a trained ear really hear a difference between the 2?

Almost certainly not. An extra foot of speaker wire would have greater effect. Would anybody worry about an extra foot of speaker wire?

is there a klipsch authorized wire for this??

Yes -- the original jumpers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, Zen Traveler said:

If you have a deeper look onto the origin Klipsch Bi Wire Terminal you´ll see that even the bindig post are not the origin Klipsch. These are from WBT Germany and made out of ofc copper. Of course, at this stage of my first moddys on the RF7 MK II I used another internal speaker wire as well. Otherwise the whole thing doesn´t made audible sense.

wbtpolklemmen.jpg.5dc571b0d7de7eaa8e47897665dc117f.jpg

Another point I would like to discuss with all of you ...If the Bi Wireing with seperate jumpers are nonsens and not audible at all, why in hell 98 % of all  loudspeaker manufacturers in the world market are installing these Bi Wire Terminals with 4 Binding post in their Speakers ? I mean they can save material / production / design costs to make a simple 2 way Terminal instead.

• Like 1